Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by ozwinner
    Most of my boats!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of my boats!!, are you some sort of tycoon???

Al, the pauper
    Yep!

P

Post Works well

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman
    Is this a good or bad idea?

Cheers
    Wildman
    Hi, eight years ago I made my kitchen benchtops from Messmate T&G flooring boards applied to a base of 19mm flooring sheets.
    The finished product was fabulous and still looks great today.
    We had some work done in the TV room by a chippy who was in awe of the work I had done.
    Give it a go, it is well worth the effort.

Regards,

Rodger
    Androgens Order
    Forgive your enemies, but never, ever forget their names.
    The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but never forget.

I did a kitchen last year on the gold coast... benchtops needed replacing...
    After picking myself up from floor after getting quotes from kitchen place for laminated tops, I used Indo Brace Ply, about 6mm, $16 for an 8x4 sheet. This is hardwood faced. Gave it 4 coats of gloss estapol, each side, sealed edges, glued down to roughened laminex existing tops with liquid nails and fitted tas oak mouldings ... looks great... seems to be lasting fine. Being ply, there is no probs with expansion or contraction...
    So successful I am planning to do it here in the "new" place, but this time I may use several coats of bond crete as sealer before the estapol, but open to suggestions
    don't use force... use a bigger hammer

Default what is INDO BRACE PLY

TONG - YOU SAID " I used Indo Brace Ply, about 6mm, $16 for an 8x4 sheet. This is hardwood faced"
    Where do you buy this ply as I have never heard of it.
    I am in the same position of wanting to glue somekind of wood over my old laminex benches and this sounds ideal.

LJB - I think it is Indonesian bracing ply - available from most hardware stores and has meranti facing.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Al,

Didn't you know? Bitingmidge is part of the Sunshine Coast's white-shoe brigade

Rocker

My dad did exactly that with left over flooring Karri. Made a benchtop, and out of jarrah a vanity. Both look fantastic. If I knew how to add photos I would show you. Both species are Boral natural grade. No problems yet.

hi Dan - when you hit the "REPLY" button, scroll down below where you typoe and you will see a thing that says "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS" - click this and upload the images - they will not be accepted unless they are the correct filetype like .jpg, .bmp, gif etc. and less than 100K in total per post .....but get those two bits right and away you go -just like I did here

Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

Wildman,

How did your Jarrah floorboard kitchen bench top go?

I am about to glue mine up soon.

Hi Wildman,
    Recently made bench top from very old jarah. Wasn't T&G. We used biscuits and epoxy glue with fanatastic results.

Used a penetrating oil as we didn't want to have to scape a layer of in the future. Can't remember the product used, but now have reverted to cooking oils on regualr basis.

If you want more info I can get for you. Just contact me.

Reagrds,
    Conwood