Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

HI Eli and Rob - centor do make curved track so that a line of doors will slide around and sit against a side wall - i have used it and it is brilliant! But yikes the cost ! Something like $500 and a min 1200 radius which means you need about 600 mm of wall next to the opening to cover the curve.

I think B &d can offer the groovy new styles and a new mechanism gives wider and higher doors. I dont know anything about where to get windows or doors down there - sorry.

Centor have a web site www.centor.com.au

If you want to get new bifold or stacking doors and windows they are likely to be at least $1000 a lineal metre installed. But they are nice - bit posh for a garage though lol! Centor actually make all the fittings for them.

Cheers

Thanks Eli:

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    I'd get some salvage windows as stated for the top of the side brick walls. Maybe not used, but overstock, or a custom size return check your local door and window specialty place, they always have something somebody special ordered they want to move. Sound is important here if I'm not mistaken.
    Good idea on the overstock. I can certainly muck around with the sizing (if I'm installing) and just fit larger surrounds (don't know the technical terms ). Sound is top of the list otherwise I won't be allowed to use the workshop . Actually, while perception is probably more important than fact in terms of sound, I'm off to buy a cheapy sound meter today to assist with both ($49 @ DSE).

I vote roll-up door for the front, but not the metal kind. Don't you guys have tracked, connected panel doors? These can have windows in one or more panel sections, and a really good installer can cut and open the tracks so they run high in the ceiling. Otherwise you're adding that big tube of tin can at the top of your front door.
    I've been thinking that doors that can handle getting sound insulation attached is needed - hence not a straight rollup. The tracked/multi-panel sound good (sic). From what you say, they are installer jobs rather than (bad) home handyman style .

The back wall conventionally framed and insulated, with fire rated door. Great for sound.
    Put the window at bench height (Groggy) or the sliding window assembly like DD said.
    Back wall is already enclosed brick with a storeroom - no probs there. Windows will be too high for benchwork, so I'm sliding towards sliding.

I'd drop the ceiling a bit and insulate. This will go a long way towards controlling sound as well. If it were me with your concerns, I'd frame conventionally inside the brick as well, but this is obviously more cost.
    Fortunately it's a high gable roof with plasterboard ceiling: I can just get up there and install normal house insulation. However, will house insulation provide any sound insulation... hmm.

Framing the inside brick is a good idea - this shows around a 20db loss for 2-layer 10mm plasterboard.

So I'd get the doors and windows, the roll-up door (if you can afford only this, then this is the first step), then price out the framing and insulation. At least a thousand bucks?
    Thanks Eli. It's a lot better than $12-15K for a new slab + shed + electricals +++ down the back of the yard. BUT only if the sound problem can be fixed....

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Doogie View Post
    HI Eli and Rob - centor do make curved track so that a line of doors will slide around and sit against a side wall - i have used it and it is brilliant! But yikes the cost ! Something like $500 and a min 1200 radius which means you need about 600 mm of wall next to the opening to cover the curve.

I think B &d can offer the groovy new styles and a new mechanism gives wider and higher doors. I dont know anything about where to get windows or doors down there - sorry.

Centor have a web site www.centor.com.au

If you want to get new bifold or stacking doors and windows they are likely to be at least $1000 a lineal metre installed. But they are nice - bit posh for a garage though lol! Centor actually make all the fittings for them.
    Cripes .

Hmm, if the garage was to become a (posh) rumpus, I'd be tempted by nice bifolds, but I can't see that happening. Thanks for the headsup but I think it's out of my, and the houses, league.

Rob