Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question

was at a home show the other day and they had a new product out that was a render look paint. Apparantly it can go over any surface. It fills in gaps etc. Sorry can't remember what it is called. it was in hume & iser hardware so maybe at bunnings

Question to echidna I think: if plasterboarding to the wall is what Aggie and co. was going to, how would they make sure it stays in place while the stud adhesive cures? This take up to 24 hours to cure. Assuming we are not going down the shooting/screwing to battens route.

Just stick the gyp up with constuction adhesive, if you have trouble getting the paint off the brick work so will the adhesive... it bonds better to paint than masonary.
    Put a 50 cent piece size blob of adhesive every 150-200mm push gyp against wall pull back off and hold it away from the wall for 5 min, then push back onto the wall for a instant bond strong enough to hold it in place.

Ahhh. I was trying to work out what holds it to the wall while it cures. I expected to need bracing. But the stick, remove, push back method using construction adhesive makes sense. I assume this method increases the tackiness and the plasterboard won't pop off.

Yep all else fails read instructions!
    Works good on wall sheets, I wouldnt attempt a ceiling though...
    After about a 1/2hr-1hr give the gyp another push to make sure its against the wall fully. Occasionaly a few bits of wood at a 45° will help with troublesome sheets, make these up before you start.
    I've done this in my house and you cant get the gyp off without the use of a jackhammer with scraper attachment.(much to the astonishment of my master builder bro in law)
    If your wall is very uneven this method will not work(+/-20mm), so on high spots use the construction adhesive and in the low spots use generous blobs of stud adhesive(has better gap fill ability)and if the low spots are over a large area, fill area with gyp off-cuts/construction adhesive(dont create high spots!).

Thanks Harry. I don't have an immediate need to do this, but will file the technique away for further reference.

I must say though I do enjoy hanging plasterboard. But I never have to do a whole house.

Thumbs up

I'd agree strip the paint off the wallin sections with a wire wheel on a grinder .

Then hit it with fulaprene 303 , fullers product . whach the sheets against it and probably brace the sheets to the floor to keep them straight and level.

job done
    :confused: