Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll Rigging

As the youth say nowadays: "Whatever".

Voting Henman? Yes, it's petty, but the number of arrogant and abusive messages I've had from English friends and relations since the mighty crushing of the Wallabies (by one goal kick in the last min of injury time - truly a steamrollering of our boys) certainly makes me think "why the hell not". Of course, since it is sports PERSONALITY of the year, maybe neither Henman nor Wilkinson should be considered???
    Agreed. It's amazing how suddenly half the country became dyed-in-the-wool Rugby fans. The only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner Maybe they should vote for Beckham instead. But then they haven't just won the soccer World Cup, have they

gatiep, 'whatever' was surplanted by 'talk to the hand' about 3 years ago around my way. Slightly more amusing but just as impertinent
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

This from the Ananova news web site:

Ananova:

England rugby team on stamps for Australia

England's rugby heroes are to appear on two 68p stamps - the letter rate to Australia.

Subject to royal approval, two first class and two 68p stamps will be issued on December 19 - the day before the last posting date for Christmas.

The stamps, expected to sell in huge numbers, will include scenes from last month's 20-17 victory by England over Australia in Sydney.

A Royal Mail spokeswoman said: "Royal Mail's special stamp programme commemorates important events and anniversaries, and it doesn't get much better than winning the Rugby World Cup."

The stamps will not be available in time to send Christmas cards to Australia, as the last recommended posting date is December 8.

Story filed: 16:31 Wednesday 3rd December 2003

SC
    Havn't heard that one around here yet but suppose it will be making its way over here. Perhaps it got lost crossing the Nullabor

Nice day to all

Default Personality...or lack thereof.

Hi all,

I was born in the UK 39 years ago, and don't remember the '66 Soccer World Cup, but when I was a child I do remember the British teams being beaten pretty regularly by virtually everyone.

Roll forward 36-odd years, and they win, nay _finally_ win, a contest in the last minute of extra time by a solitary kick. Against a team everyone though had no hope, and they were ranked World Number #1. Hmm, an overwhelming win crushing and completely humiliating the more favoured antipodean opposition?? No. It was a lucky win, it could have gone either way.

One win in 36 years in a comparitively low-key sport, what would happen if they ever won the soccer world cup? Mass hysteria, followed by a sharply rising birth rate nine months later? Get a grip...

I think the main thing was not that they won, it was _who_ they won against, and _where_ they won. Aussies have been wiping the field/pitch/floor/arena with English sporting teams of many flavours for decades, I suppose we can/should allow them to have their fifteen minutes of fame, after all it may be another three and a half decades until the next triumph.

...and what's this about Johnny Wilkinson having a personality? Has he had a transplant recently, last I saw of him, he was Mr Bland 2003. Do you have to actually have a personality to win British Sporting Personality of 2003?

...Now, spare a thought for the poor Kiwis. They were the form team, and they blew it. Poor buggers, I bet they can't go out in public over there. IMHO I think the NZ media was completely feral, and should be ashamed of themselves.

;-)

Mick