Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Willson
    Now lookee here. I only wrote one, count it ONE email about spelling and that was to do with the total lack of knowledge re the various spellings of THARE.

IE They're, there, and their. Meaning (in order of writing) They are, over there and belonging to (somebody).

Learn English. It helps communication

Fini
    You are dead right again Bob, and if you look no further than a couple of posts below yours, you will see an example of the problem. Christ, it's not hard people.....or is it ?

Unhappy

No, Fini, Stop, no more.

I will get flamed again now.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Hi all
    I'm going to get shot for being honest but what the heck?
    I only pick on people who misspell words for two reasons.
    1. I think it is funny.
    2. They have said something that sh#$s (sorry, Irritates) me and I lack the confidence to argue with them on the particular point of irritation.
    3. I can't count but I'm a bloody good speller.
    cheers
    Jim (ex spelling Nazi)
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Quote Originally Posted by kenmil
    You are dead right again Bob, and if you look no further than a couple of posts below yours, you will see an example of the problem. Christ, it's not hard people.....or is it ?

Ken
    I agree with you.
    I've been told lots of unpleasant things for suggesting that it's ( it is ) not Swahili, it is our chosen, or native tongue. Sturdee is one of the best spellers on this post and English is his second language! So paying out on anyone who expects good spelling is an excuse for being too bloody lazy to learn your own language. Well done guys. Tell us to go and write on a spelling forum. Well ghoti to you. Thats fish for all you dumbarses.
    cheers Jim ex (maybe not)spelling Nazi.
    Cheers
    Jim

"I see dumb peope!"

Unhappy Sitting on the horns of dilemma.

I am in a quandary about these posts.

I do not want to discourage people, who don't have the same grasp of the language, from posting and contributing from this board. I would rather read and learn from a post with spelling mistakes and typo's then not to learn at all because the member is embarrassed by his spelling. As Brudda says it is a woodworking forum.

This said, I fully agree with the sentiment expressed by the honorable Spell checkers on this board. It is much easier to read a post with correct English rather then one written in pidging English. The use of basic rules of grammar and spelling is really not too hard. What worries me is that before too long Australian English will disappear and be replaced by pidging English.

Peter.

Sorry Peter, it's not Pidgin (or Pidging) these days, it's Neo-Melanesian.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I would suggest that the difference between those who complain about spelling and those who don't is the difference between those who do a lot of reading, and probably read quickly, and those who do little reading.
    People who read quickly, do not 'hear' the words in their head, they merely absorb the meaning. Good readers do not see the individual letters, they see the words. Bad spelling creates meaningless text.
    Slow readers will hear the words, some even move their lips, some even vocalise. The spelling for them does not matter as long as it makes the right sound.
    Cheers
    I should have mentioned - spell checkers only find typos, they will never note the use of an incorrect word. A good grammar checker might find incorrect word useage.
    Last edited by GeoffS; 12th May 2004 at 10:39 PM.
    GeoffS

I have often wondered about the relationship between the way in which a language changes and the degree of ability to read and write and therefore have a visual interpretation of the language.
    I know an engineer who says 'pacific' when he really means 'specific.' Now he is not what most people would call uneducated and he has a degree for proof of that.
    The question is , how many people listening to him would hear what he is saying and then maybe, (because he is an engineer and therefore educated and should therefore know these things,) emulate his usage believing that they are doing the right thing. They would then pass this onto their children ad infinitum until it becomes the new accepted norm. The ability to have and use a written language does, in my opinion, forestall this tendency.
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Interesting thought Bob. I once lived near a small country town where the almost universal pronounciation of 'ask' was 'arks' - certainly among those who grew up there. Where I lived - another small town about 20km away - it was 'ask'.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Interesting thought Bob. I once lived near a small country town where the almost universal pronounciation of 'ask' was 'arks' - certainly among those who grew up there. Where I lived - another small town about 20km away - it was 'ask'.
    But did they ask you to kiss their arks??

Al

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS
    Fascinating subject altogether. I grew up in England and had a distinctive regional accent when I was a kid. People who grew up only 15 or so miles away had an identifiably different accent. Some of the words used in different areas were (and are) also different. The old regional dialects are slowly dying away in European countries with the increasing growth of instantaneous global communication but the point Bob makes provides a clue about the way language develops and evolves when subject to different types of pressure. If you're a language purist you're doomed to a life of constant frustration because language never has and never will stand still. It changes and mutates to meet the demands of the people who use it.

(This is all getting a bit deep, isn't it?)

Col
    Last edited by Driver; 13th May 2004 at 06:46 PM.

Yes it is, but none of that excuses slack spelling. :mad:

"I would have thought with the new version with all the bells and whistles in it, it might have had a spell checker included."

Would be useful but might spoil the fun!

Bob H.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmil
    Yes it is, but none of that excuses slack spelling. :mad:
    Ken - I agree (and I've now corrected the typo in my post! )

Quote Originally Posted by SteveI
    It's called "Eats, Roots and Leaves"

(Take out the comma and you have a different meaning.... I think this comes from the old joke about a some blokes being like a wombat when it comes to women.)
    Eats screws and bolts :eek: