Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Phase Power

To have three phae power you need 3 power meters, one across each phase, so if you only have two meters then you have single phase power.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhole View Post
    To have three phae power you need 3 power meters, one across each phase, so if you only have two meters then you have single phase power.
    Not always so. The number of meters doesn't always directly indicate the number of phases.

I have 3 meters and only 2 phases (well split phase, not truly 2 of 3 phases).
    1 each for the normal phases and one for off-peak. Note that one of the incoming phases splits and feeds one of the normal meters and also the off-peak meter.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

The standard set up for three phase in domestic situations NOW is one meter. Somehow the one meter measures usage of all three phases.

Quote Originally Posted by mat View Post
    The standard set up for three phase in domestic situations NOW is one meter. Somehow the one meter measures usage of all three phases.

That's what I have.

A single meter for three phase & a second meter for my single phase off peak.
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by KevM View Post
    That's what I have.

A single meter for three phase & a second meter for my single phase off peak.
    Me too.

JRTFM - I had another look and it is just single phase. The contactor and meter are both labeled as such. Excitement subsiding....
    Cheers,
    Shannon.

Funky - something else to throw into the mix. I recently obtained a Hammer N4400 and a Felder KF700. I went 3 phase for both. In my case I have 3 phase at the house (just had to get the shed wired up). At some point if I move to a location that only has single phase I have 2 options. Sell my 3 phase gear and buy the same machines single phase. OR Buy a phase converter to convert the single phase supply to 3 phase for those machines.

The Hammer and Felder stuff will retain their value well. That's not to say to sell the 3 phase and re-buy the same machines single phase wouldn't cost me, it would. but compared to doing it with other brands that don't retain their value so well, it wouldn't be as bad.

The phase converter would cost about $5K but if it meant being able to keep my lovely toys, and the new place was a long term investment, then I'd wear the $5K and just relocate my toys.

(and before someone jumpts in with this suggestion, yes, changing the motors and wiring WOULD be possible, but it's not an option I'd consider)

All depends on your budget. I wanted the higher tourque the 3 phase motors would give and the rest I'll figure out later should I need to.
    (and yes, I grin like an idiot every time I use these babies - they are SOOOOO cool!)