Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

See the link to Ubeaut Polishes in the frame, top left.
    Cheers, Ern

As Ern said all the info is just a click away on the banner above.

But briefly:

• Hard Shellac can be used the same way as any other shellac.
    • Sold in liquid as it has to be specially blended and the raw form has a short shelf life if incorrectly stored.
    • 500ml size gives a minimum of 1 litre and up to around 4 litres + depending on how you intend to use it.
    • Comes in 500ml, 5 litre and 25 litre sizes.
    • Not really suitable for use over other finishes as they may move at different rates and could create crazing on the surface down the track.
    • Not available everywhere and never will be. We stick with speciality shops or online sale through our distributors.
    • Click on the U-Beaut banner above to find out more.

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    I sanded back my kitchen island hardwood benchtop earlier in the year, about 6 months ago and refinished it with Ubeaut's Hard Shellac, about 6 coats I think. Sure, i look after it by keeping it clean, wiping up spills etc and it is early days yet, but except for one small scratch, it has held up so well.
    I'm interested in this. I've got a hardwood island bench top to make soon and I was wondering what I would finish it with.

I've read the info on Hard Shellac on the UBeaut site, but I guess my question would be how easy is it to repair? Is it a case of sanding the finish right back to reapply, or can you just give a light sand and add another coat over old coats?
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Neil's data sheet for it can be found here

If it can be used as per any other shellac presumably it's repairable but Neil's the man to advise.

And one wrinkle is that cos it's flammable it can't be sent through the mail AFAIK.
    Cheers, Ern

Thanks Ern. The data sheet link on the Hard Shellac page isn't enabled.

I did have a bottle of it a few years ago which I'm sure I got through the mail though...
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    Thanks Ern. The data sheet link on the Hard Shellac page isn't enabled.???

I did have a bottle of it a few years ago which I'm sure I got through the mail though...
    I just tried the Hard shellac page,and it works fine.Give it another go
    Back To Car Building & All The Sawdust.

I can get to the Hard Shellac page but the Data Sheet link is not active. It's just text, no HTML anchor.

Quote Originally Posted by silentC View Post
    I can get to the Hard Shellac page but the Data Sheet link is not active. It's just text, no HTML anchor.
    That's true on the Hard Shellac page , but if you follow Ern's link you get to the information sheet page where the link is activated
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

All of u-Beauts Data Sheets can also be found in the Forum Library
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

That's true on the Hard Shellac page , but if you follow Ern's link you get to the information sheet page where the link is activated
    Yes I know that...

I went to the Hard Shellac page after reading RR's post to see if I could find info on whether Hard Shellac is easily repairable like normal shellac, or harder to repair like poly.

I discovered the Data Sheet link was not enabled, so I posted my question.

Ern gave me an alternative link, which I thanked him for, but I just wanted to point out that I had tried to find it on the Hard Shellac page and the link there is not enabled.

It still doesn't answer my question though.

Thanks Ern and Neil, I was being a little lazy and so hence my question. I took both of your advice and yes my questions are answered. I guess the next thing to do is similarly get off my butt and place an order for some Hard Shellac, and other stuff, to try it out for myself.

I have plenty of projects to get on with afterall. Cheers Dave

Try it Dave, oh please do. It is worth it's weight in titanium! Yes, I'm biased because I use it and love it! Hard Shellac also makes a great fingernail polish on the occasions I forget to wear gloves

SilentC - I don't see why a good clean, a light sand and another good clean before reapplying a coat to the whole benchtop wouldn't work. I can appreciate that maybe re-applying to a large benchtop would be a pain. In all honesty, I've never had to repair a scratch in a Ubeaut-shellac'd piece before, so I'm not the best to answer this.

cheers
    Wendy

It can be refinished with 1200 grit abrasive lubricated with our FoodSafe Plus Oil so there shouldn't be any major problem to repair. Shellac has the amazing ability to stick to petty much anything so there also should be no problem with it sticking to itself eh.

Any hard, durable finish will be hard to repair, even some not so hard, not so durable ones, like poly.

Yes Hard Shellac is hard to finish, but not as hard to repair as a many others.

We had a French polished table in our family when I was growing up it was some 60 years old and looked as good as new. In those days we did this really strange thing. We looked after our possessions and didn't treat them like rubbish. That table was used regularly for dining at as well as for dads office, games and a variety of crafts.

Today many tables are all but ruined in a few years. Is it the modern finishes or people who never learned respect for their, or anyone else's property. I've watched people who should know better put hot cups and a lot worse on polished tables when there was a coaster sitting right in front of them. It seems to be common practise. No wonder the important question nowadays is how hard is it to repair.

Well it sounds like you get asked that question a lot Neil. Maybe it would be a good addition to the data sheet.

Thanks for your response. I'll make sure there are plenty of coasters laying about when I finally get the job done.

I bought a new dining table last year, was finished with a standard stain, some sort of varnish and wax. I love the shape and edging of the table but hate the finish. One day I fully intend on stripping it back and refinishing it in, yep Hard Shellac and trad wax. Only then will I be completely happy with it. Don't know what sort of wax they used, but it keeps every single mark and no matter how I try to clean it, those marks remain At least with trad wax it's so easy to repolish it.