Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question

speedy gonzales, what do you have above the door? it looks like steel c section? I like that there is not a lot of architrave etc, our place is not Victorian, it's a Logan home. Have you heard of them? Basically looks like an asbestos lunchbox! we've just had all the Asbestos removed.thanks

The blue bit is some wall insulation as I've not finished off. The top will be done with a wide piece of natural edged timber, when I get around to it.
    I once owned a "ROUND TO IT" but I lent it to a friend and haven't got around to getting it back.

I have heard of logan homes I almost bought one once. :eek::eek::eek:
    If it goes against the grain, it's being rubbed the wrong way!

Hey Speedy,
    I've got your ROUND TO IT. I'll get a round to sending it back you.

Cheers,
    conwood

"I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure"
    Last edited by conwood; 14th July 2005 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo

Big Doors by the way .....

Helga - I have done what youre considering - all the advice (when actual advice was given) is spot on ...... I love French Doors (or should we call them Freedom Doors now???? )

To further reinforce what the others have said:

A nailed on timber weatherstrip will not stay there long I fear ...... Also, I am no fan of Mushrooms - they are the "T" shaped strips that modern double doors have as a weather strip - rebating is the way to go - and once! I did all my rebating on my first French Door project and got it all beautiful - THEN bought the lockset, so my doors started life as covering a 1790 opening and finished up being suitable for a 1735 opening. Bloody dill that I am.

Fixing one side, top and bottom is the way to go - use decent French Door bolts as the lighter/cheaper ones are very easy to push through as I discovered one day when I came home.

Do you have an existing opening or does it have to be made?

can you post a pic?
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Smile

Our house currently has roof, floor and steel frame, so we will be making a door frame to hang the doors in. I priced a double rebate finger jointed primed pine door frame at local building supplies and wasn't that pleased particularly about having to paint it, so we might have a go at making the frame ourselves. When I work out how to do it i will post a picture of doors. Because the doors are recycled, they already have a round hole where a handle once was, I am wondering if rebating will affect this, make it too close to the edge.
    Did you use cathedral hinges on yours so they can be pinned right back? Thanks a lot, sorry i took a while to reply, i was freezing my butt off camping.

hi again

It's good that you dont have to increase openings and that sort of thing ..... I envy you - EVERYTHING I am doing to my place first involves removing what's there and not only is it a pain, it means waste. Anyway enough of that tirade..... Framing material can be expensive but it means buying-fitting, then getting on with life. It isn't that hard to make .....

I think those hinges are called Parliament hinges and yes I did use them on the second set - I didnt do it on the first set and regretted it but learned to live with it as the doors were rarely opened anyway.

above all have fun!

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

We are on a family farm in a beautiful location but please don't be too jealous! We have a long way to go but I have a three bay shed to play in, my fella doesn't mind at all if I use his tools and I am definitely having fun. Thank you Steve!