Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    We don't have a TV - what's your excuse?!
    We went through several years when the kids were younger of not having a TV. It was great. We got more sleep. The kids would have their friends over, and the friends would be stupefied, "where's the TV???!!!" then rush out the door. Our friends would talk about world events, and SWMBO and I would look at each other, saying "Wha...?"

Then, I dunno, TVs just started appearing in the house. Now we've got three of them. I occasionally watch the ABC news, though less and less as time goes by. I just get sick of the same-old same-old, politicians' suck-up sound bites, the latest terror attack, the latest celebrity scandal, blah-blah... Apart from that I watch DVDs: samurai and vampire movies, the occasional film noir. The boys never watch TV, except to eat tea in front of Neighbours: quite a good show: good straight Aussie drama. Oh, and The Simsons, but that's over before I get home, but which could be the best American show ever shown on TV. Their main use of the TV is as a display for Nintendo, PlayStation, etc., which is a far better use of a screen than just passive watching. They often play multi-player games with their friends, requiring very sophisticated negotiation, communication, planning, and feedback activities, all while shooting the crap out of the bad guys; what could be better than that (except shed-time, of course)?

Oh, forgot, I also watch Dr Who and that Blues program on channel 2. See? there are some good things on TV.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwood
    Number 2 son plays on the primary school basketball team. He's big and tall, and would be quite athletic if he wasn't so addicted to chocolate.
    Mate get him into volleyball. (Go seethe Mt Lofty Rangers, top club in Aus). No running required, just a big jump and lots of height.

My son's only 11 months so he's a bit young to be playing around in the shed. As soon as hes walking though I'm sure he'll toddle down to see where dad is. I've had my 8yr old nephew over a few times and we made a sign for his dogs kennel and a stick with a piece of wood on the end resembling a mallet. (His mum was NOT impressed)

Takes me back to a wonderful day spent at my grandads (Not the cobbler-grandad whose bench I now have, the other grandad) who was a carpenter and home woodworker. We made laminated cutting board for my mum and.....a cricket bat! Man I thought it was the coolest. I'm sure that bats still kicking around at my mums place. A jarrah cricket bat.....awesome. And it was the only time I'd ever seen him sober for more than an hour
    Cheers,

Adam

------------------------------------------

I can cure you of your Sinistrophobia

Quote Originally Posted by LineLefty
    Mate get him into volleyball. (Go seethe Mt Lofty Rangers, top club in Aus). No running required, just a big jump and lots of height.
    might take you up on that. However, sounds like it would involve weekend transport ;( :>

His mum was NOT impressed
    Bit of a grump, is she?
    And it was the only time I'd ever seen him sober for more than an hour
    lol :>
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by apricotripper
    Not the world's most spectacular box, but a good chance for father/son shed-bonding.

It doesn't matter what you build really. Spending time with him while hes young is something he'll never forget. Thats what matters I think.

I've got 3 daughters and no sons. So its a little different. They don't seem to want anything to do with woodwork. They just ask me to make stuff for them and don't attempt to get involved as much as I try to encourage. Its just not their cup of tea. Such is life.
    Apricot, i have 2 girls, 5&3 and they join me in the shop to help clean up, or do some sanding etc, but it is because i also do art and craft with them. Get involved and do some painting and make faces out of cardboard and stuff, and they will slowly join you in your activities too.

hey apricot

my 4 year old girl loves the shed time with me, i introduced her to the ride on mower when she was 2 .
    mate she can mow the lawn as good as me when i help her steer it
    to watch her pick up the chooks by there tail feathers brings a tear to your eye.
    i reckon anytime you spend with your kids in the yard away from the idiot box are times to remember

Quote Originally Posted by Farm boy
    hey apricot

my 4 year old girl loves the shed time with me, i introduced her to the ride on mower when she was 2 .
    mate she can mow the lawn as good as me when i help her steer it
    to watch her pick up the chooks by there tail feathers brings a tear to your eye.
    i reckon anytime you spend with your kids in the yard away from the idiot box are times to remember
    You all sound like good parents.

I'm not doing too bad I think. Sometimes I'll suddenly realise that I haven't spent much time with them lately, so I'll conjure up some kind of project.

Recently, I went into a toyworld and sussed out a kite design. Those 2 string, big ones that are easy to control. And we made one up ourselves. My wife sewed it up, went out to the beach, worked well. A great day. those designs are easy to control so every kid got the hang of it.

But on the whole they seem to be more interested in painting, sewing, etc.
    They seem to bore of woodworking. My eldest just says 'seeya dad' and just walks off while I'm in the middle of trying to show her some woodworking. The cheeky bugger ....

Quote Originally Posted by dan_tom
    but with so many pieces of machinery with the on/off switch at exactly her eye height
    I have 2 boys, 8 and 10. I get them involved in the shed as much as I can.

Having to use extension leads for the table saw and router table I am in the habit of switching of and unplugging at the wall and at the unit itself. I hope if they ever sneak in it will be too hard to work out Dad's madness to get a machine to work.

My Dad was not one to take his son's into the shed and I feel we missed out on many oppurtunities because of this, something I am trying hard not to repeat as a father.

Sadly one of the boys doesn't enjoy going to Bunnings.......