Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by journeyman Mick View Post
    If it was my block I'd get a bobcat in to scratch it all up and level it out.
    Mick
    Yeah I agree with Mick. Get a bobcat with a rake instead of a bucket to go over the whole area. Before the weed seeds would be great. The bob cat rake would bury half of that weed too deep for it to be an issue again and what is left on the top you could rake off.

Depending on how much you could get tree mulch for, I would cover it with a thick layer (like 100mm/200mm) then just spot spray the weeds coming through...

Limiting the light for the germinating seed with a thick wood mulch works well.

I'll lend you my flame thrower - much more fun!

Once established Paterson's curse can strongly compete with pasture species.
    Paterson's curse contains an accumulative poison which may cause chronic liver damage to stock although they will usually avoid it if there is other green feed available.
    Can cause severe hay fever in some people.
    link

good reasons for getting rid of the weed(s)

Thanks for your help everyone. Slowly getting started on this project ! My next question, seeing as I'm completely clearing all the weeds from our backyard, there is a paddock next door to the yard which runs approx. 60 metres along a side boundary, it is also full of weeds/grass nearly 2 metres tall, and the fencing is currently rural type fencing (wire and posts)...

Is this going to have an effect on my yard/garden? I assume one of the main methods weeds spread is via air/breeze, if that paddock is full of weeds and the wind is blowing in my yards direction, won't that create another weed outbreak?

Or if once I clear the yard and put all methods in place to naturally prevent weeds e.g. mulching, densely planting/etc to ensure there is no room for weeds to grow and pulling them out before they seed will this be enough of a preventative?

It would be good to eventually get a colorbond fence along there, which would probably shield our yard from some of the weeds trying to spread, but seeing as its a paddock, i can't see the other owner being interested in paying half & also the fact that if we paid for it and they put a horse in there, one kick on the fence would put a huge dent in it..

Any ideas? Thnx again for ur help so far

Sheet mulch.

Basically, slash as much as is realistic, cover with a layer of newspaper, old carpets, old clothing, hessian sacks, cardboard, anything which is biodegradable. Then cover with straw, compost, horse muck etc.

Wait a few months, making sure to spend regular amounts of time watching it to be sure its doing its job. Cold drinks will help with this.

Suprisingly effective at destroying weed seeds due to the high temperatures (60+) generated under the mulch.
    Cheers, Richard

"... work to a standard rather than a deadline ..." Ticky, forum member.

Thumbs up Much Mulch

Shreaded Ofice paper as well,
    not to much Ink

Lady-friend grows Roses, and uses this and the above
    Navvi

Dammit,
    Weeds in any adjacent properties, will certainly have an impact on your property, but I think you'll find that as long as you look after your own "patch" you should easily keep the effects minimal.

... also remember that your own weed infestation has left a large seed bank of weed seeds behind that could stay viable for close to a decade.
    Cheers.

Vernon.

shadecloth on the fence will help a bit to keep their weeds out of your garden.

From the photo, you have pattersons curse, and the yellow ones are wild radish, or wild rape/canola or one of the other 50 or more brassicas that there are. It looks to me that your land has been over grazed and generally abused. Patersons curse and brassicas invade disturbed land easily. To be brief, my suggestion is ( I control weeds for a living)

Clean up all the rocks etc.

Slash everything as low as possible

Wait for a bit of regrowth.As the autumn rains arrive.

Spray whole area again with roundup - read the label for rates on Patto. You may need to add a surfactant to the roundup to make it stick to the leaf.( glorified dishwashing detergent, but dont use dishwashing detergent) - the rural supplies will sell you something.

Scarify the area with a harrow if there is a farmer around, or rotary hoe that you can hire. Don't need to go too deep unless the ground is really compacted.

Suss out from the local farm or seed supplier a pasture grass mix that will suit your area and what you want to do with it ( dont just buy cheap grass seed)

Sow the seed.

When it has all grown, keep it healthy by not mowing it too short. This is the best way of keeping the area weed free - competition from the grasses will then keep the broad leafed weeds out.

You can then follow up with using a broad leaf specific herbicide every now and then that targets the brassica and the patto, without harming the grass.

It probably sounds to you like a lot of chemicals, but if you do a thorough spray now, and a bit of follow up, you will end up with a more sustainable, low chemical use area than you have a the moment.