Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It was actually introduced during World War I to reduce energy consumption (and help the war effort) because it meant people would get home from work earlier, have an hour of extra daylight, and therefore use less energy lighting (and probably heating) their houses. It was subsequently dropped and picked up again a number of times.

Zed is bang on the dollar in that, the closer you get to the equator, the less benefit it has. North Queenslanders probably don't see the need to have it and view it as an inconvenience to them. We in the south love it (most of us). Personally, I think it's just another reason to abolish state borders because it's ridiculous having different time zones along the east coast - Tweed Heads/Coolongatta being a case in point.

I'd have it year round if I could. Can't see much point in the sun being up at 6.00 am and then down before you get home from work.
    Is there anything easier done than said?
    - Stacky. The bottom pub, Cobram.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC
    I'm with Bob. The sun is rising at about 5:30 these days. That's about 2 hours' wasted daylight as far as I'm concerned. Bring on daylight savings!!!
    Get up earlier

We don't need longer days in the sun. The UV is bad enough at 9am here without daylight savings in summer!

With kids, how do you cope with bedtime at 9pm??? Or do the kids just have to deal with going to bed while the sun is still up?

Seems cruel to me.... And the farmers don't want more daylight! Its the city folk that think....oh yeah I would like to go for a swim after work, will get more done with the hot sun beating down upon us... yeah no wonder we have high stats with skin cancer.

Just silly!!!!

I think we need a poll. That would sort the wheat from the chaff. Or should that be the hayseeds from the slickers?

Cool

Get up earlier

We don't need longer days in the sun. The UV is bad enough at 9am here without daylight savings in summer!

With kids, how do you cope with bedtime at 9pm??? Or do the kids just have to deal with going to bed while the sun is still up?

Seems cruel to me.... And the farmers don't want more daylight! Its the city folk that think....oh yeah I would like to go for a swim after work, will get more done with the hot sun beating down upon us... yeah no wonder we have high stats with skin cancer.

Just silly!!!!

No just shut up .

In the west a lot of businesses get screwed by DS over east. You go from 6 hrs where other offices are open to five hours. Take out lunch and your productivity takes a dive. Companies expanding from WA even factor this analysis into their plans of which states to target.

Many WA business don't get stressed over having their life dictated to by a time piece and just go to work earlier so they can get more communication time with Eastern States businesses.

A lot of trades people I know start at 7am all year round so they can pick the kids up from school in the arvo or just get home to the family early.

Personally I don't see the need to buggerise round with clocks. If business people want it why not just change the business hours, same thing really...whatever rings ya bell.

I'd like to see school hours changed to 6am to 6pm this would permit extended shed time.... . I also think that woodworking machinery should be allowed to operate until at least midnight.

Cheers (I don't wear a watch)
    Squizzy

"It is better to be ignorant and ask a stupid question than to be plain Stupid and not ask at all" {screamed by maths teacher in Year 8}

apparemtly the extra sunlight in FNQ fades the curtains quicker too!
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Quote Originally Posted by gemi_babe
    Get up earlier
    Im with GB. I was raised in NSW for 25 years, lived in FNQ for 12 years and moved back to NSW 3 years ago. And Daylight saving is a crock. I always get up early and these mornings with the sun up, birds crapping on, warmth on my back when I take the dog for a walk are sublime.

So what if you only get daylight until 8 pm instead of 9 pm - I mean how many families are still outside doing stuff after 8pm anyway? What with repeats of the Simpsons on and all - give me a break

Cheers
    There was a young boy called Wyatt
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away
    Because he overused White

Floorsanding in Canberra and Albury.....

A lot of people ask why we have to change the clocks? Why not just get up earlier, change business hours so that you start earlier etc.? Well here's one reason.

Say you changed business hours from 9 to 5 and made them 8 to 4. You would have to change your signwriting. In some cases reprogramme your security, computer and phone systems. You would have to change your public transport system timetables to cope with the earlier peak hour. The traffic light systems would have to be reprogrammed to suit.

Childcare centres, creches, schools and Kindergartens would have to open earlier too. School zone signs would have to be changed. So would Clearway, Transit Lane and Parking restriction signs. The six o'clock news would have to be moved to 5 o'clock. The evening movie sessions would have to start at 7:30. You would have to explain to teenagers that they have to go to bed an hour earlier so they can get up earlier. You'd have to change your alarm clock setting.

I reckon it's much easier to just change your clock and cheaper to buy new curtains.

Bunch o lazy bastards, get out o freaking bed fer crisakes.

I hate daylight saving, chooks don't give arf as much milk, cows fade and the washing won't lay no egss.
    Boring signature time again!

if you have lined curtains

a) the curtains don't fade
    b) they help convince the kids that its dark outside when it isn't

In uk it can be light til about 10pm in summer ... your kids whinge about going to bed ... you send them to bed with a book .... if they're getting up early they soon fall asleep regardless of whether its light outside.
    no-one said on their death bed I wish I spent more time in the office!

A lot of people ask why we have to change the clocks? Why not just get up earlier, change business hours so that you start earlier etc.? Well here's one reason.

Say you changed business hours from 9 to 5 and made them 8 to 4. You would have to change your signwriting. In some cases reprogramme your security, computer and phone systems. You would have to change your public transport system timetables to cope with the earlier peak hour. The traffic light systems would have to be reprogrammed to suit.
    Nothing to do with with business hours, all about leisure time, which means get out of bed earlier - and do all those myriad of things that people can't seem to do until after 6pm and only during the 5 months of Daylight Saving. People act as if Daylight Saving is some official licence to do stuff after 6pm. It's a load of codswallop.
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away

Disagree. Getting out of bed early to do things before work is OK if you start work at 9:00. If I had to get up an hour early to do things before I went to work, I'd be up at 5:30. By lunch time I would be asleep at my desk. I'd probably cut my hand off on my tablesaw in the afternoon.

I'd also have to get my two kids and my wife out of bed at 5:30 so that we could "do all those myriad of things that people can't seem to do until after 6pm and only during the 5 months of Daylight Saving". You have obviously not met my wife.

WITH Daylight Saving, I knock off, go home, we go for a walk on the beach, go for a swim, visit friends blah blah blah. The mossies don't come out until after 8pm, because they don't have DST. Last night we went to a friend's house, had a swim and a couple of beers. By 7 we had to leave because we were getting eaten alive by mossies.

It's everything to do with business hours. Business hours govern when people get to go home from work. If there was no such thing as business hours, you could start work and go home when you wanted. It's all about convention. Why am I having this argument :confused:

...............I'd also have to get my two kids and my wife out of bed at 5:30 so that we could "do all those myriad of things .......................

...................Why am I having this argument :confused:...............
    Yeh two good points
    Who was awfully quiet
    And then one day
    He faded away

It's all about convention. Why am I having this argument :confused:

Darren, you KNOW the answer to that particular question...... if someone sez something you just GOTTA put in your 2 bobs worth - the price you pay for squirrelling youself down the south coast where the only humans you see at work are the ones that drive past your office window!!!!

Mind you im bluudy jealous - I'd love to live down there with ya! some of the best diving is down there - I remember diving of montague island and having seals press thier yaps into my face mask - in the distance I could hear whales - bliss...

(Note for Oz winner - do not interpret the above statement as zed loves soilentc )
    Zed