Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

re glass, make a template get a glass man to cut it, cheap, now to make it look good, use a clear etch primer followed by your colour of choice, use auto paint. and glue the thing to the wall.
    ps. paint on the back. as the whole glass is glued to the wall, toughening is not necassery, if you use those ss glass fastners you need holes you have to toughen, and the price goes up, [/B][/QUOTE] [QUOTE]Originally posted by peter mikk

Peter with regards to the glass what thickness did you use?

Does the etch primer give it a foggy finish, does it change the surface texture?

very interesting

Thanks

Pulpo

Another question for Peter...
    Can you use non-toughened glass behind a builtin stovetop - will the heat have any effect on it??

Smile glass/stainless steel splashbacks

Hi, I happened across this interesting site during an intensive search for info on splashbacks. I have read all the old posts on SS/glass/laminate splashbacks dated July 03 from Para, Mick, Soundman and others. For most 1st time renovators there are big holes to fall in at every turn and this invaluable verbal match of info has certainly helped me. I had spent weeks trying to research all and any info on splashbacks desperately trying to find an inexpensive, easy to clean, heat resistant, water repellant, non-scratchable, simple to install, will look fantastic splashback !. I have a family of brothers who are builders and cabinet makers who squabbled of the quality of HMR vs MDF vs Villabond vs Masonite etc etc as suitable SS backing board. I read all the posts, bought every kitchen and home renovators magazine (could have paid someone to come in and do it all with all the money I ended up spending on magazines !!) and eventually went to my dad for advice (a builder of some 40 odd years) who simply said "Just tile the darn thing and get over it, it's just a kitchen not a space shuttle" and with that little bolt of reality I found some great glass and ceramic tiles did a design to cater for both all for less than $250. My thanks to all who contributed on the spalshback posts. I will definitely visit again as my next project is the dreaded bathroom.

Sorry to pop into this one a few days late, another idea is to used patterned pressed metal ceiling panels for splash backs.

Either old or new versions will do, because it is patterned you can get away with wall that are uneven to a degree. clean the back of the panel and stick it up with any of the urethanes or Fullaprene 303.
    Looks different and certainly adds a feature to the kitchen.
    On the issue of cleaning S/S, there is a newish solvent in the commercial arena that is a real spray on wipe off, will see if I can re-find the name.

Wink

We put in a new kitchen this year. Pics are on this website way back in the threads somewhere. It cost a bomb..........more than our first house!, but oh my oh my, it was worth every cent! We have glass splashbacks and I wouldn't trade them for anything. They are worth twice their price! Ours were $1800. I use my kichen a lot and the whole family congregates there, plus some that aren't family. I can recommend "Brindabella" in Sydney as a kitchen company. They were not the cheapest or the most expensive but there are the best by far.

Default suchislife

Hello there
    hoping someone can help.Since this the the subject (splashbacks)
    that i need.im looking for the heat resistant board that has to go
    behind my splashback.Im finding it very hard.To find a place that has it.
    Well in the size that i need which is 1000 x 250.

could any body help please...