Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    When did PC manufacturers start making software?
    Quote Originally Posted by You
    Since the first day of the Apple computers back in 198something.
    Hang on, are you lumping Mac under the umbrella of "PC" now? That makes even less sense when you head a thread "Mac vs PC". Make your mind up. You Mac lovers are a fickle lot.

It doesn’t matter which way you choose to read the article, Macs still come out the best, even when running Vista on a Mac.
    Like I said, keep going, you might convince yourself one day.

Some of these Mac people really are as painful as the old Betamax lovers. I mean, love your Mac, sleep with it if you wish, no-one is going to have a problem with that. But for god's sake stop trying to convince everyone your choice of home computer is best. Just how insecure are you?

It's like this thread. You didn't ask a question, nobody asked for information on Macs. You just decided it was your civic duty to start it. How did you think it was going to go? Do you really think you're ever going to convince anyone who is set in their ways? And what if you do, what is it to you? It's like Mormons coming to your door trying to save you. Is that what you're doing? Trying to save us poor heathen PC users?

Like you said in the other thread, you need to get a life. Get out more. Switch off the Mac and get out to the shed. You do have a shed don't you?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Humm! You always hear most Mac users have had PC's, but very few PC users who have tried Mac's. "As he ponders"

Quote: "Trying to save us poor heathen PC users"

NO, Micro soft is there to save the PC users of the world, or monopolize the world which ever comes first.

This thread can never be resolved, as in all honesty, there is no right answer, except for each of us to use what we feel confortable with.

I really enjoy a Caesar salad the better half dislikes them, don't figure... every body has to like Caesar salad ....I do.. No right answer!

Micro$oft makes ...software
    Apple makes ...hardware

This battle goes to the days Bill Gates and Steve Jobs drew lines in the sand. Bill obously won the battle but the war continues.

My last piece on this thread is "NO WINNER"

John
    Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better,
    But will make what I am looking at better.

You always hear most Mac users have had PC's, but very few PC users who have tried Mac's.
    Not sure I agree with that - hasn't been my experience. Some sure, but not most. I think I know one guy who had used a PC but preferred a Mac. Not even sure he ever owned a PC. There are so few of them I have met, I can probably recall the individual circumstances of each.

I'm not arguing whether or not Macs are better than PCs. They probably are, I wouldn't know. When my boss comes to me and says "the day has finally come, most of our customers are now using Mac, so we need to switch" I'll happily go along with it. Until then, I just see my PC as a necessary tool in my job, quirks and all.

No, my issue is with these guys who feel like they have to shout it from the rooftops. You've made your choice, good for you. I'm so happy for you. Just be comfortable with it and stop justifying it to the world - 99.9% of us don't care.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

I think 87% ....and thanks

We can agree to disagree, and get back to the work shop making saw dust. This we all agree on .... right
    Have a great day and a better tomorrow!
    Thanks
    John
    Cleaning my glasses will not make me look any better,
    But will make what I am looking at better.

And may your nose forever be blue!

Thumbs up Macs

Aside from having a Quad Core G5 with blistering speed in 1Gig P/Shop files, and unlike you poor blokes on PCs, I have never ever, ever, ever had a freeze in 3 years on my gruntmaster.

Try that on a PC.

Next mac will be a 8 Core MacPro. (or whatever is the biggest and baddest in 2 years, or maybe next year )
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Define "freeze".

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Define "freeze".
    Computer locking up in any way, be it software, OS, hardware or otherwise.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Locking up? What as in not accepting keyboard or mouse input? Do you mean in a transient way, as in it sorts itself out, or as in it needs to be shut down, or what?

Locking up? What as in not accepting keyboard or mouse input? Do you mean in a transient way, as in it sorts itself out, or as in it needs to be shut down, or what?
    In anyway. A freeze is generally software or hardware. But for you lot on PCs, lets include "freeze" to be inclusive of everything that inhibits my Mac from working 100% in the manner that it should.

www.brandhouse.net.au

OK, so a 'freeze' is a period of non-responsiveness from an application. What's the threshold for a freeze? If I click a button and the hourglass cursor shows and I can't do anything in the app for a second or two is that a freeze? Or does it go longer? 30 seconds? I have a couple of apps that can take that long, but they are usually waiting for a response from a server - eg. SQL Server over a VPN can sometimes take a few seconds to respond. Is that a freeze?

(step away from the PC and go into your shed )

www.brandhouse.net.au

No, come on. You made the claim, so let's explore it.

No, come on. You made the claim, so let's explore it.
    Okay Silent, a freeze doesn't count when you have the clock or in a Mac which is referred to as the Spinning Beach Ball of Death unless that application ceases to respond and thus the computer ceases to respond - then you have a freeze.

A screen lockup, keyboard, OS, software or such that results in a failure of the computer to operate at any manner other than 100% working state is a freeze.

So to reinterate, I've never had a freeze in the life of this wonderful piece of machinery. Nor have I on my 17" Titanium G4 PowerBook, to be fair I have though on my old G4 and 1.6 G5.

(just don't get technical on me, I'm not a computer boffin, nerd geek or otherwise, just a bloke making a quid on a Mac so that I can enjoy things in life )

www.brandhouse.net.au

OK, well I haven't had one of those either in the 3 years that I've had this machine. And I don't recall it being a regular thing with the last one. I've certainly had the hour glass, but if that wasn't normal, there wouldn't be an icon for it I've never restarted this machine because it was not responding.

So, stalemate

It's just that I've heard this claim so many times from Mac users, but it's not borne up by my own experiences. Not saying that PCs don't frustrate the crap out of me at times, as does Microsoft.

I think a lot of what people see as a 'freeze' is really an application struggling with a lack of resources. A lot of those problems disappear if you throw money at them, something you seem to have done by the sound of it.

One of the reasons I suppose I don't experience these lock up problems is that I usually have a fairly current machine with lots of RAM and I don't run XP or Vista. I also don't install a lot of games and other crap. All of my software is work related and almost without exclusion from Microsoft or Adobe, so not shareware rubbish.