Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I use trend Pc cillan, I used to have norton but found it to be impossible to remove once it was installed, and the number of updates required used to slow my dialup to a halt. Also used McAfee, it was terrible, it buggered the registry which I had to manually correct myself, this was the direction given by McAfee technical support as there was no other way, this is a common problem with their version I had 3 years ago, I can only hope it has improved.
    Trend Pc Cillan has not let me down yet, I also use spybot and adaware as well as firewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by graemet
    particularly when it wants to check all your outgoing email,
    Which you can configure it not to do if you wish.

then when it thinks an incoming email is a virus because it has an .exe file attached, it won't even give you the option of receiving it. Anything my software bloke wants to send has to have its extension changed to exs or something like it and then renamed by me at my end.
    Again its all in the cofiguration, I can configure it to accept different file extentions.

No Norton popups saying "Aren't I great, I've just blocked a virus for you, come and look how clever I am."
    I dont get those because, guees why? I configured it not to do it.

The only way you know VET has been working is to look at the log file.
    Just like Norton, if you know how to drive it, hey Im a bricklayer and I can figure it out.
    Al

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    II used to have norton ... and the number of updates required used to slow my dialup to a halt.
    Umm felixe, I hope I'm explaining the screamingly obvious and you're well aware of this, but all those updates are what keep your computer safe. They are new data files, new program updates to handle new viruses (you know, the ones that are digging into new parts of your computer and can't be handled by new data files). Regular and frequent updates is safer than not so frequent. Your antivirus, no matter how good, can only catch the stuff it knows about.

Richard

Hi, Ive been on the net a WHOLE 3 months, started my computer with a clean install (Win98SE) and did all the microsoft updates before they stopped support for 98. Had on Norton Antivirus, Adaware, Spybot killer, and Zone Alarm, all updated. I finished the norton/adaware/spybot and zone updates, as well as the scans, rebooted, and something wasnt right. Downloaded AVG Antivirus (free) just after rebooting, installed, scanned and picked up a heap of stuff that the others (including norton) didnt. I have now found out that a mate of mine who builds/ fixes computers for a living who always swore by Norton now wont use or recommend anything other than AVG. It has my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by tameriska
    Had on Norton Antivirus, Adaware, Spybot killer, and Zone Alarm, all updated.
    like my old mate confuscious used to say.......

Quote Originally Posted by confuscious
    Confuscious say "blessed are the newbies who advertise their personal internet security arrangements in public forum for they shall be hacked severely"
    benchdog
    Dont waste your breath trying to explain the rules of chess to a pawn

Default hate payin for anti virus stuff

Sh.ts me payin for the stuff that these wan..rs create just so they can charge you to fix it (nortons etc). I use zone alarm pro and have had no problems whatso ever, and , jeez I download huge amounts of stuff. If you want to get software cheaper, go to Bali or somewhere like that, but beware, you need to know what you are looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by tameriska
    Hi, Ive been on the net a WHOLE 3 months, started my computer with a clean install (Win98SE) and did all the microsoft updates before they stopped support for 98. Had on Norton Antivirus, Adaware, Spybot killer, and Zone Alarm, all updated. I finished the norton/adaware/spybot and zone updates, as well as the scans, rebooted, and something wasnt right. Downloaded AVG Antivirus (free) just after rebooting, installed, scanned and picked up a heap of stuff that the others (including norton) didnt. I have now found out that a mate of mine who builds/ fixes computers for a living who always swore by Norton now wont use or recommend anything other than AVG. It has my vote.
    Funny how that works cause my own tests found the complete opposite conclusion. I deliberately infected my computer and AVG couldn't find a think whereas Norton's found everything.

Ask 10 computer nerds the same question and you'll get 11 different answers.

99.9% of the problems attributed to viruses and the likes on computers are simply superstition and paranoia. Since the dawn of time human nature has blamed the unknown on something evil or something super natural. I've been on the net for decades and have gone to hundreds of dodgy sites so I've picked up a few viruses and such over that time, even so they're still fairly rare. If I were an average user over the same time frame and avoided the p2p programs, the crack sites... I probably wouldn't even be able to count the number of infections on the average cabinetmakers one hand (ever notice that a lot of cabinetmakers are missing digits).

Quote Originally Posted by sawdustmike
    Sh.ts me payin for the stuff that these wan..rs create just so they can charge you to fix it (nortons etc). I use zone alarm pro and have had no problems whatso ever, and , jeez I download huge amounts of stuff. If you want to get software cheaper, go to Bali or somewhere like that, but beware, you need to know what you are looking at!
    ZoneAlarm is only intended to stop other naughty computers from outside from taking over your computer. It will not pick up viruses and trojans, nor does it have a chance at stopping ads.
    You still need a good virus detector and also run a program such as HiJackThis every so often.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolin Around
    99.9% of the problems attributed to viruses and the likes on computers are simply superstition and paranoia. Since the dawn of time human nature has blamed the unknown on something evil or something super natural. I've been on the net for decades and have gone to hundreds of dodgy sites so I've picked up a few viruses and such over that time, even so they're still fairly rare. If I were an average user over the same time frame and avoided the p2p programs, the crack sites... I probably wouldn't even be able to count the number of infections on the average cabinetmakers one hand (ever notice that a lot of cabinetmakers are missing digits).
    Element of truth in this, I've had no viruses in 8 years - I don't bugger around with P2P for a start and stupid sites.

Quote Originally Posted by havenoideaatall
    I don't bugger around with P2P for a start and stupid sites.

You must live a very boring life

Quote Originally Posted by Toolin Around
    I've.....gone to hundreds of dodgy sites
    Cool. Care to post the links?
    Retired member

Just go to www.altavist.com
    And type in .
    Not that I would do such a thing of course. :eek:

AL

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Just go to www.altavist.com
    And type in .
    Not that I would do such a thing of course. :eek:

AL
    Whadaya do Al, just click on favourites?
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Whadaya do Al, just click on favourites?
    Please.....
    Im much more refined than that.

I have all the addresses memorised.

Al