Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

All the old furniture was never sealed on the inside, this includes drawers.

A

All of it?

Well, I don't know about all of it, but I guess most of the old pine frame and ply wardrobes and chests of drawers I've ever looked inside were unfinished. I've not looked inside or underneath many antiques though.

Interesting topic. It's one of those things I took for granted that you would do on any bit of 'fine furniture' but I can't find anything that says it's even recommended, let alone mandatory. The texts tend to be along the lines of "if you intend to finish the inside, then it's sometimes best to do it before assembly", which implies that it's optional.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    All of it?
    It was, and still is, built to a budget, go to any furniture shop and have a look inside the furniture, its not finished.

The only people who finish the inside of furniture are hobbyists.

Al

Looks better finished on the inside. I suppose its a matter of design too and where the cabinet was placed. If it was a piece that would be positioned at eye level and unfinished parts would be visible when opening a door or drawer then it would be better finished on both sides for appearance sake. Haven't taken much notice before but checking out a few local furniture stores. I found the furniture I looked at wasn't actually finished on the inside.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Steph - digging deep into my memory here. Chests of drawers, anything that will hold clothes or even food? were not finished inside e.g. only the front of the drawer would be finished. I think this is to ensure that the contents do not take up the finish, colour and smell.

Personally, I would finish the inside of the tv cabinet, but I wouldn't be inclined to oil it. My very personal preference would be for shellac. However, I'm not building the project, you are, so it's your choice. Does that make sense?

Cheers
    Wendy

good point Wendy, i'v noticed that insides of drawers were unfinished too, lot's of drawers where also made of aromatic cedar inside...
    Hurry, slowly

With the nicer old furniture I've seen and owned, the rule seemed to be that if it was seen, finish it. If not, don't. The insides of armoires are usually finished the same as the outside, but if there is a drawer, the inside is not finished.

I've tended to stick with that rule, and have never had problems with furniture splitting or cracking. IMO, the splits and cracks I have seen come from not allowing for movement rather than finishing one side only.

Tex

I finish inside everything. Partly for the equalization issues, but mostly because I reckon the smell of lacquer is far better than the smell of mould, which is what you get when you're in the wet tropics.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Generally, not much furniture is finished on both sides. Take a chest of drawers for example...the inner frame would hardly ever see the light of day, and as ozwinner said, theres always the budget.
    For me, I wax the runners and dividers of drawers, and wipe in orange oil on the insides of drawers.
    On the other hand, a cabinet with glass panelling would be finished on both sides, because of the insides visibility...its case by case

Most old furniture that is finished on the inside was done by some well meaning hobiest or restorer who didn't know better or that it was never meant to be polished.

Not a lazy thing and not because its cheaper but in most instances it was done so the timber could draw moisture away from the items that were to housed in the item. For instance drawers, bookcase, blanket box etc, etc. Wardrobes usually had the inside of the doors finished but the rest left raw. Sometimes it was to allow the natural timber oils or gasses to stop moths silverfish etc from attacking paper or cloth stored in the item

There is usually a good reason that something was done. Although some well meaning restorers may think they know better, the actual fact is that in most instances they really don't. I have seen many valuable antiques devalued or ruined by well meaning but ignorant restorers.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post

There is usually a good reason that something was done. Although some well meaning restorers may think they know better, the actual fact is that in most instances they really don't. I have seen many valuable antiques devalued or ruined by well meaning but ignorant restorers.

good call Neil...

<br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    <br/>
    Hurry, slowly

Whoo hoo! This will save some time!

I'll quiz you about it at the ww show this weekend, but when you mean unfinished, I'm assuming this means nothing - no shellac, wax or anything. I'm ok with the inside of drawers, but what about the underside of tables?

Cheers,

Tom

What a great point of debate and division.
    Timely, also There was a "Damascus" reformation possible to Chris Schwartz, Editor of Popular Woodworking, only recently if you read this link:
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...To+Finish.aspx

Ultimately, his change reflects the heading of the article, Stopwatch and Smell as I summarise it. If he used more tissues, it may be solely an economic rationalism.
    Neil, I respect your views immensely (w/o intentionally wanting to be labelled as sycophant or crawler), BUT is there an element of self-perpetuation of a view? Were the early woodworkers even more aware of the extra time and effort and uncertaintity of benefit of staining interiors whereby they erred on the side of caution? Have we thereafter perepetuated their approach w/o fully considering why?
    BTW, thanks for a good post to chalk up my 200 milestone!
    CJ
    Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly Anon
    Be the change you wish to see in the world Ghandi

Okay, I'll weigh in on this. Haven't a clue as what is truly the best method, but the ol' timers around the piney woods always said you didn't finish the insides or under side so the wood could breathe.

p.s. If I ever sound like I know what I'm doing I guess there's two fools here.

just because old timer did something does'nt meen it was the best way...

i seriously recommend sealing the underside of any panel, such as a tabletop, you don't want to see the results if you only varnish one side, it ain't pretty...
    Hurry, slowly