Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Fuzzie, it is THIS site. Every other site loads at its normal time. I've pointed out the source of the problem in my first post.

The Admin has a note of the problem, and it will be corrected when time permits.
    ... as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation. (A.Hitler)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Fuzzie, it is THIS site. Every other site loads at its normal time. I've pointed out the source of the problem in my first post.

The Admin has a note of the problem, and it will be corrected when time permits.
    I think that was established by the earlier replies. I wasn't meaning to suggest the problems I was experiencing were the only problems, but it made matters a whole lot worse for me. I was just trying to add some information to the thread for anybody else who might like to check their link speeds as part of isolating any similar fault they may have.

I think Neil does a great job to keep this site up and running as a free service in his spare time. It's a long time since I had the enthusiasm to be up past midnight every night trying to fix software bugs. Believe me I know how bad a well intentioned it's just a quick fix small change can go wrong, let alone a major software or hardware upgrade.

I also know the empty pit of your stomach feeling you get when you realize you've just done rm -rf * in root

when you realize you've just done rm -rf * in root
    Done similar.

Neil
    Thanks for all that you are doing. I would much rather have a slow forum than NO forum.

Have you thought about delegating some of the work to the computer nerds that populate this board. Send them the code to fix and then check it your self before loading.???

Anyone struggling with speed issues please try the U-Beauts skin and let me know if you notice a difference......... Apart from the glaring white screen.

Have changed a couple of things, Still al lot more to go but.... For me it's loading almost instantly even on my crappiest connection. Even with IE the most I've had to wait for an uncached page is 4 seconds. I'm happy to sacrifice that much time out of my day. Especially when I recall waiting for 3, 4, and 5 or more minutes for some things to load up a few years ago.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Have you thought about delegating some of the work to the computer nerds that populate this board. Send them the code to fix and then check it your self before loading.???
    Big problem is that most of it isn't code. The forums are one massive Database and most of it has to be done in situ. Taking a piece of code and giving it to someone doesn't really work. I have to give access to the entire database and am a bit reluctant to do that.

Plans are afoot.

Cheers - Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Then maybe we need to keep you at the keyboard and have some slaves oops, members turn up at the factory to do the work you should be doing instead of looking after us.
    This may mean you can render some members to ash .

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    Anyone struggling with speed issues please try the U-Beauts skin and let me know if you notice a difference......... Apart from the glaring white screen.

Have changed a couple of things, Still al lot more to go but.... For me it's loading almost instantly even on my crappiest connection. Even with IE the most I've had to wait for an uncached page is 4 seconds. I'm happy to sacrifice that much time out of my day. Especially when I recall waiting for 3, 4, and 5 or more minutes for some things to load up a few years ago.
    Neil, I am using the U-Beauts skin and appreciate the effort you are putting into this. Response times do seem to be considerably improved today,

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    I've been using Ubeaut's skin on IE since the changes and I haven't had any problems in loading.

But I go down the list of New Posts and shift click on about 6 or 7 of the posts I want to read at the same time to force them to open in additional windows. By the time I've done that the first few posts are ready to read and I close the window when finished and move to the next one. Then I repeat etc.

Hence no delays.

Peter.

G'Day Neil

Must admit to having been a bit frustrated lately, have just done as you suggested and switched to firefox, boy what a difference to everything, now just have to see if outlookexpress still works.

Thanks for all the effort and great forum.

Cheers
    Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by BernieP View Post
    G'Day Neil

Must admit to having been a bit frustrated lately, have just done as you suggested and switched to firefox, boy what a difference to everything, now just have to see if outlookexpress still works.

Thanks for all the effort and great forum.

Cheers
    Bernie
    Pages like this one are have a left panel (table) that is part of the main thread body table. When using IE nested tables don't display until they're closed ( I think), a page like this could have upto 15 posts and 100+ images. If nothing is cached the total downloaded is close to 500KB.

I doubt there is any speed difference between IE and FF. In this case firefox would 'feel' faster because you can start reading a thread wit in a second or two, it will still take a similar time to download everything else on the page.

So this is not an actual slow down, but an apparent slow down to the user, because they are used to seeing things come in gradually.

PS - we'll have this fixed soon.
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

My page loading speed seems to have gotten a bit better. It's gone from around 30-40 seconds a couple of days ago, to about 10-15 seconds now, still not as quick as it used to be, but I can live with that.

Thanks for all the work you put in Neil and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    My page loading speed seems to have gotten a bit better. It's gone from around 30-40 seconds a couple of days ago, to about 10-15 seconds now, still not as quick as it used to be, but I can live with that.

Thanks for all the work you put in Neil and Co.
    Hi there

That is still quite slow. What speed internet connection do you have?

regards
    Steve
    --
    Woodwork Forums
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    Hi there

That is still quite slow. What speed internet connection do you have?

regards

G'day Steven, I'm not much of a computer guru, but I think it is satellite broadband, 512MB up & download. Does that make sense, if not I'll find out for sure from someone who will know what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
    G'day Steven, I'm not much of a computer guru, but I think it is satellite broadband, 512MB up & download. Does that make sense, if not I'll find out for sure from someone who will know what it is
    Ironwood you can go to the bigpond speedtest website http://users.bigpond.net.au/speedtest/ . When it loads click on the button in the top left and after check the results panel down the bottom. The download speed will show the actual speed your up and down links are running at. For a variety of reasons the actual speed you see may vary from the plan you are signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzie View Post
    Ironwood you can go to the bigpond speedtest website http://users.bigpond.net.au/speedtest/ . When it loads click on the button in the top left and after check the results panel down the bottom. The download speed will show the actual speed your up and down links are running at. For a variety of reasons the actual speed you see may vary from the plan you are signed up for.
    Thanks Fuzzie, just gave it a go, it's telling me 512kb's download, 150 kb's upload