Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I'll post this here in case someone comes along later looking for the solution.

Mercury is quite valuable & a lot of places offering to take it off your hands for a considerable fee as 'hazardous material' are just going to take it down the road & cash it in at an industrial metals dealer.

It is toxic if enough is eaten or otherwise absorbed, so don't play with it (it is fascinating stuff) but it was used for medicines into the 20th century so its less deadly than, say, plutonium. If you are over 30 or so, you would have been walking around with a fair bit of it in the amalgam fillings in your teeth, but that is being replaced with epoxy 'ceramic' now.

The body does eventually excrete the stuff, just very slowly. In the gold fields mercury has been replaced with a cyanide process industrially, which strangely enough is also toxic and takes years to recover from.

Quote Originally Posted by TTIT View Post
    Need to get rid of about 1 litre (20 or 30kg) of liquid mercury. Does anyone know if this stuff is of any value these days or where I take such a quantity to get rid of it?????? Currently located at Ballarat.
    Nice to hear you found a home for it!
    BTW A litre of mercury should weigh 13.6 kg?

Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Nice to hear you found a home for it!
    BTW A litre of mercury should weigh 13.6 kg?
    For bloke who spent 2 years working as a scale tech', I do a lousy job of guesstimating weight eh!!! It actually turned out to be 16.3kg total for the three containers
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Default Hi if you still have the mecury ,contact me i will help on [email protected]

Hi if you still have the mecury ,contact me i will help on [email protected]

Another old thread resurrected for no reason as post 9 clearly states that it was sold.

Peter.