Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Some of us can't afford to get someone else in.
    If you don't have a wife, I suggest you find a girlfriend!

Sounds like women's work!

Cheers,

P

Ahh! well, I'll put some pic's up anyway, have a look if you like, it might give someone a few ideas, enjoy!....

savage(Eric)
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

I let the edge get long, then undercut it with a shovel, and pull it out before I mow.

I don't give enough of a stuff to get too fancy. If the edges looked good, then it would mean I'd have to pay more attention to the lawn.

I don't use poison, too worried about my dogs getting a touch up.

The custom solution sounds by Savage sounds good though, but then I am getting ready for MYTHBUSTERS....
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

I use a Shindawa line trimmer.
    Added grease nipples to the head and shaft,
    and grease every so often........can't remember last time :confused: :confused:
    Run it with "Rich" 2-stroke Mixture and rev its Rings off.
    Still going after 18 years.
    Replaced the head once with a Sthil unit :eek:

Shindawa is Sthil good value for me.
    Navvi

Suggest you see your friendly mower shop for an aftermarket bump feed head

I replaced the single sided mculloch head with a no name double sided bump head about 10 years ago, its still going, just feed it line and keep going

Doug

I agree with Midge, thats woman's work, my job is making sawdust
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Useta be a Jim so did this caper for a crust.

Trick is to maintain the edges, by using the line trimmer every time you mow. Hold it so the line is spinning vertically, and work your way around all the path edges. Looks heaps better than edges trimmed flat or at a bevel. Bit of a knack to doing this well but perseverence brings reward.

If the edges are overgrown ue a disc type blade edger, shovel, whatever to get them back, to then maintain as per para 1. You can "cut" the edges back with the line trimmer, just takes a while and can be tiring.

If you have a straight shaft trimmer it is possible to mount a blade and edge with that. I did this on occasion but very carefully. BEWARE - clouting the edge of the concrete isn't real nice to your trimmer.

Line trimmer tips. Use quality oil, ie. Stihl, at 40:1 or 50:1. Use fresh fuel, ie. no older than a month or so. Unleaded doesn't keep well. When trimming, don't continually cycle the engine revs from idle up to full bore, idle, full bore, etc - this will coke up the exhaust port and muffler. Try to run at a reasonable steady throttle, 2/3 to flat out. Pay attention to what the line is doing, try to only use the tip of the line, more than this is the usual cause of the line breaking, let alone working the engine harder than needed. If line has a habit of breaking, try soaking in a bucket overnight. It can dry out marginally in warm weather and become a bit more prone to breakage. The nylon used is called "hydrophyllic" or somesuch, meaning it absorbs water slightly.

Man, I don't miss those days at all.

Cheers.............Sean, wozza Jim

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Stihl 120 brushcutter.

When i get that sucker out.......the grass s**ts itself.

Edged and fertilised in one easy step.
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

I use concentrated glyphosate, the active ingredient in "Roundup" etc. 50ml diluted in 5 litres does the whole garden (egdes, etc). A single bottle lasts for years, and is way cheaper than actual Roundup.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them . . . well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by zenwood
    I use concentrated glyphosate, the active ingredient in "Roundup" etc. 50ml diluted in 5 litres does the whole garden (egdes, etc). A single bottle lasts for years, and is way cheaper than actual Roundup.
    Never can spell it right . Yes I use 150ml to 15 litres so same mix as you suggest . 2 or 3 times a year makes for easy edging .

A great product for removing flatweeds and dandelions from your lawn is MCPA

How do I edge my lawns Concrete works every time for me, though some I know use pavers or bricks

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Ashore

I've got a Ryobi - Hornet I think but it has two attachments one is the bump feed whipper snipper - the other is a blade edge trimmer. If you want seriously good edge trimming then this is the way to go. used regularly it keeps a margin between paths and mower strips that look good and only need to be redone about as often as the Roundup but look like you are serious about it and its quick and easy.

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge
    If you don't have a wife, I suggest you find a girlfriend!

Sounds like women's work!

Cheers,

P
    I already have a wife, don't think I can afford a girlfriend as well. Getting your partner to do the work, I like that but it's easier said than done. She already says she is doing too much.

Thanks for the responses, I particularly like what you've done Savage, if only I could build it in a day.

For anyone who's interested, GMC will be releasing a petrol powered edge trimmer onto the market around the end of November this year. It will retail for about $199. It may well be the first tool that I have bought that my wife hasn't said "looks like a waste of money, hun".

“Father-in-law”

Let the bastard looks after the gardening department and I look after the joinery department.

Use an Atom lawn edger.

Purchased when first came out, never serviced and still going strong. On the second set of blades and I continually seem to edge the concrete rather than the lawn.

Great tool - noisey but very effective but does leave your hands feeling a bit numb after an hour or so.