Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well if your place is old, the lights may/will possibly be looped at the light, thats where the twin may come into it, either the red or the black in the twin will be a feed or switch wire. the one used for a feed will be terminated in a looping termial on the old light fixture, in a BP Connector or soldered and taped along with the main feed from the board. But like everyone else has said, call a Sparky. Dont be a bloody cheapskate. For one, doing your own electrical work will void your insurance, and is illegal. and two life is not something to be toyed with. dodgy wiring can lead to fault/ or fire. dont be stupid. And if u dont take our advice, please make sure the circuit is open, switch the circuit beaker off or pull the fuse before you play with any cables.

Good point Redgy,

That is why I stopped giving advice to hologram, I wasn't sure it was being understood correctly.

Its just a pity that there isn't a culture of open and frank discussion when it comes to the electrical industry - I really think it would be more beneficial to have a list of things you could DIY with instructions, rather than every corner hardware store saying in small writing - "must be installed by a licenced electrical contractor" - knowing full well that it never happens

Cheers
    Pulse

I tend to agree with Pulse on this one. If someone is going to work it out no matter what, surely it would be better to enlighten them on the correct way to do something. Is that, after all, one of the main purposes behind forums like this?

The reason there is no information available to us Aussies is because it's a highly regulated industry. Perhaps the rationale might be 'don't give them any information and they'll leave it alone'. Wrong. Don't give people information and they'll more than likely do it wrong.

But, if it's information you seek, check out NZ web sites. There's a lot of info there and they have, I'm lead to believe, most of the same standards we do. Or check out TAFE bookshops, apprentice sparkys have to get their reading material from somewhere.

Having said that, Redgy makes an excellent point about talking to someone in person to get a better feel for exactly how competent they may be.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Cheers,
    Anthony.

Quote Originally Posted by atregent
    . Is that, after all, one of the main purposes behind forums like this?
    The purpose of these forums is to lend a helping hand to those that need it, not to give half asred advise to someone who may by your advise kill themselves.

I wouldnt like to give the advise that was asked for, only to find out that he got electrocuted by doing what I advised.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by hologram
    i shouldn't have come here asking for help, purely because, after having studied the 8 wires more closely, theres' no way anyone could have understood what it was, i was trying to explain, so you were all right, in trying to deflect me from attempting it.
    That's right you shouldn't.

Notwithstanding that, as Pulse said, it may be better if we are allowed to do our own wiring etc, the fact remains it is illegal.

You were asking our assistance to help you break the law and if we assisted we would be party to your illegal acts. Aiding and abetting illegal activities is not something anyone, especially a newcomer with their first post, should ask us to do. :mad:

Especially someone who can't even properly describe the problem. :mad:

Peter.

Default I have the same problem what was your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by hologram View Post
    hi all this is my first post.

today i installed 9 down lights, all fairly straight forward 3 x wiring connections, but when i got to the last light, i found the wiring was very different from all the other lights i had done, this is what i found;

wire one, had three inner wires, 1 x red, 1 x black, 1 x green/yellow
    wire two, had three inner wires, 1 x red, 1 x black, 1 x green/yellow
    wire three, had two wires, 1 x red, 1 x black

the above wires were connected to four point on the light housing as follows,

point one, all three red wires connected together
    point two, both green/yellow wires connected together
    point three, two of the black wires connected together (these are the two black wires from wire one, and from wire two mentioned above, the three wire wires)
    point four, one black wire connected on its own point (this is the black wire from wire three, mentioned above, the two wire, wire)

my new light's has three connection points, and are as follows;

L
    (A SYMBOL) i guess this where the green/ yellow wires will connect
    N

does anyone know how i can wire in my new light's three connection points, to my old original light's, eight wires ?

any help will be very nice, and enlightening so to speak, it's a little dark in this room now. thank you
    I have the same problem what was your solution? Been trying to work it out and driving me crazy. Otherwise does anyone know a good electrician (doesn't charge an arm and a leg) who can quickly fix this.

There's a lot of half cocked electrical work that goes on simply because the person doesn't understand the dangers.

But an abstinance campaign that leads to continued ignorance isn't good.

