Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The nearest small shop to me at work at this time is Harris technology, they only accept unopened returns - I did ask the guys there and they said a switch "should do" but I don't like my chances, but I will try!

Yeah, I know and I kick myself for not listening. What I should have done and have done since then is to log onto the d-link web site. I typed in my requirements and the router recommended was a 704p or 704up so that is what I will get.

Could not get out of Italics - sorry!

I will not say I told you so. But I did!
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Yeah I know!

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... I was(am) busy.

I've read the book, I've glanced at what everyone else says & I reckon it should work.

Attached is page 41 of the book BUT.... in the fine print on page 40 it says....

Not all service providers support multiple user service. For information about multiple user service, contact your cable service provider.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

My router must be an old model, it just cuts wood.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you... I was(am) busy.

I've read the book, I've glanced at what everyone else says & I reckon it should work.

Attached is page 41 of the book BUT.... in the fine print on page 40 it says....
    Cliff, I think that small print hits it on the head. They will only support ONE ip address. So that means either a router, or a computer must maintain the connection and then distribute the traffic to other computers connected within the LAN. If a router is connected for instance, as far as the provider is concerned, all the traffic is going to ONE ip address only. The fact that the router can then distribute it out to as many computers as you like is of no concern to the service provider.

The diagram shown in your link would require different ip addresses to be distributed from the provider to each individual computer because the hub or switch can't. And as the small print says, they don't. (Unless you pay for the extra connection maybe)
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Downloaded the page, and it shows me exactly what I have set up, it is a lovely picture of my current situation. I have spoken to Optus and they said you can use a switch but I would really have to know what I am doing.
    Conclusion, the switch is not a good idea! I should go with the router.
    Bugger - oh well, off to ebay to sell the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by felixe
    I have spoken to Optus and they said you can use a switch but I would really have to know what I am doing. .
    That doesn't make sense to me. Why would they have developed routers if switches will do the job? Did you tell them it was for sharing the connection?

Anyway, the switch shouldn't have been too expensive. The type I use at work are only $30

I was at tandy today and a broadband D-Link router is $79
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Default Network address translation

The ISP will only allocate one IP address for a cable connection. In order for more than one computer on your network to use this IP address, there must be a device that provides what's called NAT - network address translation. This is where the router comes in, it translates the different IP addresses used on the PC's into the single allocated address from the ISP.

The router gets a different IP address for each of its connections - the cable modem side connection gets the ISP allocated address, the internal connection to which the PC's connect to is given a different address (Usually in the 192.168.0.0 range). The PC's are configured to have this internal router address as their default gateway.

Most small routers have an inbuilt switch to allow for a number of PC's to connect to it.

Felixe,

My setup is virtually the same as yours - different brands of modem and switch - ADSL rather than cable - but the principle is the same. A switch works fine for me.

Also the modem works fine with no switch and with one computer connected to the usb port of the modem and the other to its ethernet port. Windows treats the usb connection as a "virtual ethernet connection", so the whole shebang acts like a normal ethernet network.

Someone mentioned that simultaeous use of the usb and ethernet connections is not supported. True, it is not supported by the internet service provider (too hard for them to troubleshoot) but it is supported by the modem and it works - otherwise why would they bother. Still, I do not recommend it as usb is troublesome and tends to lock up often. I had mine working that way but find the switch much easier and more reliable.

It is the modem that makes the connection to the ISP and is allocated an ip address. The isp can't tell whether there are one or 100 computers attached to your side of the switch. The modem and your ISP are on one network - a wan. The computers on your side of the switch are on a different network - your lan. The reason that a router is necessary is to translate and route traffic between the two networks. It doesn't work quite as Gumby said but he's on the right track and I don't know enough to explain it any better.

You referred to your modem earlier as a router and I would almost bet that is does include a router since it has both usb and ethernet ports. My Alcatel modem certainly does. I note that Cliff has found the manual for your modem. I did a google search but could not find it.

If it includes a router there's no need to shell out for another separate router - just have to figure out how to configure yours.

regards
    Coldamus

is there an echo in here :confused:

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby
    is there an echo in here :confused:
    Probably, but the SnowySkiesAu guy knows what he's on about. Also you guys type faster than me, so I will butt out from here on. Would love to see that manual though!

regards
    Coldamus

Quote Originally Posted by Coldamus
    Probably, but the SnowySkiesAu guy knows what he's on about. Also you guys type faster than me, so I will butt out from here on. Would love to see that manual though!

regards
    Coldamus
    It's his post I was referring to. He said what I'v been saying for 3 days

But if his modem was also a router, we wouldn't have ever stared this topic. It would have worked straight out with the switch.

I have the manual, it can be downloaded from http://broadband.motorola.com/consum...5101_UG_EN.pdf
    and I am currently reading through it.

I forgot what else I was going to type:eek:

Now I remember, I did tell the optus tech guy that I was sharing a connection and that was the answer given.
    Cliff mentioned previously he thought it was highly probable that it contained a router, I should have gotten of my #### sooner and researched it properly. I will let you know if it does and if it can be configured.
    This is all very new and interesting.
    It still would be easier to buy a router but I can be a stubborn bugger!!!!!!!