Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default TS conversion

To convert your TS from 4" to 6" connection I would buy a 6" coupler. One with a threaded end would be good.
    Then I would cut away the 4" connection from the TS until it was just large enough to start the threaded section.
    It does not matter if it goes in cross threaded - all you want in enough purchase and grip for the thread to hold
    As that joint will be under negative pressure it does not matter if it leaks because the leak will be inwards and most table saws starve the duct of air anyway and need opening up.
    If it bothers you that it leaks you can use a sealant on the outside as the negative pressure will usually hold it there.

The other thing is the cross section shape of your blade guard is going to generate significant turbulence - like this.

In other words the shape will make the air flow fight itself.
    I know you are trying to constrict the opening of the guard above the table to help speed up the air but that shape will impair flow and so reduce down the air speed
    It would be better if the shape was the other way around.
    The main purpose of the guard is to stop as much dust being flung off the blade as possible so what matters is the size of the gap between the guard and the table which should be kept small - but not zero.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Great Advise and Help

WOW, looks like I got the help I need to really improve on my initial ducting connections. This is the first dust extractor I have ever owned and it seems that I have to correct quite a few flaws in the design that were not apparent to me in the sense of importance. I seen the little bit of dust around some of the leaks but I just figured with the size of the unit which I thought would be more than ample, it would still have enough to handle one TS. I have my list of things that I am now going to correct and look into. Thanks John Samuel for the info on Bill Pentzand his site, this information is invaluable and I just wish I had found it before, Bob L I will be installing a gasket between the drum and the bag to eliminate leakage, will be changing the inlet on TS to 5". Going to install 6" PVC pipe (clear) direct to impeller input and then add 6-5 Wye Tee to base of TS, will also redesign dust port for blade. If all that doesnt significantly improve I will look into remounting blower on a steel frame to reduce flex line from blower to drum. But first, off on vacation for a week, will get back on it and post pics and let you know what the differences are when I get back.....Thanks again for all the help

Ron,

We are both beneficiaries of the knowledge of Bill Pentz and BobL. Until recently my shop was a disaster ... made yours look like an operating theatre. Bill and Bob made it possible for me to transform the shop at short order. Still playing around with some fine tuning, but that likely never stops completely.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with help and suggestions. This forum is the best thing that happened to my woodworking since I bought tools and started fooling around with wood.

Ron, your shop looks like a full scale production area with all those stacks of panelling. What are you up to?
    Last edited by John Samuel; 2nd February 2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Oops

Hi Bob
    You will be pleased to know that I have given in and added a 3Hp DC to the 2Hp I bought from the insurance money
    Every day is better than yesterday

Cheers
    SAISAY

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post

Bob, that is the worst photoshopping I have ever seen! But I do like the concept for those who choose to continue using the bag and filter.

Doug
    I got sick of sitting around doing nothing - so I took up meditation.

Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    Bob, that is the worst photoshopping I have ever seen! But I do like the concept for those who choose to continue using the bag and filter.

Doug
    I could do a lot worse if you want

Quote Originally Posted by John Samuel View Post
    Ron,

We are both beneficiaries of the knowledge of Bill Pentz and BobL. Until recently my shop was a disaster ... made yours look like an operating theatre. Bill and Bob made it possible for me to transform the shop at short order. Still playing around with some fine tuning, but that likely never stops completely.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in with help and suggestions. This forum is the best thing that happened to my woodworking since I bought tools and started fooling around with wood.

Ron, your shop looks like a full scale production area with all those stacks of panelling. What are you up to?
    Hey John, just got home from vacation and now its back to work we go....those panels you see are the rough cut panels for kitchen cabinets, all are dado'd and ready for assembly, 18 cabinets to construct for a small custom kitchen

Ron,

With that volume of work going through your shop, dust collection is likely important for you, and for your health. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the issues you raised.

Did you use a dado blade or a router to make the dadoes? I generally use a dado blade because the larger table of the saw and the nice fence gives me better control of the work.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by John Samuel View Post
    Ron,

With that volume of work going through your shop, dust collection is likely important for you, and for your health. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the issues you raised.

Did you use a dado blade or a router to make the dadoes? I generally use a dado blade because the larger table of the saw and the nice fence gives me better control of the work.

Have fun!
    My shop vac served me well for years on smaller jobs but now that I am getting into larger orders this was a necessity. Have already installed a gasket around the bag and sealed off all the leaks, rearranged the blade intake to the front of the blade, dont have time to change up the flex to PVC these fixes will hopefully help until the job is done then I will have time to address the other issues.
    Yes, I used a dado blade to make the dadoes, 8" 46T does a 99% clean cut with very little chipping, have always done it this way, never used a rounter for dadoes,dont trust it for a clean enough cut. The sled on the tablesaw ensures me of a square corner every time. Will post pics later. Cheers!!

RonB,

I love my sled. Made a new one that worked with my blade guard recently, and dust capture improved remarkably. Details are at the thread below.

https://www.woodworkforums.com/f200/m...chines-161166/