Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by nev25 View Post
    w years grease and fat everywhere YUK

As far as doing it yourself DON'T
    If you put the flue in yourself though the roof and something goes wrong (IE the roof leaks your insurance company is going to say STIFF you should have used a tradesman see you later.
    No compliance certificate no pay.
    Well that goes without saying that if I do something and it screws up, I'll be the one fixing it.
    That goes with all my DIY screws ups ... projects I should say

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by bricks View Post

A Custom range hood definately might affect the operation of the cook top as it hasn't been made as a pair ( normally you can buy a rangehood to suit your cooktop).

Bricks a range hood doesn't effect the cooktop. A poorly installed hood can be dangerous IE you vent into the roof space or wall space - oil fumes can ignite.

The only thing you have to look out for is that if you are using a gas hob you should have a hood that is capable of sucking out a minimum of around 900cfm - (sorry that is just from memory). You will find 75% of hoods dont do that. Also the minimun distance between hob and hood is 600 but usually recomended at 650 for electric and 700mm for gas.

The reason you need so much suction is not so much to do with catching fatty spray, its more so that it can effectivly remove the poisonous fumes that are created when the gas burns.

Nic you sound like you've got a good one there. Those noiseless one's came onto the market just as I'd finish installing mine. Even though mine is noisy I have it on full even when I am only using the smallest burner, you get used to the noise and I can live without the toxins.

Had me worried there for a minute Bleedin Thumb so I did a quick "Google" on burning natural gas and all you get is how clean and efficient it is. What are the poisonous fumes you refer to?

Carbon Monoxide
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Don't want to make a meal of this but according to my research, natural gas consists mainly of methane which burns to produse heat with the by-products of carbon dioxide and water. My concern was because I'm the cook and I only put the exhaust on when I'm cooking smokey, fatty things.

I'm not a chemist, all I know about it is that when a fuel burns, and that includes natural gas, some CO is released. At low levels, I don't think it's a problem, but people die every year from gas burning furnaces that are not burning the fuel properly.

Here's one quote from this link:

Carbon monoxide is created any time any type of fuel — oil, natural gas, propane, kerosene, wood or charcoal — is burned. All of these non-electric appliances produce CO: furnaces, hot water heaters, stoves, space heaters, fireplaces, and wood stoves.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

No Metung I would get into the habit of blasting the extractor every time you cook.

As I said most hoods are woefully underpowered for gas and the ratings they give you are for the thing running full bore...so thats how I cook, the noise kinda drowns out the kids.

CO is only created when the combustion is incomplete, if there is enough Oxygen around and the mix right the combustion become complete and only CO2 and H2O is created.
    So if you stove is creating CO you had better get it checked out.

Nic

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Bricks a range hood doesn't effect the cooktop. A poorly installed hood can be dangerous IE you vent into the roof space or wall space - oil fumes can ignite.

The speed of the oxygen as is mixes with the gas at the cooktop can be directly affected by the range hood.

If this happens then the burner will need to be adjusted to accomodate the extra air or the range hood adjusted/changed to reduce it's pull.

And if complete combustion occurs ( correct ratio of gas and air) you will get Carbon dioxide, and water vapour as a flued material. Carbon Monoxide is a symptom of incomplete combustion.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

And what really annoys me is people who install rangehoods against walls then tile the mongrels in so when they fail and need to be removed it takes 10 times longer to do the job....

CO is only created when the combustion is incomplete, if there is enough Oxygen around and the mix right the combustion become complete and only CO2 and H2O is created.
    Since you've gone from not really knowing to suddenly being an expert, perhaps you could share your google links with us so we can all become educated

Just did a google search

Watch this animation.....
    http://www.ausetute.com.au/combusta.html
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Since you've gone from not really knowing to suddenly being an expert, perhaps you could share your google links with us so we can all become educated
    I still don't know what the relevant regs are regarding installing a range hood.
    but from what bricks said the plumbers warning seems to be genuine.
    I do know some chemistry, didn't know the 2 were linked

Sorry don't have any google links this is all from memory from high school chemistry class. I didn't listen a lot back then but what I did listen to I remember pretty well.

cheers

Nic