Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whatever you do buy a 4 stroke! I have a 4-stroke Briggs and Straton mulch and mow and it's never let me down. Stay with the two strokes for your brush cutter/whipper snipper that's a great application for them.

Ciao,

M.

I bought a Toro self drive 4 stroke a big machine but it is guaranteed to start on the first or second pull or they will fix it so it does. It has three choices a rear catcher a side exit or a mulch. I use the mulcher all the time. Best thing outside of a woodworking machine I have bought
    les

Many thanks for the replies guys.....the only thing is, no-one really mentioned ree (Cylinder) mowers compared to rotary mowers. Does anyone have advice on what type to get?

Which is better for a soft leaf buffalo lawn?

Thanks

I had a cylinder mower it cut only good lawn not grass. If you want a bowling green finish go for it. The one I had a BS motor auto adjust speed of cutting heavy grass. It worked for a time then it became US. I would never buy one of those again
    les

Default Mowers...

One piece of free advice.

DON'T BUY A TALON 4 STROKE!!!

I did, from a place that rhymes with Runnings - what a load of CR%P. Breaks down, can't get spare parts!

I went to get a spark plug from the very place i bought it from, and the bloke laughed and said "no, don't have them. that's what you get for buying a GMC!". "Well", i said. "It's NOT a GMC, it's Talon, and I bought it here". No more smiles then. Even the blokes that work at that establishment don't like them.

Save your bikkies and buy a decent mower - I'm going to.
    A man who thinks that it can't be done shouldn't interrupt a man who's doing it........

Thanks Guys

I have looked at the Hondas as you mentioed however they are very pricey......what about Victa, ROver etc, I know someone has already said in a previous post that Rovers are good.

Also (its funny when you ask a few guys at work) what would you recommend to do the edges.

One guy I know uses shears, my boss uses a wipper snipper, my father-in-law reckons you can't go passed an edger?

Any thoughts?

The mower I fixed is a Masport with a Briggs & Stratton motor, dad bought a Rover with a Briggs & Stratton motor. Like I said, they are much better than they used to be. Not a Honda, but not a Honda price, either.

I have a Kawasaki brush cutter for the trimmings, and also a Ryobi (also courtesy of my brother). Haven't used the Ryobi yet, but it is just a line trimmer - smaller and lighter than the Kawasaki. Will probably end up using it a bit more because of it's lightness.
    Semtex fixes all

Arry, had a Jim's franchise for 5 years in a previous job.

As mentioned already, Honda make some of the best engines and mowers, and I'd not hesitate to recommend the same, if you can afford it - they are expensive, but quality doesn't come cheap.

Masport and Rover make pretty mowers too, often with briggs engines though.

Briggs engines aren't in the same league as Hondas IMO, but will still give good service provided you maintain them well, ie. change the oil reguarly, clean the air filter, use fresh fuel, etc. Their higher end overhead valve motors are much better than their cheaper units though.

Four stroke motors are relatively heavier and have more moving parts than two strokes, but are much more fuel efficient, cleaner running, quieter, longer lasting - it's no contest for a lawnmower motor I reckon - 4 stroke is definitely the way to go.

Victa mowers are an institution but the quality just isn't there unless you buy towards the top of their range

When buying a mower, a couple of points - aluminium decks are better IMO as they don't rust like steel, but do wear quicker over the long term. Larger wheels are easier to push than smaller ones, ball bearing wheels are better than bushed for the same reason. The ability to fit 4 blades (instead of just two) is better for cutting lush wet grass. Swing-back mower blades are easier to maintain that a solid bar blade, and cheaper to replace.

Price is generally a good indicator of quality.

How you maintain the edges depends a bit on how often you are prepared to do them. It is easier and neater to maintain the edges than to let them overgrow and have to heavily cut them back.

Using some sort of powered machine is definitely easier than doing them by hand

If you do the edges every time you mow, just maintain them with a whippersnipper the same as virtually all contractors. This takes practice to do them neatly but it will come. The whippersnipper is also used to trim around garden beds, trees, etc.

On the other hand, you may prefer a powered blade edger for example the Atom model here. My father in law has one and loves it, and it is probably easier for a novice to produce nice neat edges along a path with one compared to a whippersnipper. A lot more expensive, though, and less versatile. There are other cheaper powered blade type edgers around too.

I think you would be best going to different mower shops to research & see what your money will buy and set a budget. Look at features that your money will buy, and see which ones are more relevant to you.

If you will need your mower, edger, etc serviced by someone other than yourself, take into account the quality of service that you receive at each place you visit.

Good luck............cheers..............Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Many thanks for your responses, especially Sean as you obviously put a bit of time into responding?

Now I just need to make a choice )

i have had an old victa toe choper. the kind that puts you in the victa word of the hospital.

but now have 2 mastport mowers with 4hp briggs and straton motors on them and would never go back 4 stroke is so quiet and clean. get one with a B&S mottor nim not so sure on honda.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

I was in the same boat a while ago.

Was going to get the Honda Mulcher mower for $720ish, but ended up getting the Masport 4in1 Genius mower. It's got a 6HP B&S, 8" Mags with proper bearings, it mulches, chips and catches. Main reason I picked it over the Honda was the extra features and the adjustable handle. I'm tall and the missus is short, and the standard height handles on normal mowers me off to no end.

It starts first pull, has heaps of balls (but enjoys drinking lots) and even tho it weighs 37ish KG, it is super easy to wheel around. It cost $750 which is more than the Honda. I super happy with it, although sometimes think I should have went with the Honda instead at the price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Arry View Post
    Many thanks for your responses, especially Sean as you obviously put a bit of time into responding?

Now I just need to make a choice )
    Arry

don't get carried away, you only have to mow 60sq.m — that's about twice what I mow in about 5 minutes with an old electric flymo.
    It takes longer to get the mower out and put it away than it does to cut the grass!

ian