Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by banjoping View Post
    but I would suggest a lot of people on this site almost live in their shed, so I would be looking for effectiveness as well.
    8 hours a 5 day working week then shed time on weekends. I'd say
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Yep, I get that. (shed roof off ect. )

www.brandhouse.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    8 hours a 5 day working week then shed time on weekends. I'd say
    Holy moly!!! I guess the one good thing is that you would lose a lot of weight in the summer in an uninsulated shed if you were working these hours.

This could be an unfortunate side effect!!!

Running a home based business it's like being a mushroom. I have air in the office but, but 30º+ days still aren't fun.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?:

Roof Paint, Roof Insulation, Roof Restoration, Reflective Paint, Concrete Paint: Cool Paints

The testimonials published on the web site look interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with this stuff?:

Roof Paint, Roof Insulation, Roof Restoration, Reflective Paint, Concrete Paint: Cool Paints

The testimonials published on the web site look interesting.
    Would maybe assist increasing reflection and decreasing heat via radiation?? You will still have issues with conduction and convection heat however.

Default Insulating paint

Some time ago I spoke to the government energy office about insulating paint. The insulation part of it is rubbish. A skin of paint is going to stop heat transfer?? The paint makers might claim that a shed painted with their paint is 10 degrees cooler than a dark shed - that might be true but having a shed made out of white/cream Colourbond will be just as good and ordinary white/cream paint will reflect as well as some expensive stuff.

Bigawse
    I have a 5 x 4 metre shed and I glued 45mm polystyrene to the underneath of the roof. I think it works, but the problem with a shed is having windows and leaving the doors open for extra light. Steel conducts heat very well so if it is 40 degrees outside then the steel will just let that radiate through. I think that a shed would have to be insulated on all sides and the roof to get it noticeably cooler in summer, and as soon as you have doors or windows open, the warm air gets in there. Be grateful we don't have freezing winters!!

Quote Originally Posted by beer is good View Post
    Some time ago I spoke to the government energy office about insulating paint. The insulation part of it is rubbish. A skin of paint is going to stop heat transfer?? The paint makers might claim that a shed painted with their paint is 10 degrees cooler than a dark shed - that might be true but having a shed made out of white/cream Colourbond will be just as good and ordinary white/cream paint will reflect as well as some expensive stuff.

Bigawse
    I have a 5 x 4 metre shed and I glued 45mm polystyrene to the underneath of the roof. I think it works, but the problem with a shed is having windows and leaving the doors open for extra light. Steel conducts heat very well so if it is 40 degrees outside then the steel will just let that radiate through. I think that a shed would have to be insulated on all sides and the roof to get it noticeably cooler in summer, and as soon as you have doors or windows open, the warm air gets in there. Be grateful we don't have freezing winters!!
    Agree with both your comments above, and that beer is good.

We still do not double glaze as standard in Australia, which given our extreme climate is fairly ridiculous. Hopefully, as six star energy effiency is introduced next year, we may see more window manufacturers offering it, and the price coming down appreciably from where it is currently.

Default $$$

How much does the anticol foil backed insulation cost.??

Default Double glazing

Quote Originally Posted by banjoping View Post
    Agree with both your comments above, and that beer is good.

We still do not double glaze as standard in Australia, which given our extreme climate is fairly ridiculous. Hopefully, as six star energy effiency is introduced next year, we may see more window manufacturers offering it, and the price coming down appreciably from where it is currently.
    I have read that double glazing is much better at keeping heat in (in a cold climate) than it is in keeping a room cool. Glass is very good at letting heat through an unshaded window. So maybe, rather than having double glazing, we should keep the sun off the windows - orientation of the building, awnings, blinds etc.

