Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I use a 3M 7502 face mask with 2128 filters.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Been using the 3M Respirators for many years and find them comfortable. The filters keep a low profile to fit under helmets and face sheilds unlike the single filter units. the one on the left is an older style with the newer ones exhausting down to minimize fogging of glasses/helmets.

They are a silicone type mask which comes in 3 sizes s, m & l try them for fit as this makes a big difference to comfort and sealing. Many types of filters are available, the ones in the picture are charcoal activated for welding, canisters smaller than the sundstrom ones are available for painting as well as supplied air fittings, the dust filters look the same as the ones in the photo.

These filters are available from hardware, safety and welding suppliers and are "3M 7500 Half Facepiece Respirator".

Attachment 44868

Cliff,

Anything to get in first.

Did you delete my post 10m ago, so I had to type it again and attach photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Stringy View Post
    Cliff,

Anything to get in first.......
    Sorry..... not....

Good aren't they.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

with both ear muffs and respirators you get what you pay for.

without question peltor are the go for muffs

I have a sundstrom mask I use for spraying & it fine for that... but I wouldn't want to wear it for only dust...... I have worn it all day a couple of times & its not too uncomfortable... aparantly the silicon ones are better.
    I cant comment on the 3M item.

with all of them getting them adjusted right is a fiddle but important.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

There not really such a thing as a comfortable respirator. I've been wearing one for about 24 years. Used to wear it 8 hours a day with some jobs for days on end. In the beginning it was real uncomfortable and would give me a rash on the face. After about a month the rash left and has never returned, even if I go long spells without wearing it. It's something you have to set in your mind you'll get used to. After a while you learn to tune out the feeling of having it on. Even in the heat of Australia I don't find it a problem. It was actually worse in the cold winters of Canada. Condensation would form real quick and I was always draing it. It's kind of comforting in a weird sort of way having it on when the dust is real thick - makes me feel almost invincible. I could have an inch of dust on my head and I know not one particle is entering my lungs.

I've been loyal to the North black silicone masks for about 22 years - I think I have about four if I put all the pieces I've collected over the years together. For me the large size fits the best and the straps are pretty good. I have one that I had to make new straps for and find it even more comfortable because I used a wide elastic instead of the plastic head pieces they sell as a replacement.

There is no mask that fits well with glasses.

Doug the slugs Avitar I reckon

could wear it allll day

Wouldn't they be great on a cold day

they'd be great any day...!!!
    Hurry, slowly

As ear muffs I mean hope, you didnt take any sexual conatations from my remark

Quote Originally Posted by coastie View Post
    As ear muffs I mean hope, you didnt take any sexual conatations from my remark

yep, i did...!
    Hurry, slowly

Moving right along ..

Beards are another story.

Pressure-fit masks won't cut it although you could try plastering the hairy mug with vaseline (no, let's not go there). Seems to me the only option is the Triton or Trend when dust rather than fumes are the problem.

So you save all that dough not shaving; now you get to spend it all on safety gear
    Cheers, Ern

Cannot comment on the Triton, but have been using the Trend AirShield over two years now, and like it a lot. It is only good for dust, and it works great for that (including tool grinding dust).

-- Wood Listener--

I recall a webpost some years ago from a guy who made his own 'Triton'. Involved the same kind of helmet setup but he rigged up a hose from outside for clean air and pumped it into the helmet with a hair dryer adapted for the purpose, if memory serves. Hose was routed overhead.
    Cheers, Ern

I did that in my shed in Cairns.
    I used a ducted exhaust fan kit, a face shield & an old (clean) T shirt.
    Cliff.