Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The flaw in Zed's argument comes when this philosophy is, and indeed has been adopted by those responsible for education.

Mixing up hard and difficult and making simple spelling errors due to dumb finger syndrome, or, honestly having trouble spelling certain words may not make a world of difference.

However, when our education system allows this to happen, as long as the meaning is expressed , I have a problem. In a short space of time, the meaning fails to be conveyed. I have two children in primary school, their spelling, grammar, and maths is atrocious. The problem is difficult to resolve, we now have a population of teachers which have progressed through the system being taught the close enough is good enough syndrome, and they know no better.

FWIW, both my children are above average intelligence, this is not a proud father boasting, just a simple fact.

This is not a slap in the face to those mebers of the board, who have genuine trouble with spelling. I probably had a shot back in the dark ages when spelling nazis reigned here. I do not, and will not pass comment on the spelling or grammar of any member. I have learnt a few facts since becoming a member here.
    Boring signature time again!

Quote Originally Posted by outback
    I do not, and will not pass comment on the spelling or grammar of any member. I have learnt a few facts since becoming a member here.
    Good for you.
    I always think it is better to get someones opinion, whether their first launguage is English or not.
    What matters is that they have some input, and/or a good idea.

I was brought up in England, had a good grasp of the language/spelling, but of late it all seems to be a lost art, maybe I am losing a lot of brain cells every day.
    Some days are a real struggle to be able to spell.
    Other days its easy.
    But I have fun.

Al