Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

Talking

So the top is finished to put back on - one problem forgot to take WIP while assembling but here are some photos that i did get.

The boards 2 x 2050 and 2 x 2500 were cut from 2 sheets of 2400 x 1200 marine ply 18mm thick.

the diagonal gave me almost the 2500 full board with a bit glued on the bottom corner one end of each board.
    Attachment 131162 Attachment 131163

some of the inside and outside corners assembled

Attachment 131164 Attachment 131165 Attachment 131166 Attachment 131167

As with all jobs you need to buy tools to do it - in this case i thought i needed one of these

Attachment 131168Attachment 131169

Apologies to all - i saw this on Ebay and it must have slipped my mind to alert everyone to the upcoming sale sorry about that.
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    As with all jobs you need to buy tools to do it - in this case i thought i needed one of these
    You better change your user title from Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth. to Domino Owner and proud of it

Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I am not surprised you bought one. I am surprised it took so long

Calm is offline Stubby Owner and proud of it. Now coming back to Earth.:D

DJ & Greg - wait for it the toys tools are getting bigger and more exy too. more later in the week.

cheers
    regards

David

"Tell him he's dreamin."
    "How's the serenity" (from "The Castle")

Quote Originally Posted by Calm View Post
    Sorry photo's later

I am trying to repair a jayco camper trailer, the boards (inside the aluminium) on the wind up top have rotted on the corners so i thought remove the top buy new Marine ply glue in and its fixed.

First problem - the long side are 2.5 metres long so i need 2 peices 2500mm x 200mm x 15mm or 18mm for the 2 sides the ends are shorter so will come out of the same sheet or i can buy shorter sheets for that.

Help who sells marine ply longer than 2.4 metres - 10 phone calls in Ballarat revealed NO ONE.

TIA

Cheers
    Hi there and welcome to the world of repairing a Jayco Camper! I'm just in the process of doing just that on my Jayco "Jayhawk" which was the largest of the camper trailers with the tandem axle.

The roof boards had rotted all around due to it being outside uncovered for many years. The side boards are around 4300 long and were two shorter sheets joined in the centre by no less than 40 staples both sides. No glue was ever used. Whilst all was well when kept dry, the unsealed timber soaked up the water.

I have noticed your post above where you used 18 mm rather than the 1/2". The original sides are 1/2" ply. Thicker would require clearance for the posts as well the longitudinal roof frame at the top to get the outside of the roof to line up correctly with the bottom sides. The seal extrusion also is only 1/2" wide so it may now be outside the sides when closed.

I have scarfed the two shorter side boards 100mm and glued with slow epoxy. The sides and ends have been sealed completely prior to re assembly with an oil based sealer. Rather than staple it all back as original, stainless steel screws every 150mm hold the ply firmly in place. As I had the roof sheeting off, I also epoxied 100 x 100 triangle braces into each corner of the top.

Worthwhile renewing the rubber seal around the top. About $7 / metre from Jayco but well worth it.

Rather than use the narrow crown staples I used 12mm x 12 long ones as used by some picture framers. The ones in the top are normal steel ones as they should be away from the moisture and the ones near the seal are stainless steel. They shot through the two layers of aluminium ok at 100 psi.

Regards

DH