Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: guess the tool!

Can't help thinking that they wouldn't design that half-circle into the socket without a reason. If the pole/handle had a simple hook in the centre, it could be inserted into the soket, and turned half a turn, locking it in and allowing it to pull the hook back. It could also be simply released, all at arm's length. None of that suggests an actual use, however, except that it's function may have been to sit somewhere, perhaps separating something, until it was moved. Would therefor not show any wear, or need a sharp edge.
    Chipslinger

I found this really interesting so
    I asked on another forum with results such as a==

cucumber peeler

thing for hanging up pot plants

Lopping tree branches ? (By hook or by crook).

Or sharpen the outside edge ...

A whale blubber knife ?

It's a tool for dressing cauliflower and cabbages, downward pressure...

Looks like something to hang up a flag or a torch from a wall or a bridge?

I have emailed a guy who sells old tools but as yet have had no reply.

This next one does sound very plausible IE in lifting the hose to the filler point.
    What do you reckon. Fred

Not a knife for cutting or lopping, i'm going to guess it's something to do with assisting the filling hose for steam trains.
    Cheers Fred

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with the light on.
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/fredsmi ... t_creative"

Updated 26 April 2010
    http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Quote Originally Posted by billrule View Post
    Can't help thinking that they wouldn't design that half-circle into the socket without a reason. If the pole/handle had a simple hook in the centre, it could be inserted into the soket, and turned half a turn, locking it in and allowing it to pull the hook back. It could also be simply released, all at arm's length. None of that suggests an actual use, however, except that it's function may have been to sit somewhere, perhaps separating something, until it was moved. Would therefor not show any wear, or need a sharp edge.
    You may well be right with this, i asked this guy http://www.timelesstools.co.uk/billhooks3.htm

and this was his reply
    Fred,

Sorry you have me stumped, never seen anything like it, I have looked through my catalogue, no reference to anything similar.
    The top looks like it would slot over, so the pole you have it sitting on would continue up through the cut away cap – otherwise why not make it solid.
    The other place you could try is Taths.

The plot thickens as they say, i have emailed taths and will post there answer as soon as they reply.

Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

Updated 26 April 2010

Thanks Fred for continuing the research on this and please thank Mr Bill Hooks when you next talk to him. I'm glad the mystery is keeping a few people entertained. Look forward to hearing what he has to say.

And by the sound of it I have to take back my initial rash statement that it's obvious it goes on the end of a pole.

Perhaps there may have been many slots on the pole so it could be locked at different heights. Maybe it was an adjustable hook in the station masters office for hanging naughty boys up, choose the height to match the boy?

Cheers
    Michael

Thumbs up

Easy peasy!! It's "One of them"!!

I dunno 'bout you blokes, but if I was waving that thing around on the end of a long pole all day, or if I only used it a couple of times per day but had to be accurate about where I pointed it, I'd want the business end to be as lightweight as possible while not compromising strength.

And that looks very much to me like an attempt in that direction; the lower ring instead of a continuous tube, the cut-out in the upper cap...

(Mind you, I've been toying with the idea of making a similarly shaped fishing rod holder to sit over the gunnels of a mates' ol' clinker... )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    (Mind you, I've been toying with the idea of making a similarly shaped fishing rod holder to sit over the gunnels of a mates' ol' clinker... )
    Sell it to ya!

Cheers
    Michael

Reply from another forum.
    Fred if you can wait untill tomorow I will show the picture to my mate he was a Train driver in Melbourne and one of the last to be trained on steam Locos I will ask him.

Update.
    My mate recons it could be the end of a switch stick used for reaching under an old style electric loco and reseting a blown main motor breaker. It isnt exactly like what he has used before himself as there are state differances in train type.

Still not conclusive. Bu@@a

so now heres hoping Taths can come up with the answer.

If not there are other forums. mmmmmmm

Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

Updated 26 April 2010

I forgot to mention it has the numbers 5219 on it. Not stamped... the other way, almost 1mm proud of the surface and 6-7mm high.
    I wonder if I should give it a clean in the bath to see if there are any other marks??

CheersMichael

These replies from another forum in UK.

It's a primitive device used in ancient aboriginal rituals, the blade is not a blade at all but is held between the buttocks and the "handle" should look much more phallic.

Some of these replies are far to sensible, it's obvious really, it's a zoo keepers tool for feeding bunches of bananas to primates in trees; or an over elaborate clothes line prop.

Looks like a dip stick to me (i.e. sheep dipping stick).

could be a tree de-barker?? for hop poles?

The mind boggles

Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

Updated 26 April 2010

Thumbs up

Could it be that the "thing" is not a tool, but a piece of harness or some such??
    I have explored my blacksmithing texts with no results, and just throw this idea into the mix as I reckon if the accumulated knowledge of this forum can't come up with a definitive answer, IT AIN'T A TOOL!!!!!
    Last edited by Lignin; 1st February 2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Correct typos

Might be time for the 'Collectors'

About cleaning. Should I give it a run in the electrolysis bath to see if there are other marks on it?

Other thoughts
    A boat hook
    My stepfather was also in the airforce during the war and could have been any number of bits or pieces that went with that?

Cheers
    Michael

It looks like the thing a tram driver used to use at the end of th.e line for swinging the arm on top of the tram to face the other way. Or would that electrocute him?
    Pugwash.

Never criticise Australia Post. One day they might find out where you live.
    www.clivequinn.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lignin View Post
    Could it be that the "thing" is not a tool, but a piece of harness or some such??
    I have explored my blacksmithing texts with no results, and just throw this idea into the mix as I reckon if the accumulated knowledge of this forum can't come up with a definitive answer, IT AIN'T A TOOL!!!!!
    i was thinking that also maby it isnt a tool but part of a tool.

by the shape of teh end it looks as thow it goes over sompthing tehn abolt is put in teh end to hold it in place.

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Latest update

Sorry, I'm in Derby, but I did work for the railway for 26 years - in their
    laboratories, not on the track.
    The picture looks more like a bracket than a tool which was waved around on
    the end of a long? handle or pole. Water tanks for loco's usually had a
    swinging arm consisting of a 4-6 inch pipe with a length of canvas hose on
    the end. It was supported by a chain from the top of the tower and swung out
    using another chain which dropped down to near the ground where it could be
    reached by the train crew. I can just about envisage the unknown item being
    a resting place to keep the pipe in place when retracted out of use but not
    as a hook to manouver the pipe around. British Rail stopped using steam in
    the1960s but I have seen these towers in use at preservation railways, and
    in my childhood.

Waiting for a response from the museum now.

Cheers Fred
    Cheers Fred

Updated 26 April 2010