Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LPG Conversions

The best way to help everyone is apply the money to Diesel for use by trucks only.
    That way delivery costs would be minimised thus minimising the upward thrust on inflation.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

not just a proposal....the scheme has been operating since it was announced, day before yesterday.

The full details and application forms can be sent to you by calling this number 132846 or going to this web page http://www.ausindustry.gov.au/conten...BF33B2423F9DA6

thanks swiftden!...answers all my questions.

Last year I priced a full conversion to 'LPG only', and it was pretty scary.

I'm not driving much at the moment so the pressure to change isn't on.
    I will sell the car and get an LPG only Falcon (LPG only factory fit). A mates 2000 Falcon wagon gets 600km to 60 lt gas with city driving. Falcons - I don't like Falcons - but thats just a preference.

'Midge fights a strong corner for other options - I'm yet to do the full sums, so I might change my mind.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Question L.p.g.

Being from a rural area, lpg is near useless out here as refill stations are few and far between, but more outlets are slowly appearing.

I still don't have enough info to warrant converting just yet.

Is Lpg produced in Australia or is it imported ,and how much excise will apply in the future?

I think the Howard Govt has missed the boat with regard to sustainable energy research( solar, wind, ethanol,bio-fuels) there must be others that I haven't thought of. They have been reactive on this issue rather than proactive.

The Commomwealth Gov't are not converting there own cars to lpg. Why? They have given a lame duck excuse that I can't even remember.

In conclusion I think this is a short term action, to make it appear the Gov't is doing something. I hope it leads to some longer term action that will do good for the people of Australia.

That's my 2 bob's worth.

Cheers.

I was thinking of doing the conversion anyway; the govt incentive makes it a no brainer for me. I live in the country (provincial city) and travel about 25-30 k a year and at country petrol prices (often 10cpl more than in the city) it seriously eats into the household income. I have talked to several people who have done the conversion in similar cars to my VX Commodore who are delighted. Local availability is not an issue for me and with a full tank when leaving I should have plenty of range to get to a filling station.

Any one know what a gas conversion costs for a Toyota Hiace?[/quote]

Perhaps you should ask Toyota about LPG, Today they replied to me saying our cars were not suitable to convert

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by doug1
    Perhaps you should ask Toyota about LPG, Today they replied to me saying our cars were not suitable to convert

Doug
    That's what I heard on the radio yesterday. Toyota claimed that the higher temperatures of using LPG will cause damage to their engines and that will not be covered by warranty.

Peter.

This will tell you most of what you need to know.

http://www.autogaschallenge.com.au/i...m?Action=MyCar

HJ0

I haven't seen any instances of kit or installers for imported vehicles (I run a 2004 Audi A4 2.4 V6) - anyone know if there are any?

Its a no brainer for me with my ford falcon sedan. If I fit the gas tank, I will be unable to fold the seats down and put long timber (2.4m) in the car for transport from the lumber yard. :eek:
    Regards
    Les

Back in the seventies when we had that fuel price hike I ran a taxi for three years on LPG (there was a local supplier, a dairy delivery business for its own vehicles and they gave the local taxi fleet a fuel supply outlet)
    It was a dual conversion, so petrol could also be used (handy for using the car outside of supply area)
    The gas cyclinder was a nuiance because of space loss, but performance was OK and I most probably came out of the deal after capital costs on the right side.
    So fuel supplies outlets are important or dual fuel use would be needed.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Lesmeyer yes you can. Iam now on my third Falcon wagon all have been on dual ie gas/petrol. My currant is an EA11 what they do is remove the spare wheel and petrol tank. The wheel well is sealed up (usually)the petrol tank cut in half and then for mine 3 scuba type tanks are fitted into where the spare wheel used to go.I can now carry 60-70 litres LPG depending on hot or cold and 30 liters petrol. The spare wheel now mounts vertically between the right wheel arch and wagon door. My Falcon has done 280000 k and on a trip to Adelaide will use about 15L/100K roughly 112 liters at the cost of 55c/L. = $62.
    A mate has the EB wagon petrol only and will cover the same distance on 75 liters @ $1.45 /L =$108. point taken
    My rear seat is down more than up and dont loose any storage space. But 2.4 is pushing over the centre consol

Tony
    I would love to grow my own food, but I can not find bacon seeds

Thumbs down Installation Cost

As another point to this thread its been alleged that some installers are already hiking up the cost of installation on the back of demand ect.

The Govt's in making available the allotted amounts surely kept the installation cost in total locked in perhaps!

Excuse me for bein' cynical but it's to be expected is it not?:mad:

I have a 120l Lpg tank in my Falcon ute which takes up a fair amount of space behind the cab on the (wellside)tray and I dont know what it would cost to install that these days,let alone what tank sizes are available but I do around 600kms a week and there's always plenty left in the tank topping up with around 50-60ls every week.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.