Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snake season

A few years ago the police where called to a car stopped on the railway lines. When they got there this guy was trying to grab the Tiger snake in his car as it was repeatedly trying to bite him as it tried to escape. Story is the guy was bitten in his yard and thought you had to identify the snake to get the right antivenom. So he grabs the snake and drives towards the hospital. On the crossing the snake was attacking him again hence the scene the police were confronted by. As they approached the guy turns round with the snake in his hands. The copper has pulled his gun, not at the snake but at the guy telling him to back off. Copper didn't like snakes either.

Had two red bellied blacks in the back yard so far this year.

On the local ABC here in the New England on the the Saturday morning garden program they were talking about a product available called Shoo Snake that apparantly discourages snake by spraying it around your boundries or areas that you don't want them to come.

They were also discussing the fact that also a mixture of Phenol and water will discourage them.

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

There is one I have seen all around the country but don't know what sort it is, about 1 metre long, 2mm thick and roughly 200mm wide.
    They just sit there (usually on the road) and don't move
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

I got home from work this afternoon to find my Jack Russell, Spud, had killed a snake. It was in the house yard, and sure enough a brown snake!:eek: I measured it up, 1.2m or about 4foot, and while big enough to do some damage, I don't think it was fat enough to be the one in the chook pen...worse luck. I haven't taken a photo because its pretty torn up by the dog, although in one piece, unlike the previous one he got!

Good on ya Spuddy!!
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

We've been lucky so far, no snakes or toads but plenty of green tree frogs about here in the yard. I will take the frogs any day over the snakes. Found a dead one in a pot plant tonight and its mate had done a runner. while I was trying to get rid of the dead one. The paddock behind us was slashed last thursday night after its owners had slashed it. Hopfully this will keep the snakes down a bit. as well, I took this just as the firies were turning up. The fire itself was ony 30 metres from the back fence by the time it was bought under control.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

I meant burned after it was slashed. Doh...
    Dave,

I have discovered I am allergic to snakes.

New years eve three years ago I was bitten by a brown snake in my yard. After a three hour ambulance ride to Dubbo Base Hospital, I spent the rest of new years eve lying in a hospital bed. It took three months but my new year resolution that year was to dispatch that snake to greener pastures.

I am now sharing my shed with a six foot black snake. I have only spotted him a couple of times but he regularly leaves a distintive track through the wood shavings/sawdust when I am not there. When I am in the shed I keep a loaded shotty on the bench. My better half reckons a black is the lesser of two evils and the locals all reckon a black which usually has a more timid disposition to humans, will keep the browns away.

My opinion is that all snakes no matter what colour should find alternative accommodation. It is just too stressfull having to scan the area before moving about the shed or its immediate surrounds and every little odd noise makes me jump.

I was extremely lucky that when I was bitten, it was near an available supply of pressure bandage and a first aider, because the nearest anti-venom is an hour's drive and the nearest ICU hospital is another two hours further.

If you live in a rural area, ensure that you have first aid training and at least four or five rolls of elastic bandage on hand because that is what you need to apply an effective pressure bandage to an average build adult who has been bitten on the lower leg.

Quote Originally Posted by Bondy1s View Post
    I have discovered I am allergic to snakes.

.....I am now sharing my shed with a six foot black snake. I have only spotted him a couple of times but he regularly leaves a distintive track through the wood shavings/sawdust when I am not there.......
    Nooooooo! No way! Hell with woodwork if you have to do this. What happens if you both want to use a machine at the same time. What kind of furniture is he into making? Reckon my Grandfather (married at Longreach around 1900) knew a thing or two when he crossed the Tasman. UUUrrrrrrrrrr (shivers).

Don't worry Muzz, won't be long before you lot have a good supply over there. People will smuggle some in and a few will hitch a ride in containers etc. Then you will be able to share. Just like the redbacks etc we are exporting

Call me paranoid but I'd be relocating the snake with a .410 shotgun. IMO when it comes to kids & snakes, the snake looses hands down. My parents have a 50 acre farm and frequently come into contact with browns & king browns and they can be very agressive.

My daughter & SIL have just purchased a 5 acre property and I've already made it one of my jobs to reinforce with the 7yo & 4yo grandkids to look ahead of where they're walking/running and be aware of the possibility of snakes. Maybe its my finely tuned sense of self preservation (I can still remember a couple of near misses as a 4yo myself) but I reckon a .410 should be mandatory kit for anyone with a half acre & more.

Prefer a 12 guage with 2 barrels, just cos I don't really take much time to aim when I see one.

Last one I got was with stones from a distance, snake was unlucky.

I wouldn't be wandering down to the shed in the dark if I were you - many are quite active at night and those that aren't don't like to be disturbed.

Uncle Winchester works for me. Snake shoes, bags and belts are the best form of snake

How many of us grew up with the length of twisted fencing wire beside the back door? As good a way of educating snakes to take a nice rest on the ants nest as any? As kids we marvelled at how fast the ants could reduce a snake to components.

Quote Originally Posted by keith53 View Post
    but I reckon a .410 should be mandatory kit for anyone with a half acre & more.
    Unfortunately thanks to bonsai Johnny its not that easy any more.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

As I once said to a greenie, Snakes have a place in the ecosystem. Just not in my backyard. According to the QLD EPA website I could expect to see not only browns but they reckon coastal taipans as well which have been found in ipswich. With all this talk on snakes I wonder if there is a breeder of mongoooses around..
    Dave,