+1 beerman, and also that it seems easier in general to keep heat in than keep it out. It's much easier psychologically to keep the doors and windows shut when it's cold outside than when it's 35 degrees in the shed. As soon as you open it up to airflow it won't matter if your insulation is perfect for radiated and conducted heat, you've just turned on a very efficient convection heater. This unfortunately happens a lot anyway even if you can resist the temptation to see if it's cooler outside than the stinking hot shed, because we need airflow to remove the nasties that end up in the air - dust, odours, drying finishes...

Banjo, my insulation is definitely better than sarking - I've handled both and sarking reaches clearly higher temps on the inner surface. I note that the ICANZ tests don't mention anything about the aircell other than the generic name 'bubble foil'. Want to buy a plane blade from me? Care what brand it is or it's size or thickness? Let's just leave it at you not liking aircell products, and me being happy with mine. In the end it probably doesn't matter that much for the reasons mentioned in the paragraph above; you'd do better by putting the shed under a tree and organising a cool breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle Shirt View Post
    Banjo, my insulation is definitely better than sarking - I've handled both and sarking reaches clearly higher temps on the inner surface. I note that the ICANZ tests don't mention anything about the aircell other than the generic name 'bubble foil'. Want to buy a plane blade from me? Care what brand it is or it's size or thickness? Let's just leave it at you not liking aircell products, and me being happy with mine. In the end it probably doesn't matter that much for the reasons mentioned in the paragraph above; you'd do better by putting the shed under a tree and organising a cool breeze.
    No worries mate, we will leave it at that. And you are right about the brand, there is now a bit of imported rip off stuff coming in, so I would stick with the original (ie Air Cell).

AirCell have a couple of excellent products that we do use- check out their Insulbreak80 thermal break. Perfect for stopping heat transfer say from corry external cladding through a metal frame. Acts as insulation, a vapour barrier, and a thermal break. Easy to use and cost effective.

Permishield is also a similar excellent bundle.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

For Banjoping: I see that nobody has commented on my use of polystyrofoam. Am I off beam in using this material (and therefore ignored as a pseudo-charlatan, whatever that might be!) Or is it a matter of being cost effective? On that topic I thought $250 for all the walls of a 5x3 metre barn was pretty good, but of course I'd be happy to learn of anything better (in performance or cost).

I'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the temperature insulation characteristics of the poly. Another MAJOR reason that I used this material was for sound proofing (read reduction) as the barn is close to neighbors houses. This aspect in particular won't work properly until the roof is done, so it's difficult to tell just yet (still plenty of sound leakage).

All comments are most welcome (even if I am painting myself as a nutter - plenty of us on here I'm sure!).

Regards, Brett

Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    For Banjoping: I see that nobody has commented on my use of polystyrofoam. Am I off beam in using this material (and therefore ignored as a pseudo-charlatan, whatever that might be!) Or is it a matter of being cost effective? On that topic I thought $250 for all the walls of a 5x3 metre barn was pretty good, but of course I'd be happy to learn of anything better (in performance or cost).

I'd have to say that I'm pretty pleased with the temperature insulation characteristics of the poly. Another MAJOR reason that I used this material was for sound proofing (read reduction) as the barn is close to neighbors houses. This aspect in particular won't work properly until the roof is done, so it's difficult to tell just yet (still plenty of sound leakage).

All comments are most welcome (even if I am painting myself as a nutter - plenty of us on here I'm sure!).

Regards, Brett
    I don't have any technical info on polystyrene alone, but for gods sake we build esky's out of the stuff and entrust our sacred beer to it so it must be the best stuff possible, surely? !

It is obviously a very effective insulator as it is used extensively in cold stores/cool rooms/refridgerated goods storage/wineries etc. And it is quite expensive to buy if it is already clad to sheeting.

$250 for the walls of that barn is indeed a very cheap price for that material- you have done well I would say.

FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view

Cheers Banjo. No need for an esky here (1000 metres or 1 kilometre up). Still need a beer holder though: have to stop my fingers sticking to the bottle.

The other reason I used it is because it's so fast and easy to install. Not quite cut to size? No worries, just push a bit harder into the cavity, or a quick trim with a knife.

Brett