Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Zed,

Having lived for four years in the US, I believe its much-vaunted freedom has severe limitations: it means the freedom to be subjected to TV ads for 20 minutes out of every hour's viewing; the freedom to watch political talk shows where the panellists all yell at one another simultaneously throughout the program; the freedom to be regarded as some sort of evil freak, if you are not religious; the freedom to live in a society where it is very easy for any psychopath to buy and use a lethal weapon on you; and the freedom of being up for a hospital bill of $3000 for a week's stay without any surgery, even when you have medical insurance - $10,000 otherwise. The freedom to pay four times as much for your medical insurance as we do in Oz, with less cover. I could go on and on.

Rocker

That should stir our US members up :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Zed,

Having lived for four years in the US, I believe its much-vaunted freedom has severe limitations: it means the freedom to be subjected to TV ads for 20 minutes out of every hour's viewing; the freedom to watch political talk shows where the panellists all yell at one another simultaneously throughout the program; the freedom to be regarded as some sort of evil freak, if you are not religious; the freedom to live in a society where it is very easy for any psychopath to buy and use a lethal weapon on you; and the freedom of being up for a hospital bill of $3000 for a week's stay without any surgery, even when you have medical insurance - $10,000 otherwise. The freedom to pay four times as much for your medical insurance as we do in Oz, with less cover. I could go on and on.

Rocker
    And I got accused of Seppo bashing.

Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zed
    wrt to the usa I specifically point to the basic premise where they recognise that all men are created equal and free - I love that!
    All men are created equal AND have the right to bear arms (just in case you feel a bit more equal than all of the others).
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

wrt to the usa I specifically point to the basic premise where they recognise that all men are created equal and free - I love that!
    Now Zed, I just love the way a thread that starts of bagging a couple of people who by accident of birth can never get paid to feature in Women's Day, and ends up in a Seppo hug-in!

To take issue with your statement though:

I love their concept of equal and free. (As long as they are more equal than everyone else, and can still use more of the world's resources per capita etc etc which is after all what freedom is about, of course we can trust ONLY them with Nuclear bang bangs, and WMD's!)

George, apparently is the leader of the free world. Assuming I am part of the free world, I don't remember having a say in that, and that either means that I am a captive, or the free world ain't that big.

Give me a monarchy which is merely just a colourful part of our history any day.

P (Who doesn't give two hoots about republicanism or the monarchy; we'll still have politicians running the place.)

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    Now Zed, I just love the way a thread that starts of bagging a couple of people who by accident of birth can never get paid to feature in Women's Day, and ends up in a Seppo hug-in!

To take issue with your statement though:

I love their concept of equal and free. (As long as they are more equal than everyone else, and can still use more of the world's resources per capita etc etc which is after all what freedom is about, of course we can trust ONLY them with Nuclear bang bangs, and WMD's!)

George, apparently is the leader of the free world. Assuming I am part of the free world, I don't remember having a say in that, and that either means that I am a captive, or the free world ain't that big.

Give me a monarchy which is merely just a colourful part of our history any day.

P (Who doesn't give two hoots about republicanism or the monarchy; we'll still have politicians running the place.)

now your just being nasty!
    Zed

Quote Originally Posted by simon c
    All men are created equal AND have the right to bear arms (just in case you feel a bit more equal than all of the others).
    OK so some of us were created MORE equal than others, and as for the arms thing, I am quite happy with the arms I already have thankyou very much!

As for Carmilla, I read somewhere that females in her family (from centuries past) were consorts to the royal family. So it looks like she is just extending the family business
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Brudda
    As for Carmilla, I read somewhere that females in her family (from centuries past) were consorts to the royal family. So it looks like she is just extending the family business
    A consort isn't as questionable a title as you think.
    consort
    n.
    1. A husband or wife, especially the spouse of a monarch

However, your are right, she is descended from some famous mistresses/lovers of the royal family.
    They laughed when I said I was going to be a comedian. They're not laughing now.
    Bob Monkhouse

A consort isn't as questionable a title as you think.
    consort
    n.
    1. A husband or wife, especially the spouse of a monarch

However, your are right, she is descended from some famous mistresses/lovers of the royal family.
    so the inbreds are all intermingled with intercourse....
    Zed

so the inbreds are all intermingled with intercourse....
    As are most of us - if you trace your own family tree back a couple of centuries you will be surprised how often the same names keep coming up
    Bob Monkhouse

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Another thing about the family tree I found was that we (Caucasians) are closer related to Negroes than certain Europeans.
    Adolf would have loved that another blow to racism
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

As are most of us - if you trace your own family tree back a couple of centuries you will be surprised how often the same names keep coming up
    im not inbred! im robust! so are my cousins...
    Zed

Charles and Camilla are just two people who have feelings for each other. What they look like doesnt matter. If they have children doesnt matter although they wont. She will not be queen and its unlikely he will be king as protocol, which is something the royal family are guided by, will probably not permit. Protocol should not be disregarded as its one of the basic fabrics of our society and helps us to determine right from wrong amongst other things. All countries and governments have it and are guided by it in some shape or form and without it we'd be in a bit of a mess.
    As to the commonwealth, it is recognised by most including the royal family that things are changing and while some member countries do not want a king or queen as head of state, others still do but it is up to the member concerned to decide for itself, not the queen. You want a republic, vote for it, its your choice, but dont knock the system in place or slag off its representatives, its not being forced upon you. Arguements for and against change however should surely be made in a rational and sensible manner and insults and name calling do not in my opinion constitute reasoned arguement.Change is always gradual and always necessary but it must have reason and purpose.
    Incidentaly, I should point out that both Charles and the queen are much loved by most of the people in the Uk and are a genuine inspiration to many and Charles in particular who is a very caring and sensitive individual.
    Im not knocking anyone here by the way, simply expressing my personal point of view as others have done so please guys do not take this personally.
    beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    Im not knocking anyone here by the way,
    That's a bit gutless beejay!! It's Friday night and we need some ACTIONNNN!!!

Put on your flamesuit and go for it!!!

Cheers,
    P

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by beejay1
    You want a republic, vote for it, its your choice, but dont knock the system in place or slag off its representatives, its not being forced upon you.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9
    Yes it is.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.