Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

The chopping block looking like an aircraft carrier for flies does wonders eh

HMMMm! I use a little vegy oil after use and give it a good scrub with soapy water before and during use and then oil it after use, ours is in use every day and have yet to have the oil go rancid, I'll have to watch that when we nick off on honkidays next time!
    Unlikely veg oil will go rancid when used like that. But put it on a board to make it look nice for sale and put the board into a plastic bag for presentation and sell it to a shop where it sits for a month before being sold........... Yuck. Now that's where the major problem comes in.

Wood is naturally anti-bacterial. Searches will bring up studies that show a wood board is far safer than synthetic.
    Although some advise otherwise, I use olive oil on mine, never a problem.
    For those I make to sell or present, I treat with mineral oil and advise recipient to use same.

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    Unlikely veg oil will go rancid when used like that. But put it on a board to make it look nice for sale and put the board into a plastic bag for presentation and sell it to a shop where it sits for a month before being sold........... Yuck. Now that's where the major problem comes in.
    Thats easily fixed by not putting it in a plastic bag

I have found grape seed oil works well for me, I use it to seal chopping boards and rolling pins. so far no problems
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev