Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks again for the response. I have heard a lot of favourable reports of the electric fences but was a bit dubious of them. I like the idea but being in NSW might be restricted. The neighbour has a bit of his stuff spread over our block and there are a few sheets of mesh. I might hit him up and if he doesn't need it will cut it up and knock it into the ground as Glock has suggested. It will probably be the cheapest way for me to go. Once she knows that she cant get out she stops trying. Electric fence would be fun with the kids though .

Corbs
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.

I currently have a cattle electric fence set up for my two terrors. They are very wary of the wire but one dog is able to get past it anyway.

I initially had a single strand of ribbon surrounding the property, one of the dogs got out and I came home to find the ribbon cut in several places around the house. Later I found out, thanks to a neighbour, that the dog left behind attacked the ribbon, while it was on, and was lying on it, chewing it while being shocked at the same time. The neighbour was screaming at the dog for it to get off but it didn't all the while yelping at the top of it's lungs.

So now I have star pickets and a 3 strand wire setup. As above, one dog can still get past it/through it/over it (unknown to us) when it wants to, the other is stuck with us.

Good thing though, is that once they know about it, you don't need it on any more so the general public are safe. Be careful though, an earlier dog we had a fence set up for developed a slight phobia of wire including coathangars etc.

Corbs

I think the cheapest way of doing this with what is called rabbit footing netting. This is used on the bottom of rabbit proof netting after it has rusted off after about 20 years from being buried in the ground.

Footing netting is 12" wide and comes in a roll. You just roll it out and attach it to the bottom of the fence with a batten screwed or nailed on top of the netting.

You bury the rest of the netting in the ground and where the gap is wide attach an additional piece (or slit it down the centre) to the bottom to give you enough buried in the ground and attach it with netting clips and a pair of clip pliers. You need at least 6" buried in the ground to deter the dog from digging.

You would have to go to a Rural Supplies Merchant to purchase these. The pliers are only about $10 or $12. The clips are cheap but don't know what the netting is worth.

Attached is a pic of the netting the pliers and the clips.

By the way I have used an electric fence to keep the dog off the garden and it works well but agree that in suburbia it isn't the way to go.

Cheers Barry,
    I will be out in Bungendore which is more rural than suburban but will be in an estate so I will leave the electric fence as a last option. I will cost the your great wall of china option (keep the rabbits out) but am thinking the mesh is the go, especially as there are a few sheets already on the block.

Cheers,
    Corbs
    It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it.