Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks MOT,
    Is ive said their not inside (yet)
    but i might put a bit of bleach in the water when i clean the kitchen floor and spray onder the dishwasher and fridge.
    I was a naughty girl and put the paddling pool up for the kids last week,
    the roaches crept into the gaps between the supports and the vynal there were at least 20 in there
    suppose it serves me right, divine retrebution from the water mob.

Astrid

Astrid

If anyone around your place has Palm trees the big cochies love them if the palms are then cut down or even branches trimmed they flee to where ever they like.

The small German type can lay eggs in and on boxes which may be brought into your home and the next place they head is for warm electrical appliances such as Microwaves fridge motor or freezer motor area where they can create a colony.

Then if your neighbours have had their place sprayed guess where they'll move to.

Hope you succeed in ridding of them.

we seem to have a few different types,
    but they're outside at the moment, had the same prob last year they disapeared when the weather cooled down.

Astrid

Cockies breeding/life cycle is a 14 day one, so if you 'bomb' them, you have to hit them twice, the second one about 10-14 days later, to get the generation that will hatch from the egg cases after they hatch but before they breed.

Then its the barrier spray to keep out the relatives.

A single application is pretty pointless really - OK, you can get great satisfaction from having one of the big ones do the death scuttle, but you really have to give them the 1-2-3 treatment.

The fungus based 'traps' are also a good idea - they wander thru', get galloping footrot & go back into the wall cavities to die. The fungus then eats the corpse & produces more spores which invade the hidey hole & get into the next invader. More of an on-going no-chemical approach, it takes a while to kill them so you will still some scuttling around.

Introduce a few Maroons aka Canetoads. We usually annihilate Cockroaches!

One of the best cockroach sprays I have used is Mortein Lure & Kill. It brings them out of their hiding places and then where they cross the path of the spray they die.

Some years ago, cockies were spotted around the computers at work, so we set some of those sticky traps. Caught a big one the first night, and she laid an egg before dying. We left the trap to see if we caught any more. A few nights later, there were little footprints all leading away from the egg.
    There must be a moral to this story.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Oh you liar!!

Astrid

Even the electronic pest free wont guarentee against german cockies, a good blue tongue is the only answer though they wont stay inside, as has been said for every one you see theres 100 you dont.
    You can do like the septics cover the house in plastic and use gas,
    The Lure & kill stuff workes great on normal cockies but the crouts just love it , which is a pain in my house as we only have those German types espically aropund the microwaves, coffee machine & dishwasher and I have tried heaps of remedies including removal of appliances taken to the shed sprayed everywear and checked hourly and they are still there ,
    I don't want to talk about this anymore its starting to get to me , I am thinking of getting night watchmen in with small hammers aggggg
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    Oh you liar!!

Astrid
    Moi?

Never, it's a true story.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Well, I can tell you that a mix of instant mashed potato and Borax (not Borat, though he might work) will knock over the Americans OK, but not sure about Das roachenrunningerheiden. I worked in a commercial tropical fish importer's hot room during Uni vacation one summer. We had cockies that could carry chop bones around. This mix wiped 'em out.

Rob

which is the active ingredient?
    Astrid

Astrid, that is a good question!! I think the Borax knocks them off and the spuds attract them. Not sure that Cockies have discerning taste buds.

Don't laugh, but I have heard of mixing something cockys eat like powdered spud, icing suger etc with dry plaster of Paris.

The story goes that the plaster of Paris blocks up the works when it sets and the cockys can't eat and we all know what happens when you don't eat.

Quote Originally Posted by LGS View Post
    Astrid, that is a good question!! I think the Borax knocks them off and the spuds attract them. Not sure that Cockies have discerning taste buds.
    Quite right. The borax contains derivatives of boric acid, which acts as a stomach poison and skeletal irritant. Boric acid is recognised [by many] as the best roach fighter around--non-toxic to humans, etc. Takes a bit of time to work, but thorough and safe.
    Cheers,

Bob