Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Not only American-isms but I hate plain old Manglish like some of local identities up here have been foisting on us lately. The latest one is de-necessary. What ever happened to dispensable or superfluous?

And don't even get me started on the "verbing" of nouns...

Cheers
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by ubeaut View Post
    I'll also bet there's a lot who don't know what a zac, deena, or trey are
    Sure, Zac is the boy down the road and Deena is his sister, a trey is what their mum brings them sandwiches on

I get annoyed at people saying Lumber and Brocolleeeeee

yer lumber really anoyes me and is brocly.

youz and hiya

www.carlweiss.com.au
    Mobile Sawmilling & Logging Service
    8" & 10" Lucas Mills, bobcat, 4wd tractor, 12 ton dozer, stihl saws.

Moonta Bay in the Copper Triangle, S. Australia

I use "oreg arno" in my cooking sometimes. When I see TV cooks from Britain or America, they call it "oh regg a no".

They say toe mate toe, I say tom art oh. G W Bush couldn't even spell potato. (Remember he got caught out spelling for some school kids and put an E on the end)?

Our everyday language is evolving all of the time, but the Oxford Dictionary is the one to abide by. Sadly we are influenced by TV, and George Cole as Arthuur DALEY gave us "Er' Indoors".

Closure is now a word used by everybody who has something to say about anything.

Moving On. This is the one bugging me lately. Get into trouble, get caught doing something wrong? Tell the world you just want to move on from it all. The world will then know you are now a better person . . all except me, I don't believe it.

By the way, we do have quite a few cobbers from the USA on the Forums, as well as the UK, so let's not forget, we are on the WWW, and we do at least know what these terms mean.
    Buzza.

"All those who believe in psycho kinesis . . . raise my hand".

What bugs me more than anything else is the phrase 24/7 supplanting the simple word of "always" or "all the time" .

Peter.

Moonta Bay in the Copper Triangle, S. Australia

24/7, yes, I am sick of that one too, and I want to have closure on it and move on.
    Buzza.

"All those who believe in psycho kinesis . . . raise my hand".

Quote Originally Posted by funkychicken View Post
    Brocolleeeeee
    That's better than brocoll-eye which is an anglicization of the original brocoli-ee

One that that bugs me is "eye - talian"
    And
    Aussies that can't pronounce or too lazy to try and pronounce or say anything in the original way and think that if they just say it louder foreigners will understand what they are saying.

Angry

Ron,
    I'm with you all the way.
    We should walk to the crease, take guard, duck a bumper, then hook the bastards for six, but, we'll "step up to the plate, go the whole nine yards,get a ball park figure after doing the math, and kick ass!!
    Fair dinkum, mate, it'd fair make a saint swear, but I'm so p888-weak ,now that I couldn't knock a f**t off a gatepost in a bloody gale.
    It's enough to give as bloke the tom-tits, so I'll shoot through now....
    Hoo-roo.

PS. What's wrong with "Newchum"??.Good old Aussie description of a beginner at anything, and only one letter longer than that other apalling invention

And another thing---When did it become OFF-fence, and DEE-fence???.
    Last edited by Lignin; 15th March 2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Another thing......

Quote Originally Posted by Buzza View Post
    I use "oreg arno" in my cooking sometimes. When I see TV cooks from Britain or America, they call it "oh regg a no".
    Well sorry but you are both wrong, It's "o - rre -gahno" with the "o"'s as in "of" and rolled "rr"s, once again aussie to lazy to learn how to say the original word bought here by latino migrants.

Thumbs up

According to The Shorter Oxford Dictionary," Oregano " can be pronounced either way.I've always said Ori-Garno,, and, until tonight's excursion into the dictionary, I thought the others were wrong.
    It's a bad day when you learn nothing, eh, mate.

Thumbs up

Oh, and those of us who are "Bugged" by something are, I believe, using an Americanism that means"Vexed" or "Annoyed", or even, perhaps, "Discombobulated'.I'm sure tey are not meaning that listening devices have been attached to their telephonic apparatus!!

Let's get the spelling right, plu-eeese!!!!eleven!!

First off, it's n00b (that's two zeros in the middle there) when used in relation to teh intarwebs* (originally, newbie was British public school/military slang).

Similarly, that half gigabyte drive houses your 'pr0n collection', (a zero again) not your collection or even those magazines that you only buy for the articles.

The opposite of a n00b is a h4x0r, and a good h4x0r is l33t especially if they manage some good n00b pwnage; and if you are happy with how something has turned out, you can say w00t!

Personally, I love extra words like these as they allow you to pack more contextual meaning into a sentence. It also means you can ostracise those who actually say 'LOL' in a real-life conversation. Kekeke.

GTG; BIO.

*Its 'teh intarwebs' because it's all a series of tubes... 'an Internet was sent by my staff at 10 o'clock in the morning on Friday. I got it yesterday.'

"Kick ass!" Why are Septics perpetually cruel to donkeys? Or maybe they don't know their collective ass from their 4rse. I've noticed in a few dictionaries that "ass" has become an accepted alternative for "4rse"! Damn the Septics and their common (mis) usage! Personally, I don't rely on mediocre dictionaries that side with that hip type of modern usage.

One that really gets my goat is the Aussie confusion over the past tenses of the words 'bring' and 'buy'.

You don't "bring" a can of beans at the supermarket, you "buy" it ergo you "bought" it (bought being the past tense of buy).
    You don't "buy" a slab of beer to a BBQ, you "bring" it ergo you "brought" it (brought being the past tense of bring).

I don't understand why that ignorance exists and persists, but for those who get confused with the two, just remember, "bring" and "brought" both have an "r" while "buy" and "bought" don't. It's not difficult.

I really wish the Septics would refrain from refering to their language as "English". It's not and it's an insult to English-speaking peoples. English is your language - use it and support it before it's totally consumed by the internet and Septic media.
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Cone on gentlemen and ladies.
    Enough of the language analysis and back to the shed where anything can be said, whether in jest or in anger.
    And some of those words can not be analysed, are not printable, but have universal meaning.
    Lets cut wood!!!