Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Next Project

Yes, I had a look at the forum....great stuff!

I have seen some 7" XGA screens (for DVD players in cars). These might be the basis for a compact projector. I noticed one called a "Liliput" but the forum for this is locked

I also noticed the Liliput screen for sale on Aust ebay for $299...its got me thinking...

I haven't found anything about how they perform in normal lighting situations yet.

Cheers

Well I have started on my projector. I stole a lot of the ideas off Mr Burn's projector who is from North Queensland.

Although I have started I am still waiting on my LCD a Benq FP567S V2 which I paid $442.00 + Freight through my grandson.

I am still waiting on my toughened glass.

It is amazing I ordered my lense kit from Lumenlab on the 9th September and it arrived on the 15th September a total of six days and I ordered my toughened glass here in Australia and they told me it will take at least two weeks.

I am building my projector box from 16mm MDF but no screws to join it up. I am using yellow PVA glue and biscuits to hold it together.

Attached are a few photos of the start of it.

This first picture is of the fans, ballast, capacitor and igniter and wiring. As well there will be a transformer here for the 12 volt fans.

The next picture is a close up of the electrics and the switches and the power inlet are to be in the bottom left hand corner.

The next one shows the the light shield at the back of the fans.

The following one shows the plate holding the FC2 bulb bases with the HQITS400W/D_OSR bulb. All the electrics came courtesy of Taipan another member of the Lumenlab Forum for $180.00 + freight AU this about $100 cheaper than any where else in Australia. The ballast. igniter and capacitor actually came in a metal case but I wanted all the electrics within the projector box. Also shown are the aluminim heat shielding. Another piece will be attached to the lid.

My reflector is the centre out of a stainless steel spoon rest that just sat in a wire frame a whole $4.85 from BigW/Woolworths here in Oz courtesey of information from Mr Burns another projector builder.

This next one shows the rear of the box and the fans. The clamps aren't part of the box, they are only there to hold the sides on as I have not yet glued them in place yet.The last one is the final pic for now. This shows the projector lense and the means of adjustment. I am going to work something out to do fine adjustment for the lense.

This is a picture of the football out of Mr Burns's projector to see what is possible.

Thanks for the update Barry, looking forward to the finished job.

Cheers........Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

This is another update on my projector that I am building. I am still waiting on the toughened glass which is now into 5 weeks. Their service really sucks.

These are a few pictures of the set up I designed for adjusting the front fresnel lense for what is called keystoning that is to makes sure the front fresnel lense is parrallel to the screen depending on the angle that you have the projector pointing at the screen.

Attached pics of the finished projector box ready for painting.

Making progress Baz, must be hanging out to get it up and running !!

Cheers....Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Yes Sean I am looking forwrd to it. Five weeks for a lousy piece of glass is crazy, I would hate to building a house using toughened glass splash backs for the kitchen and having to wait.

Bazz,

The wait is a fact of life at the moment, but things are settling down just a little thankfully.

I'd be interested in seeing how-much the set up ends up costing compared to a commercial version of the same quality?

I'm guessing that while it may have been a factor at the outset, saving a few dollars isn't the motivator here?

Cheers,

P

Barry

I'm interested to know what the finished dimensions of your box are and I'm particularly interested in the weight of the thing. I get the impression it's something you would set up once and then leave it alone, ie, not portable.

I can see myself building one, but I'm sitting on the fence for the moment, hoping you're happy with yours when it's up and running.

Cheers
    Geoff

Thumbs down

BM

the cost is going to be about $1000 to $1100 which is about $400 to $500 cheaper than the cheapest crappy commercial one that is available but the big bonus is the cost of the globes. Commercial ones start at about $400 up to $900 and only have a maximum life of 3000 hours. These DIY ones have a life of about 20,000 hours and only cost $90.

The other thing is the resolution is better than higher priced projectors up around the $5000 to $8000 and better than a plasma.

The satisfaction of building it is one the other major factors.

Geoff

The box is 800mm x 325mm x 300mm.

As I might have said earlier I am going to put it on a stand similar to the one that was posted on here as a scroll saw stand which will make it mobile. Some of the people building them have built them into coffee tables and some have hung them from the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White
    The satisfaction of building it is one the other major factors.
    Yep, that's what I figured, and the "because I can" factor is starting to get to me...... hose me down people...I can feel another thing starting!!

What I don't get is the price of the globe...why can't the standard one be replaced with the cheapie? (I guess they all have custom mounts and it would be more work than building your own unit from scratch?)

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers,

P

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    What I don't get is the price of the globe...why can't the standard one be replaced with the cheapie? (I guess they all have custom mounts and it would be more work than building your own unit from scratch?)

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Cheers,
    t thing
    P
    The important thing with globes are the colour output and the amount of lumens output as this is critical for the picture clarity.