Assuming Australia's electrocution rate is high (and from reading the safety reports it seems to be caused by either other trades drilling/cutting into live cables or ...strangely enough...qualified electricians working on live switchboards), it seems unusual to think that it is the general public at fault.

A quick trip to your local TAFE bookshop will unearth the books that apprentices use - and should be in the library of any home owner attempting anything more complex than unplugging an appliance from a GPO.

(now can someone tell me the correct way to use a megger???)

Quote Originally Posted by Search View Post
    I have the same problem what was your solution? Been trying to work it out and driving me crazy. .
    You read this thread and then asked that question? At least send hologram a PM. Strewth!
    Cheers,

Bob

Why are the alarm bells ringing on the idiot monitor again?

I have to say something here.

The Story-
    I encountered this situation several years ago when a "mate" attempted to wire up his own fan/light he got form Kmart. After about 6 attempts of wiring it up each time resulting in the fuse blowing or the lights not working he rang the Sparky (Me).
    After pulling the fuses to the light circuts, I climb up the ladder and I touched the cowling on the fan and recieved an electric shock.

He terminated the looped active into the earth terminal of the fan causing the fan to be "alive". He had also managed to cross the power and light circuts when he wired up an outside light which is why the light circut was still live (backfeed) after the fuses were pulled.

Not only did he endanger himself but every one else who walks in the house. All for the sake of saving a $100.

Quote"Assuming Australia's electrocution rate is high (and from reading the safety reports it seems to be caused by either other trades drilling/cutting into live cables or ...strangely enough...qualified electricians working on live switchboards), it seems unusual to think that it is the general public at fault."

Bear in mine the general public (DIY Cowboys) don't reliably report electric shock incidents, whitch is why there is no data to reflect the reality.

Electrocutions do get 100% reported as there is usualy a bit of explaining to do when there is a dead body involved.

I am not trying to feather me own nest here and keep sparkie work exclusive to sparkies.
    I believe there is a need for a more education about electricity.
    However the old saying "a bit of knowledge can be dangerous".

There is a good reason why it is a licenced and regulated trade.
    IT CAN KILL YA!!!!!!!

My two bobs worth
    Ben

I'm happy to see electrical work done only by suitably licenced people.

It the getting that licence that is my gripe. The only way to obtain the qualifications is via an apprenticeship - which, unless you do when you are in your teens (and don't have a mortgage, kids and so on to support) you are pretty much out of luck.

I would like to see skills based assessment - if you can show that you can do connect/disconnect residential work, fine, here's your ticket. If you know one phase from the others, and know how and where to run cable, here's a ticket that lets you do new installs.

As more of the current generation of tradies retire, the skills shortage may just force something like that to happen. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by hologram View Post
    don't worry i'm not going to electrocute myself, i got a good trip system.
    Im a lic'd spark & in my 25 years i have had my share of belts & hook-ups. The only one that came a hairs width from killing me was on a cct with an RCD that decided to pack it in. I stood there & felt ever cycle of jibbers for a few seconds until i managed to free myself. I have seen hook-ups break vertebra in a fellas spine through muscle contraction.

You are walking into in a world that is not for you mate..believe me.

Its interesting that in Nu Zulund, which has the same standards as us that you can DIY most home based electrical work - you can;t make board level changes.

You can do a weekend course on home electrical repairs.

Their rate of electric shocks is lower than ours per capita, assuming that the DIY isn't reporting his near misses there either.

The basis of adult education in the modern aged is that it is better to educate than legislate.

Whilst I'm qualified too conduct electrical work - I'm not qualified to replace the brakes in my car - yet I'm permitted by law to do that. Go figure....

Anyone want to buy my car? Its well maintained - honest

Finally! I have actually managed to come across an aussie D.I.Y. site of this nature, when compared to the number of overseas hits I get on a search engine such as google. It probably has alot to do with licencing regulations overseas, or lack of them, when compared to over here in Australia.

I 'm not wanting to be a killjoy here, but some of the posts that I have read on this topic alone have definitely convinced me that the electrical trade should be heavily regualted and licenced, indefinitely! Everyone is probably aware that electricity is something that not one of our five senses can detect, that is until you are hooked up.

Nonetheless, open discussion about this topic is not necessarily a bad thing, on the proviso people don't try this at home .

Just some food for thought.