Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask your details even if they ring you
    No it's not unreasonable to ask, but it is unreasonable to expect me to give it to them. If it's good enough to identify me to them over the phone, then it's good enough to identify anyone pretending to be me too.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    I'm not sure if there were too many big words used or if it was too hard to get authority to spend the $275.00, but it was all miraculously fixed without any further conversation.

Being an employee (and a shareholder) of one of those organisations (Though not in the retail end of the market).... I am guessing it was too hard to get the authorisation to spend $200....

I am also with Silent, how do you know Brad was from the NAB and it wasnt some scam.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

I don't blame you at all Silent, I probably would have done the same thing as you can never be too careful these days.
    I had one of those typical calls you get at around 8pm from a person with a "Non-Australian" (not trying to be racist) accent telling me that a brand new mobile phone was going to be sent to me!! I told them that I wasn't interested and didn't want a new phone, They were very suprised and said all I had to do was confirm my name and inform them where I worked????? What did that have to do with receiving a mobile phone I asked, They advised me that this was very important information and I had to tell them, I informed them that it wasn't going to happen and hung up. Muppets!! I often wonder how many people get sucked into traps like that.
    It's better to be thought of as a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt!

Pre-emptive stike time, Darren.
    Ring the bank's head office and tell them you've had what you believe was a phishing phone call, from someone calling himself Brad. Be really helpful & friendly to them, and ask them to drop you a line and let you know the result of their enquiries. Might also be worthwhile alerting the community via your local talkback to the latest "phone phishing" scam. All in the community interest, of course.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Are you using the navy definition of Muppets by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    Pre-emptive stike time, Darren.
    Ring the bank's head office and tell them you've had what you believe was a phishing phone call, from someone calling himself Brad. Be really helpful & friendly to them, and ask them to drop you a line and let you know the result of their enquiries. Might also be worthwhile alerting the community via your local talkback to the latest "phone phishing" scam. All in the community interest, of course.
    Alex, Well thought out response, good working of the system.... I am impressed.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

I thought of doing just that, Alex (except the local talkback bit - we don't have one!). Trouble is, they might take the opportunity to ask me what I was going to do about my outstanding balance!
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Gulp!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

What if he was phoning to telly you he'd won Lotto!!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

P (who can't be overdrawn, we've still got two cheques left!)

Default Telllstra

We had similar problems with TELLLLLLSTAA always calling trying to get our business back. As my partner has severe anxiety she is unable to argue with people and just accepts what they say.

They had been told never ever to ring and to add that to the field on the computer with our account details. "yes sir, we wont ring again"

Twice more they rang and each time were told bluntly to look at the text and then explain why they were ringing.

Third time they managed to convince my partner to change back which suspended my internet from another carrier and all sorts of issues.

Got it changed back eventually and told them to add that any future calls will be met with abuse.

Fourth time they rang and were met with a torrid of my most fluent abuse

After this I sent them a letter stating that if they call again that i will initiate harassment charges under the Telecommunications Act.

havent heard back yet

Plicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I don't think it's unreasonable for them to ask your details even if they ring you. What if somebody else answered your phone and they gave away some of your private details. You'd be pretty I think.
    Have to admit, you've got a point. After all, you could be pretending to be the person who should be picking up the phone, but aren't. (I mean you are picking up the phone, but's its not yours to pick up.....)

The fact that someone may have or know your DOB is another matter...

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    If it's good enough to identify me to them over the phone, then it's good enough to identify anyone pretending to be me too.
    :confused:
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Actually I'm not sure if I should be talking to you lot unless you quote your DOB, your account numbers, your pin numbers etc with every post.

Have to be careful don't we?

Several years ago (before we decided to get a silent number), my wife was accustomed to receiving two or three calls per week, asking for charitable donations.

She answered the phone one time and the following conversation ensued

Caller: "This is the Hodgkinson's Disease Society. Is that Mrs Driver?"

SWMBO: "Yes it is but look, we donate quite frequently to various charities..."

Caller: "Yes, I realise that, Mrs Driver, but ..."

SWMBO: "And really, I think it's a bit much being pestered at home like this."

Caller: "Well, I'm sorry if you feel that you're being pestered..."

SWMBO: "I mean, I think a person is entitled to a bit of peace and quiet in her own home."

Caller: "Yes, but Mrs Driver ..."

SWMBO: "Especially when they are quite generous with their donations. I think, in fact, that I bought a ticket for one of your raffles the other day."

Caller: "Yes! Mrs Driver..."

SWMBO: "Did you say the Hodgkinson's Disease Society? Yes, here it is on the fridge. I mean, pestering me when I've already made a contribution. It's a bit much..."

Caller: "Mrs Driver! Please stop talking! I'm calling to tell you you've won second prize in the raffle! You've won $1,000!"

SWMBO: "Oh! Er .... thank you very much."
    Driver of the Forums
    Lord of the Manor of Upper Legover

Quote Originally Posted by Driver View Post
    Several years ago (before we decided to get a silent number),
    If it's a silent number, how do you know when somebody is calling ? Surely you don't sit there watching for a flashing light to go off or something ? :confused:

It's always intrigued me so I have to ask.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

You make a good point, Silent. I mean, if an email or even a snail mail letter arrived asking for your details, you'd be suspicious, so why is a phone call presumed to be innocent? With the plethora of nuisance calls hassling us these days, it wouldn't seem like a big step for telemarketers to gain info using such a ploy. You done good, played strong.