Ok here is a test panel I did the other night with casting resin tinted with brickie's oxide...

1. Resin in place
2. Sanded and finished with one coat of Danish Oil
3. Closeup of finished piece

The filling job is pretty rough and dirty - several of the nail holes the resin has soaked in and doesn't reach the top any more. When I do the cabinet panels I will stay in the shed for long enough to keep mixing new batches and topping up holes as the resin sinks in.

Btw this panel has way more gum vein than any of the pieces I am using for my cabinet - thankfully they gave me enough for an extra length and I was able to get away without using it. I do have some big holes to fill tho...

Could also get away with less oxide in the final job - was hard to do on the test panel because I only mixed 20ml of resin. I wouldn't mind the resin being a bit more translucent. Geez the 1kg of oxide I bought is going to go a looooong way .

Tip I got from HWMBO is to use paper masking tape for the back - it sticks just fine.

I am doing only a rough sand of the panels first because they are biscuit jointed and I want to get the surface as close to finished level as possible because I don't want to fill a surface and then end up sanding right thru the fill when getting my panels flat? This is taking ages thanks to the Blackbutt being so hard - am off to Bunnys now to get some more 80 grit discs...

Steph