Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks everyone for your responses
    Food for thought...
    Just to explain - we have a young family, and also I as a uni student was breathing large and eye irritating amounts of formaldehyde for several hours almost daily for two years, so I have had a large exposure. Just trying to reduce my/our overall total exposure to a carcinogen....
    LeonieB

Hi leonie - I would have thought Universities would have been right up there on the dangers of inhaled Formaldehyde - have you suffered any long term effects? Inhaled formaldyhe is pretty yukky stuff.

Neil (ubeaut) does make a good point about the substances in recycled timber though.

I wouldnt be at all surprised if DDT, chlordane, deildrine, coal tar and napthene soluble resins turned up in old wood - particularly pine type timbers. I've had a most unpleasant experience with Old Growth hoop pine in the past.

Default Conversion Varnish

Conversion Varnish, which is one of the most popular coating being used today in both the large and small finishing shops that want a coating that is very hard, durable, and chemical resistant, it contains low formaldhyde that is within the goverments limits.

I have sometimes noticed a distinct lack of subtlety and tact on this forum.
    Now your trying to scare Leonie silly.
    The woman has gone to great lengths and trouble to make her environment as safe as possible.For as she has pointed out, very good reasons.
    I am sure she realises the obvious, that you cant entirely avoid hazardous material but to try to reduce exposure as much as possible makes sense.
    To now tell her that the effort shes made is a waste of time, is unkind and patronising.

And, yes I know this reply is very unsubtle.

Astrid

sometimes it is far better to be blunt rather than subtle.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Here you go - more household formaldehyde sources to worry about...

"Quaternium-15 is a preservative found in many cosmetics and industrial substances that acts as a formaldehyde releaser. It can be found in numerous sources, including but not limited to: mascara, eyeliner, moisturizer, lotion, shampoo, conditioner, nail polish, personal lubricants, soaps, body wash, baby lotion or shampoo, facial cleanser, tanning oil, self-tanning cream, sunscreen, powder, shaving products, ointments, personal wipes or cleansers, wipes, paper, inks, paints, polishes, waxes and industrial lubricants. It can cause contact dermatitis, a symptom of an allergic reaction, especially in those with sensitive skin, on an infant's skin, or on sensitive areas such as the genitals.

Imidazolidinyl urea is an antimicrobial preservative used in cosmetics. It is chemically related to diazolidinyl urea which is used in the same way. Imidazolidinyl urea acts as a formaldehyde releaser.

Diazolidinyl urea is an antimicrobial preservative used in cosmetics. It is chemically related to imidazolidinyl urea which is used in the same way. Diazolidinyl urea acts as a formaldehyde releaser.

Melamine resin or melamine formaldehyde is a hard, thermosetting plastic material made from melamine and formaldehyde by polymerization. This plastic is often used in kitchen utensils or plates and is the main constituent in high pressure laminates such as Formica and Laminex. Melamine resin is often used to saturate decorative papers which are directly laminated onto particle board; the resultant panel is often referred to just as "melamine" and is frequently used in ready-to-assemble furniture and inexpensive kitchen cabinets.

Note that studies indicate that health risks from formaldehyde relate to peak and average levels of exposure, not cumulative exposure: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/formaldehyde

Quote Originally Posted by astrid View Post
    ........To now tell her that the effort shes made is a waste of time, is unkind and patronising..............
    Astrid,
    where exactly did anyone say that Leonie's efforts were a "waste of time"?

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Hi MacS
    I googled conversoin varnish but did not find anything...who makes it and is this the brand name?

Thanks for everyone's input.

LeonieB

Leonie - Think you'll find that the within govt limits means it's most likely much higher than the Mirotone one you asked about originally.

Cheers - Neil

And, yes I know this reply is very unsubtle
    And so is this Astrid. Pull your head in. People are trying to help, you aren't.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

HI all
    I just did some research and found that 0.2% or higher of formaldehyde content is banned overseas.

Still looking for more ideas on other brands of formaldehyde-free lacquers (satin finish), which seem to be more available overseas than here.
    Thank you
    LeonieB

Default Here, is another coating you might use.....

Leonie,

Try "goggling" this one, "Precatalyzed Lacquer" or precat lacquer.

Precats, are better coatings then Nitrocellulose Lacquer" but not as good as Conversion Varnish.

Conversion Varnish, is the name of the coating, not the company name.

Question:

Is it common to find suppliers that sell nitrocellulose, precat lacquers, and conversion varnishes.

Mac, our paint industry is very different to yours... your environmental standards are higher than ours(I think?).
    Things like water finishes are just starting to take a hold here, most of our coatings are still petrochemical solvent based.
    Conversion varnish here is pretty well unheard of term and products like turbine guns are non-exsistant in the domestic market, here at a hardware shops all you will find are mostly polyU's and a few oil finishes we do not have the diversity of domestic products like the USA.

Default That's good info....

Harry,

Thank you, that's important information for a finishing writer.

MacS

Quote Originally Posted by MacS View Post
    Leonie,

Try "goggling" this one, "Precatalyzed Lacquer" or precat lacquer.

Precats, are better coatings then Nitrocellulose Lacquer" but not as good as Conversion Varnish.........
    Mac (& Leonie) most nitrocellulose lacquers sold in Australia are, in fact, pre-catalysed nitrocellulose lacquer.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938