Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Being a coke-aholic I changed over to the new Zero sugar free and have lost 3kg.
    Gotaavacoke.

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    when i was a kid i weighed 115kg, i was a big kid, as soon as i left school and worked i was down to 75-80kg, must have been the absence of the tuckshop fingerbuns , pies and sitting arouund all day....you are what you eat...(and do), sit on your ass and eat like a pig and that's what you'll end up, burn more calories than you consume and the body uses fat for food, whatever you do don't cut down on food or you wont loose weight, you just got to cut the callaries and add a bit of exersize, but in moderation.
    My problem is that mid last year I had to quit work due to back injury and started to study full time. Since I wasn't doing manual work anymore I have gained about 9 kgs. Now I have sorted out a good therapy regime for my back I want to loose the extra weight (and a bit more would be nice ). All going well I will start riding with my daughter to and from school three days a week starting next week as we bought her a new bike for chrissy (got me one too). I'm looking forward to being fitter and namtrak's idea was at the perfect time!
    Have a nice day - Cheers

All going well I will start riding my daughter to and from school three days a week
    Hope she can carry the weight!
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    Nearly there already. In the last 4 months I've lost 8.5 kgs not from any dieting but from the healthy exercise of gardening and dancing.

Peter.

i bet you've watched that movie 'shall we dance ' a dozen times...
    Hurry, slowly

and regards to dieting , your on the right track Sturdee, dieting is a waste of time...your just burning more energy now, so it naturaly happens...

good stuff mate...saw the snazzy garden too
    Hurry, slowly

mmm yeah but as I got older it got harder so I just try to maintain the weight I am and not gain more. Now I figure its a case of diet, exercise get fit and die anyway. morbid but true
    the only difference I can find as I have lost a few mates over the last couple years the fit ones were easier to carry. no humour intended just being realistic
    Go for it but keep expectations at a realistic level.
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Already done it!

Since October 2004 I have dropped 12kg and raised my fitness level dramatically. Especially my cardio-vascular fitness. My resting heartrate has dropped from 79 to 50.

How did I do it? Mainly exercise, but I also reduced intake of high fat/salt/sugar foods, and re-aligned my portion sizes to what I needed rather than what would fit on the plate.

In any exercise program, especially a program like mine that is a solo effort, you just have to get the motivation right. In the past my efforts have all ended because I got bored or allowed things to get in the way (weather, work, trips away etc) While at the Adelaide show in 2004 I noticed a particularly good rowing machine, and when I found out about the motivation program run by the manufacturer, I bought one. It's all internet based, but there are goals and even prizes for distance and speed, regular competitions, clubs to join, etc, etc. I have settled down to a program of about 25-30 minutes rowing 5 days a week, and have completed over 2 million metres since I bought the machine.

woodbe

if only you had a dollar for every metre....
    Hurry, slowly

Me too woodbe, was up to 114kg... now hover around 85 depending on what type of program Im doing at the gym. Might even start competing soon(next year).
    I reckon I'd be about 70kg if I wasnt a gym yuppie, its amazing how much muscle weighs.

Quote Originally Posted by la Huerta
    i bet you've watched that movie 'shall we dance ' a dozen times...
    No, but I did watch the movie 'Dirty Dancing' again.

Peter.

Yes. Common problem among the rowing people too. The shot is to replace fat with muscle and burn some fat too. Using a program helps, and also a heartrate meter is a good idea for both safety (so you don't overdo it) and to get into the intended zone (burn it, or build it)

woodbe

I've lost about 9kg. I am 180cm tall and weighed 85kg. Hardly overwight but enough for my liver to complain (fatty liver, precursor to diabeties). I scratched around for ages trying to find an excercise program that didn't bore the crap out of me.

I decided to take up cycling. I signed up for the Great Victoria Bike Ride as a motivator and haven't looked back. Just love going out for a ride and I'm at the stage where I actually look for steep hills to climb. :eek:

Most of the states have bike rides now. I recommend signing up and get on yer bike.
    Photo Gallery

Another Me Too story. Cut out anything really fatty and eat more friut etc. But!!!! Eat more often. I used to not have breakfast and lunch then pigged out on dinner etc.

Now I eat all day, walk 7km every luchtime, go to gym etc.

lost 15kg and all healthy signs fine after about 4 mths. cholesterol down blood pressure heart rate.

190cms 82 kg.

What Grunt says, although like Woodbe I dropped 14kg a year ago by similar diet, and upping the K's on the bike consistently. I don't do the gym thing, being a firm believer that as long as I don't have any muscles I've got nothing to injure.

Have just had two weeks off the bike while the PDRacers are consuming pre-work time, and I miss it!

My dearest has also got the message, with the daily walk and gym, and it does make it a lot easier when we are eating similarly.

One fascinating observation: in our travels, we keep our luggage light, but still lug 12 -14 kgs a piece, and that gets pretty heavy and tiring occasionally.... till you realise that that's how much extra FAT you were lugging everywhere....

Cheers,

P

Is weight a problem if you are not carrying any fat?

Work has a BMI (Body Mass Index) and I am over it, but am not carrying any fat, and so long as I can still pass the fitness assessment they don't care.
    Its a bit harder on the joints, but my 105 kg doesn't include much fat.

I agree that exercise has to be enjoyable. I used to run about 60 km a week, and ended up hating it. Now I don't run much anymore but hit the exercise bike with a good book as my main form of cardio. Much better.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/