Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

From the looks of these old pics of the Pike River mine , they have been spraying something around the shaft wall .
    Lime ?

That looks more like cement sprayed on the sides and roof/back.

I saw the video they released, the one showing the tunnel entrance and the explosion. Going by that and the mine plan they also showed, sorry.

I feel deeply for the families here. Anyone who has worked in underground coal would understand.

I just hope they get the recovery completed quickly and give the families closure on this.

Peter Whittall was saying that the dust that blew out of the portal in that cctv video was from the pulverised white stone dust that is used for fire suppression on the walls . He didn't say what type of stone it was.

Your blokes over Perth way are sending a bigger and better robot over . And the Yanks have one on standby too .

Thanks guys .

Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post
    Firstly and foremost my thoughts go to the families of the miners.
    I know how my wife reacted when Appin blew not to mention the night I came home part way into my shift covered in coal dust and a huge bandage from an accident at the pit.
    Was that when Mick Kelly was there ? I used to work for him.

I've been down Appin, pulling instrumentaton out of the chocks years ago.

It's a pity the media are so hopeless explaining the situation, all teh armchair experts wondering why the gas levels are stopping rescuers going in. They are gradually pointing out it's explosion not breathing that's the problem, but the reports are hopeless.

I saw a report that the survival area was deserted. Not good.
    I'm just a startled bunny in the headlights of life. L.J. Young.
    We live in a free country. We have freedom of choice. You can choose to agree with me, or you can choose to be wrong.
    Wait! No one told you your government was a sitcom?

Quote Originally Posted by damian View Post
    They are gradually pointing out it's explosion not breathing that's the problem, but the reports are hopeless.
    Explosion risk and breathing are both issues. There are still high levels of methane and also other gases such as carbon monoxide in the mine. There is still combustion going on somewhere in the mine.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by cultana View Post

A couple of things that has me a bit perplexed with this.
    1. Where exactly did this explosion take place? Was it in the access shaft at the fault zone or further inbye?

2. Every picture I have seen of the insides of this mine and these were portrayed to be in the coal area it is black. Ok I know they are mining coal and coal is black but from my past experience working in the Aust coal fields we use to spray limestone powder about in thick quantities. This was to reduce the effect of a methane and coal dust explosion; it diluted the coal dust whipped up when an explosion took place.

3. What I have seen of the mine plan via a NZ paper it appears somewhat convoluted re ventilation hence a return airway issues.

Just thoughts.
    1. The explosion appears to have occured a fair way into the mine. The access shaft runs for roughly 2km on an upwards gradient to the first workings. The access shaft runs through granite until it crosses the Hawera Fault where the granites are faulted against a younger sedimentary section that contains the target Brunner Coal Measures. From the maps and cross sections I've seen and my recollection of the geology of this part of the Paparoa Ranges the fault is crossed near the end of the access shaft. It is at this point or somewhere deeper on in the workings that the explosion most likely occurred. The Hawera Fault would have a significant fracture zone associated with it and its possible for methane to migrate along such fractures. However its also just as likely that the explosion was sourced from methane contained within the Brunner Coal measures themselves.

2. From the plans of the mine the ventilation system appears to consist of the access drive and a single vertical air return shaft located at the first workings.

3. See here for a useful paper (PDF format) on the design of the Pike River Mine: http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent...2&context=coal

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Default Breaking news

News has just come in from TVNZ 1 that there has been a second explosion at the mine and all 29 men are thought to be dead .

That's sad news indeed for our Kiwi cousins and the Queensland families.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
    News has just come in from TVNZ 1 that there has been a second explosion at the mine and all 29 men are thought to be dead .
    Yep confirmed on other news sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Groggy View Post
    That's sad news indeed for our Kiwi cousins and the Queensland families.
    Aye Groggy , it is .
    There are two lads from Scotland and one from South Africa down there too .

Old mates from all over eh

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
    That's terrible news.
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John

Condolences to all the families and the Greymouth community.

Michael

I heard the PM on the radio and he thanked Australia for the help that was sent.
    We don't know how lucky we are......

Unhappy

Terrible news indeed. My sympathies to all the families and the Greymouth community.

Horrible news
    Neil