Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Just a quick update on this. I ended up purchasing the West System epoxy system from Carbatec. The 1liter / 200 mills pack and managed to pick up the mini pumps from another location, just to make it a little easier to measure out.

We used this on Sunday to epoxy a small wedge to a bit of wood and used the filler with the rest of the epoxy and just poured it into any gaps. The friend really liked using the stuff.

Im surprised I didnt see this thread earlier Christos. I use what you have chosen. It works well for me. Just be aware of the health risks associated with exposure over time. I recommend you read Kim's experience over at the ANZLF, see here Australian/New Zealand Luthiers Forum :: View topic - Warning! Epoxy Grain Fillers, be very, very careful
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Interesting read. As with everything I try to be cautious.

I've used it a bit, its better than casting resin for filling in hardwood. Its sets hard quickly(24hrs in normal weather)and works much nicer too starting with handtools things like drips can be cut off with a old chisel while the resin is still in gel stage(couple hrs), once its set a hand plane or like I do a flat spokeshave for the roughing down then a card scraper for the best finishing tool for flat work. Then hit it with a random orbit sander to the grit needed for the finish type being used.
    In 50ml I tint with a drop or two of Ubeauts dyes, particularly the cedar for darkwoods comes out a dark smokey green black.

Any leftovers I pour into some pvc pipe with one end taped up... gunna try them on the lathe one day

It depends on what you want to do.

As a glue, one that will provide the highest strength, be totally water proof and have a touch of flex, the use two-part West Systems. I used this for many, many years repairing surfboards and windsurfers. It is fantastic quality. Excellent shelf life. The only negative is that proportions are important when mixing. The pumps make this a no-brainer.

Another advantage of epoxy as a glue is that it is gap-filling. If it is too runny, add micro-balloons to thicken it up. Or talc (powder).

You can colour epoxy. For tints, if you are looking for a close match, get some of the cement tints from Bunnings. I just keep a bottle each of black, brown and tan, and then mix as I need. Generally black is a good choice for most occasions. A little tint goes a long way.

For small jobs of filling holes, especially where you just want it done fast and the "fix" is not structural, the any of the 5-minute epoxies will do fine. I use these frequently.

Note that all the cheaper epoxies are not UV resistant and will become yellow over time. West Systems does offer a UV-resistance epoxy, if you want one that remains clear.

Polyester resin, as opposed to epoxy, is quick setting and cheap. It has a greenish tinge, sets harder and is more brittle. Not water proof. The only advantage is that it is easy to use as the two-part mix is not critical. Probably a better choice than expensive West Systems if used as a filler of holes and tinted black since it sets fast and is so cheap.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Visit www.inthewoodshop.com for tutorials on constructing handtools, handtool reviews, and my trials and tribulations with furniture builds.

Default A sample

Here is a sample of epoxy used in woodwork ( I just got permission to post these photo's)

Aris has used Clear, Opaque and coloured the clear is where the multi-colour strips are. The strips are actually ribbon cable used in electrical/computers components. This along with his other work in use of epoxy was demonstrated at an OTGA Ornamental Turners meeting 2 weeks ago.

Aris is an artist, carver & turner and his work is amazing.

The epoxy and resins used are not those bought from Caba or Bunnies.

That is some excellent work.

This is just an update on what I have been doing. I purchased the West System epoxy and alone with that I also purchased some Feast Watson Prooftint black. I had a few holes to fill.

Attachment 138702

This is part of a fish tank build, that is with out a doubt very slow progress.

a few holes, maybe you should have used a scraper to save on some hard rubbing back, a good sharp chisel will work just don't take make any more holes.

Christos did you get the slow hardener or fast??

You can use Laser printer thermal inks for colouring black also.

I ended up getting both the fast and slow. My thoughts were that I just might use this during summer as well as winter. .

Started to clean up the epoxy firstly with a chisel and then with sand paper of the little bits left. Slowly slowly getting there.