Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    i finely got this damm laptop going, i reinstalled internet explorer ie6 and my modem driver and so far so good, i have a stack of photos on here and that would likely affect performance so what is a cheap external storage device for my pics?...

just have to buy thicknesser first then in a few months i will look at upgrading to a more powerfull laptop with xp already on it , i like the toshiba...
    If you are mainly using it at home, consider having another computer on a network. Say a p1 200 with a decent size hard drive in it. Probably cost you around $100 for the drive and $20 for the computer (look around). You can then keep your pictures on the second computer and have 2 copies of other important files.

Alternatively there are usb external hard drives available fairly cheaply. A small network will give you more options though.

I am using a dual boot debian (linux)/ freebsd laptop to type this, but it only has a 40gb drive, so all my larger files and certainly the important ones are stored on a desktop which itself is backed up.

shaun

Quote Originally Posted by Barry_White
    I think going down the path of Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird is a better option. Since I changed I have had no spam, viuses or spyware since changing.
    I go with Barry I followed one of his earlier reomendation on this and have not had any spam virusews or spyware since

Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird for me

Sam [img]images/icons/icon7.gif[/img][img]images/icons/icon7.gif[/img]

i finely got this damm laptop going, i reinstalled internet explorer ie6 and my modem driver and so far so good, i have a stack of photos on here and that would likely affect performance so what is a cheap external storage device for my pics?...

just have to buy thicknesser first then in a few months i will look at upgrading to a more powerfull laptop with xp already on it , i like the toshiba...
    Get XP Pro with SP2 this is a very stable system, depends whether your lap top can take it. Ubuntu linux seems a good alternative as somebody else has mentioned (have'nt received my disk yet). Photos stored on CD Rom seems a good idea, do you have a CD burner?

Rob

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Simomatra
    I go with Barry I followed one of his earlier reomendation on this and have not had any spam virusews or spyware since
    Yes but wouldn't let you sent your e-mail address

La Huerta
    Have a toshiba laptop and very happy with it now that I removed MS and installed XP
    Try the external drive via a usb connection ,Have a couple of friends who use them , one has a dedicated drive for photos , just plugs it in when working on them and can use it with other computers.
    The other keeps 1 drive for Buissness & 1 for music.Just plugs in which ever he needs at the time.
    I know when I next need to up date will go down the external drive path

Rgds
    Russell

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

only problem is there's only one usb port on this laptop and it's used for broadband...i was thinking of a docking station type device so i can plug in , printer , external storage , broadband, wireless mouse, etc...
    Hurry, slowly

only problem is there's only one usb port on this laptop and it's used for broadband...i was thinking of a docking station type device so i can plug in , printer , external storage , broadband, wireless mouse, etc...
    Do you have a PCMCIA slot in your laptop. If so you could buy a Belkin USB PCMCIA card which comes with 2 USB slots and is Series 2.0. about $65.00.

I have one on mine and I have 2 by 4 port USB hubs connected to the computer and run a scanner, a CD Burner, Printer, USB Headset 2 way satelite connection for internet, Camera, Zip Drive, TV Tuner and a Mouse all USB connected to my laptop.

Stuff the laptop.....put the dough towards the thicknesser. You can have much more fun with a power tool than a computer.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

La Huerta,

This might sound like a dumb question but do you really NEED a laptop? If not then youre paying a premium for portability you dont need. Youre also limiting hardware upgrade potential.

Cheers Martin
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

ok ...i think i will end this now before everyone gets carried away...yes it has a PCMCIA slot so that would be a good idea...yes i need a laptop, i know desktops are better value but i hate being stuck in one spot when using a computer ,and i do a bit of digital photography and can take it where i go...

thanks for the help , i am a lot wiser now, and yes the thicknesser must come first...
    Hurry, slowly

So buy a USH HUB allows you to put 4 usb devices into the one usb port about $25 at any computer fair. Then you can connect printer , external storage mouse , card reader
    Or use a seconh hub pluged into the first one and you have room to plug in a scanner , camera, Gps ,
    as I do
    The whole idea of usb was to connect all your external units not just one unit

USB hub, i will get one on monday, on the way to bunnings to get a gmc thicknesser ...

by the way while on the subject , who has a digi camera and how many mp is good enough for quality website photos...
    Hurry, slowly

Quote Originally Posted by Ashore
    So buy a USH HUB allows you to put 4 usb devices into the one usb port about $25 at any computer fair. Then you can connect printer , external storage mouse , card reader
    Or use a seconh hub pluged into the first one and you have room to plug in a scanner , camera, Gps ,
    as I do
    The whole idea of usb was to connect all your external units not just one unit

Ashore

The only problem with la Huerta's computer is that he only has one USB port on the computer and he must connect his 2 way satelite to it to make it work because it will not work on a USB Hub connection. So his best option is the PCMCIA USB card and then he can connect his USB hubs to this.

He can daisy chain his hubs as you can connect up to I think about 120 USB devices to the computer but his satelite connection must be connected directly to the computer.
    by the way while on the subject , who has a digi camera and how many mp is good enough for quality website photos...
    I am running a Canon A400 3.2MP camera and it give very high quality pictures for posting on the net.

is this what i am supose to get http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....222537514&rd=1 only i will grab one localy ...
    Hurry, slowly

is this what i am supose to get http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....222537514&rd=1 only i will grab one localy ...
    Yes, that's the sort of thing. Mine is a 2 port USB made by Belkin at about $65.00. I bought it from Harvey Normans.

cheers guys...
    Hurry, slowly