Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning toilet

If you've been rubbing somebody else's dunny with a scotch pad, remind me not to shake hands if we ever meet up. :eek:

Why clean it ? Go to Reese's. Buy a new one.

They aren't all that expensive.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

I've had success with tablets for cleaning dentures - dissolve as per instructions and pour in the pan and leave for a few hours.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

I've used with great success a granite cleaner from applied chemicals, the tin has lost it's label so I am afraid I cannot name the cleaner but it was white granules and disolved in water. Half a cup of granules into the bowl and leave it for an hour or so, a quick swish with the toilet brush and the lot sparkled as no doubt did the pipe for about 30' or so. Used it on several friends bowls as our water has a high iron content and most of the stain was probably rust as well as slack cleaning. As for scotch bright there is no way I would shove my hand down the S bend for some intimate scrubbing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksin
    I think this was discussed some time ago.

I have noticed the glazing is not as good in the bottom of the bowl as the rest of the pan, consequently IF you get the stains removed they will eventually return. Bite the bullet and replace the pan. Last time I looked Bunnies have white Caroma S trap pans for around $70
    If its a recurring problem due ti the water supply replacing the pan WONT solve the problem as the buildup will happen again.

I have thought about polishing the bowl with an auto polish with silicon or some non stick additive, but haven't tried it yet.

I just give a major clean when the buildup is thick enough to flake off. Interestingly the same mineralised water supply leaves a sandy colored buildup on stainless urinals and on ceramic floor tiles but leaves a definite poo brown in the white toilet bowls.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac
    Got the same problem, and even CLR didn't work, despite its advertising. Apparently this is some iron oxidation from bore water. New toilet is the next option.
    I have a few friends who have fixed the brown stain stuff simply and easily.

Good commercial pump guys can fix the iron oxide staining situation from borewater too. At least there's a bloke in Oxenford and another in Gympie that I know of that can.

Basically you need a "special" filter, and an oxidant injected in the water stream bofore it hits the filter. The gear is available quite cheaply, if you can find someone who knows what they are doing, and usually they inject about 2ppm liquid chlorine, which is a lower concentration than normal town water.

Once the stain is there though, only hydrochloric or citric acid works apparently.

Cheers,

P

I can now understand why Australians drink a lot of other liquids besides water,
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

oh yes john,
    most of our houses have a small press button well.
    we call it the wc
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Bob, you don't realise how true you speak.

Our American friends have a stainless steel notice printed (stamped) in many of the public conveniences requesting their patrons not to use the toilet bowls for washing their hair. (not the wash basins)
    Honest.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by jow104
    Bob, you don't realise how true you speak.

Our American friends have a stainless steel notice printed (stamped) in many of the public conveniences requesting their patrons not to use the toilet bowls for washing their hair. (not the wash basins)
    Honest.
    RATFLMAO
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Lets play "whats that smell"....
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

I suppose it means you dont need hairspray to hold it in place
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quick spritz of Eau de Toilet spray.........

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

After successfully getting rid of a lot of rust on a camping stove, I suggest giving citric acid a go.

I am amazed at how well it worked, returning back to the base metal quite well. ie shiny steel.
    Ray

Cleaning toilets. It's not a fun job, but someone's got to do it. The problem is that most everybody does it, it's just that a lot of them just do it wrong.I have a house hold tip for you, Borex powder found in the laundry section at the grocery story is an old fashioned workhorse. Sprinkle it in and work that powder with your plastic brush. Let it sit in the bowl for half an hour. Flush, and it will be snowy white again.