Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beyond tomorrow

Rocky,

If you are having one for emergencies and you don’t know how to use it then how bloody good is it?

Sadly a lot of people get one because of the “what if my car broke down in the middle of nowhere” thing.

My MIL got one for the same reason 4 years ago. She used it a few things in the first few weeks and it has been sitting on the kitchen bench since.

Unless it cooks me bacon and eggs, I ain’t getting one.

Scott,

Actually my wife normally carries it in her bag, and she knows how to use it. I am prepared to take my chances without it. I doubt if I am likely to come to much harm on the highway between Elimbah and Caboolture, where the traffic is pretty light.

When I worked as a geologist in Tanzania, I had no means of communication when I was hundreds of miles out in the bush - I just used to drive to town once a month to collect my mail. I suppose that I was fortunate that I was never faced with a life-threatening emergency. But I liked the sense of freedom that it gave, not having a boss breathing down your neck. Modern-day geologists don't need to be self-reliant, since they have satellite phones and GPS devices, so they can always call for help, and they can't get lost.

Rocker

Great in emergencies, you break down and ring the RACV, you get a recorded message and put on hold, just as you get through after waiting an eternity it either, runs out of credit or the battery goes flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Scott,

When I worked as a geologist in Tanzania, I had no means of communication when I was hundreds of miles out in the bush
    There would have been jungle drums surely.

Just use "The Ghost Who Walks", aka Mr Walkers drum connection, just remember to drum "0" to get an outside line.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    I doubt if I am likely to come to much harm on the highway between Elimbah and Caboolture,
    I can't believe you'd even think about driving between Elimbah and Caboolture without a phone??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Has that clock gone to your head or something???

P (very concerned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Wongo
    What is next? A mobile phone that only makes phone calls?

Wongo (chairman of the anti mobile phone association)
    I have one of those. I switch it on and take it with me whenever I leave home so that in an emergency I can make calls and switch it of when I'm back home.

The number is a closely guarded secret, only known to my wife and daughter, so if I'm not home they can contact me in an emergency.

Peter.

I'm with you Wongo. I don't have a mobile phone. I thought I was the only one in Australia.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    I have one of those. I switch it on and take it with me whenever I leave home so that in an emergency I can make calls and switch it of when I'm back home.

The number is a closely guarded secret, only known to my wife and daughter, so if I'm not home they can contact me in an emergency.

Peter.
    I'll have to have a peek in XXXX I.T. system that allocates numbers, and/or churn system that has ALL numbers - admin rights, acquired somehow :eek:

Now, Peter, about that timber you were going to get for me...

One that has a bigger key pad would come in handy........
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

Quote Originally Posted by zenwood
    I'm with you Wongo. I don't have a mobile phone. I thought I was the only one in Australia.
    When I was in South Africa in the late 80's / early 90's a mate bought a Phillips "Porty" (no conventional mobile phones there then); blerry thing cost around R16,000 I seem to recall; but he reckoned it worthwhile for his plant hire business.

Must have been desperate! As a fellow Yottie, I'd have thought that he could dished out a few h/held VHF radios to his crew, and schieved the same result for a lot less - so long as he didn't give a radio to his SWMBO

If you have a PocketPC phone you can run the PocketPC versions of the stair calculator at
    http://www.blocklayer.com/Stairs
    and the PocketPC versions of the concrete block calculators at
    http://www.blocklayer.com

but it'll never catch on

Quote Originally Posted by Auld Bassoon
    I'll have to have a peek in XXXX I.T. system that allocates numbers, and/or churn system that has ALL numbers
    Steve,

By all means try and see if you can find out the number but I must warn you that it isn't even in my name.

In any case if it rings and the callers ID doesn't belong to the phone numbers programmed in the phone I ignore it, as it must be spam.:eek: To me my mobile is not a way for the world to communicate with me but the way I can communicate with the world.

Maybe that is unusual, but it is me.

Peter.