Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beam Size

As mentioned in a previous post it is more than likely that a girder truss could be designed to span the distance to support the existing and the new roof loads. You will probably need crosswalls at max 9m centres for wall bracing. Do a sketch plan and talk to a truss mob. I see jobs like that every day. You just need to use joist hangers or triple grips to attach the existing cieling joists and rafters to the new girder truss.

Yea a truss manufacturer could advise you you if they can design a girder truss to take the load, all you would need is double stud at each end of the girder truss but depends on the cost of design over using a beam.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by marz1 View Post
    steel beam worked out to be 200ub 25.4

Its not really holding much roof load, i calculated a roof load width of 1.5metres. your new extension i assume will be trussed with the trusses spanning the shortest length which wont trnsfer much load at all to that beam, its only there really to support your existing roof i assumed the worst case it would be conventional framing.
    Cheers Marz
    Conventional framing on the existing house would be a best case scenario. If it were a trussed roof spanning onto the wall he plans to remove, then the roof load would be half of the entire width of the house. That could easily be six metres, but you can't tell by looking at that photo.

Hyspans are much cheaper than Hybeams last time I checked.

Sorry for the delayed reply - just wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input and help - greatly appreciated. I will let you know how I go with things in due course.

Frog_hopper