Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It's official - the cause of the problem is due to not allowing the first coat of finish to adequately cure.

This morning I put on a second coat onto the other side of the plank. This side has been drying for more than 48 hours and it worked like a charm. No chunks, just a lovely satin finish.
    So much for the "recoat in 8 hours" direction on the can!

I'm going to let this lot sit until Friday morning and then I am going to sand again. This time I'll wait another 24 hours after sanding before I apply the third coat just in case the sanding exposes some surfaces which haven't properly dried beneath the chunks.

If this doesn't sound right, then please let me know.

Thanks,

M

That should be OK, just keep an eye on the areas that played up before if they act up you would be better off cleaning off the finish and doing it again, especially if the surfaces are the face side of your bed.

The stain states it is suitable for hard surfaces, the grain must have been soft where it acted up and absorbed a fair bit of the stain and was still not completely dry so when you put on the clear it messed up its drying time.

Its always a good idea to allow extra time for drying if you want a god job and you are not in a hurry to get the job done. I was once told "The paint can't be too dry but it can be too wet" which is right most of the time.

I use the satin Estapol like you used often and it is a good durable finish.

(If it goes on properly.)

Quote Originally Posted by IRONxMortlock View Post
    I'm using this finish and I used this stain.
    I am in the process of applying the same products to my project, so please keep posting.
    What I intended to do was to stain all the individual pieces and give them one coat of estapol then glue it together and finally on more coat on the finished job
    I previously used shellac and couldn't get an even finish. I sprayed it, used a $70.00 brush and rubbed it on with a singlet. I have made scrap out of 5 projects so far. I am using meranti come maple.

regards
    les

I agree that the problem is caused by the previous coat not being off but the detail... ah the detail.

I recon the following.
    the wood looks like it has porous sections.
    the stain was applied, some portions would hold more stain than others,
    the stain looked dry... hmmm
    but some solvent probaly remained in the porus depths.
    the first coat was applied
    some portions absorbed more solvent than others
    more solvent remained in the porus depths... now retained by the curing film
    the first coat wasn't completey off in some parts
    the second coat went on.... the solvent in the second coat softend the first coat where it wasn't off allowing more solvent to penetrate into those portions pulling finish and stain up out of the timber giving the dark lumps result.

now
    estipol make a sanding sealer which is good to use as a first coat & will give you a flatter base and is far easier to sand. it does also go off marginaly faster.

all this type of poly will blow out badly in drying time with reduction in temprture and increase in humidity.
    I have had estipol still not sand cleanly after 36 hours.

Oh you are thinning the estipol arent you? it is easier to brush and will give you a beter result if you thin 5 to 10% with turps.
    thinn too much and the finish will dry a little milky so don't overdo it.
    you just want to make it flow a bit better.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quick update:

I sanded yesterday and managed to smooth out most of the chunk fairly easily. I just applied a third coat and it looks like it is going to come up nicely.

Thanks for your help everyone! I'll post some pics once it's complete.

In the meantime, here's a pic I made in sketchup.

P.S. Soundman, thanks for the tip about diluting the estapol with turps. It went on much more smoothly.

I've finished the bed and it's come quite nicely even if I do say so myself.

Frame and bed head is solid tassy oak and the slats are made of pine. As promised here're a couple of pictures.

Thanks for your help again everyone,

M

Nice work, looks great. glad it turned out okay for you
    Reality is no background music.
    Cheers John