Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: block survey ?

OK I know this is an old thread, but...

I buy property as part of what I do for a living.

I ALWAYS have an ID survey done before doing any work, and if I have any doubt at all regarding the location of the boundaries (or the site), before I settle the purchase.

It's not about what the cost of the survey is, it's about the cost of buying the wrong block of land, or demolishing half a building, or spending a fortune on consultants before finding the building won't fit on the site.

One particular solicitor of my acquaintance in a small coastal town, would not do any conveyencing work for a new client if they were buying land from a particular developer. It was not unusual to find the actual block contracted was some kilometres from the one inspected!

In suburbia, things like carports are often well over boundaries and it is useful to fix all of that before you actually settle.

So, just put the cost of the survey down beside stamp duty as something you really need to do.

Cheers,

P

Just to reinforce what Midge said, two actual cases I know of:

Local project builder builds house. Owner of block turns up and says, umm that's my block, would you mind terribly just taking your house away. Project builder offers to swap blocks, owner doesn't accept.
    Project builder offers house at a reduced rate, owner doesn't accept.
    Project builder knocks down almost complete house.
    Project builder takes a long time to recover from finacial setback.

Developer buys city building block, just across the road from the newest, largest and most popular shopping centre.
    Knocks down existing building in preparation for new 3 story commercial building.
    Neighbouring business, who owns building and business outright gets his boundaries surveyed as a precaution.
    Work commences and neighbour notes that the building will encroach on his block.
    Neighbour informs site supervisor who impolitely tells him to mind his own business.
    Building is finished and surveyed for strata title purposes.
    Building is found to be nearly a metre over the boundary.
    Developer meets with neighbour to discuss, neighbour tells them he was aware of problem but was ignored.
    Developer offers to buy x M2 off neighbour at currrent valuation, less subdivision costs, fees, taxes etc. Neighbour would get grand sum of $1800 and lose almost 1 M off the side of his driveway. Neighbour sells tyres and moves a lot of cars around so needs his driveway, besides he wasn't really pleased with initial response from supervisor.
    Neighbour uses the same impolite terms the supervisor initially did to turn down offer.
    Developer is forced to demolish entire wall at great cost.

Mick
    "If you need a machine today and don't buy it,

tomorrow you will have paid for it and not have it."

- Henry Ford 1938

Funny isn't it.

Many people will pay for a building inspector, or a pest inspector to look at the house they are going to buy, yet don't want to pay for a surveyors report.

People will get a mechanic (or a mate, proported to know about such things) to look at a car before they buy it, yet who needs to know where their fences are in relation to the boundarys, or if that new swimming pool in the back yard is built over a drainage easement.

Whenever buying a property it is a must. Make sure your solicitor organises it, or organise one yourself. If you are selling, there is no law to say you can't have the survey done, and include it in the contract. It can make the whole process move along more smoothly at a time when many people are stressed enough.

Oh, and next time you see a surveyor working in the street, go up to him and try one of these.........

"Hey mate, wadda ya doin.....some surveying or something are ya ?"

"Hey mate, are we gittin new kerb-n-gutterin are we ?"

"Wadda ya surveying that for mate, its all been surveyed before ya know !!"

If that doesent work......try this one.........

"Hey mate....20 to the left.....HA HA HA HA HA".

Trust me, surveyors love that stuff.............NOT !!!!

As as been said - get a survey.

Mostly available for between $500 & $800 with a full report unless there is some special problem that they have to deal with.

There is s recommended fee structure published by the Institution of Surveyors http://www.isaust.org.au/, but I think they are available only to members.

The rules vary by State, but in most places the survey cost (like fences) must be shared by your immediately adjacent neighbours (unless it is public land). Of course this can be a issue if you see a need for a survey and they don't - but they too run the risk of any problems if the alignments are incorrect. A gentle first approach once you have a good idea of costs is the way to go.

The "possession is 9/10ths" has in almost all cases been subsumed by statute law - so getting the boundaries right with a survey (with pegs and a report) is the safest way to go. Most now include GPS references.

i recently got a simple survey of my 16 ha block near hervey bay qld done for $770