Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: South Australia

Iain, just had a thought, McLaren Vale is nearby some excellent flyfishing. Don't know if that's still your line . The rivers are open but you'd be chasing spawners. However there are some VERY impressive fish in the local dams. I can give you the names of some club members who cwould arrange access. then again, you probably know Brownie!

Cheers,
    silkwood

Quote Originally Posted by silkwood
    And how can you take wine advice from someone called Brett?
    me? I wasnt giving any wine advice .. i know even less about that than i do about woodwork
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

The only character building hill I have travelled was Brown Mountain with an 18' caravan, no problem for me with the Diesel Landcruiser in 2nd but saw a few dickheads with smoking wheels at the bottom.
    Never have really associated SA with Fly Fishing, don't know Brownie, who is he, I know a few from Vic and NSW from my competition days.
    I still fly fish but not as much as I used to (every night after work).
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Brett, my apologies, it was a lame attempt at a joke . "Brett" in wine is short for Brettanomyces, a fungus evident in some wines and producing characteristics which are usually seen as a fault.

Iain, Ray Brown is a local flyfisher who is nationally known for his tying (in particular the "Kosciousko Dun"). I didn't know you competed. You'll possibly know John Rumph? He's living over here now (or at least was, last time I saw him late last year).

Cheers,
    silkwood

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

You'll possibly know John Rumph?
    Yes, although I haven't seen him for a long time, also Mick Hall (pompous little ######), John Waters, Ted Whitham and a few others.
    Spent a lot of time up at Eucumbene and surrounds with quite a few of them although I haven't competed since about 93, lost interest in all the self basting cretins with the holier than thou attitude.
    I used to import fly gear from the USA and upset a few people along the way who thought it was their exclusive domain, I would undercut on a lot of gear that the local importers refused to supply by bringing it in direct from the USA and selling direct, so much for refusing to supply me, they thought I would just go away
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

But isn't the holier than thou attitude rife in any competition or even amongs people who jog, ride road bikes, tennins whatever. Must have the gear to give the impression they just got back from the olympics or some other world event. Why even in my sport of pocket billiards we have these richard craniums.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Brett, my apologies, it was a lame attempt at a joke . "Brett" in wine is short for Brettanomyces, a fungus evident in some wines and producing characteristics which are usually seen as a fault.
    aah okay then .. im a wine fungus :eek:
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

I can recommend a little-known restaurant on the esplanade at brighton beach. Not sure what it's called, but it's on the South side of the roundabout, on the corner of the esplanade and Jetty Road, Brighton. I take the kids there for an actual *real* hamburger with the lot, and SWMBO and I went there for lunch last week, and it was one of the nicest meals I've had (chicken caesar, with a creme-brule type thing to follow). You can take a very pleasant constitutional along the beach afterwards.

Would agree that McLaren vale is at least as good as the Barossa for wine touring/tasting.

I'm sure the family would appreciate a visit to MIK at Norwood
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Iain after the sojourn of imbibing and tantalising tastbuds forget the wineries,head off to MIK INTERNATIONAL and really drool.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwood
    I can recommend a little-known restaurant on the esplanade at brighton beach. Not sure what it's called, but it's on the South side of the roundabout, on the corner of the esplanade and Jetty Road, Brighton.
    I checked it today, and join the recommendation. It's called Jetty Cafe. A very nice place, reasonable prices and good food.

Good, isn't it Javal? What did you have? Just don't tell anyone else about it. Don't want it getting too crowded or yuppish or anything.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

It is good. I had a burger and the cheese cake - both are the best I had since coming to Australia. The missus had the chicken salad and some other cake.