Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tripoli powder is a friable abrasive, that means as the particles break up they remain sharp. What this means is the more you work it the finer it gets and smoother the finish.

This is also why EEE from Ubeaut works so well.

Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post
    First, no you are not asking too many questions, that's how you find out about things. The tumbler is about 500mm diameter and about 400mm wide. Yep the speed is about right. I do about an ice cream bucket (two litres) at a time, I could do a lot more, but they take a while to make. Actually there is a few different grits in there, but they are all old pieces before they go in.
    Photos of what, are you after? The tumbler or the buttons?
    The motor drives a lay shaft, which drives a large wooden pully about 500mm diameter.
    I can take some photos tomorrow, of the tumbler and post them tomorrow night if you like.
    Jim
    My mark 1 tumbler is about 280 diameter and about 440 wide designed to fit into a cement mixer. This is all trial and error at the moment and if succesful I'll attempt to make one with an axle(?) running through it with a pulley attached and belt driven by an unkown type of electric motor.

I have already sanded the Huon Pine to 320# and planned to just use very fine sawdust or maybe Talc powder.

If you don't mind sending pictures of both your tumbler and buttons, no rush.

Thanks Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzi View Post
    Tripoli powder is a friable abrasive, that means as the particles break up they remain sharp. What this means is the more you work it the finer it gets and smoother the finish.

This is also why EEE from Ubeaut works so well.
    Thanks Cruzi, so you reckon Tripoli powder rather than Talc powder?

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post
    I'm am unsure of the abrasive abilities of Talc but Tripoli should give you a fine finish, the longer you work it the finer it should get.

<SMALL>Thanks Cruzi</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Perhaps I should contact Ubeaut for advise on the Talc versus Tripoli dilemma. With what you say about Tripoli's properties it should do the job I'm asking but I'm still curious about Talc or even Pumice. </SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Here's what Ubeaut says about Talcum Powder:</SMALL>
    <SMALL></SMALL>
    <SMALL>Talc is used for many applications in woodworking. From making gesso to be used as a decorative finish or as a grain filler etc. to use as a lubricant and fine abrasive, this is a versatile product, with uses that are only limited by your imagination.</SMALL>

Default Update

Ready to rock'n roll tumbler waiting for a dance with a keen cement mixer
    Attachment 92450
    Back end attached
    Attachment 92451
    Front end attached
    Attachment 92452
    Hatch attached

Well done. When is the first tumble-run, and what are you going to put at risk?

soth

Quote Originally Posted by masoth View Post
    Well done. When is the first tumble-run, and what are you going to put at risk?

soth
    gday soth

Firstly I have to hire the cement mixer for a weekend to tumble some other things I've been working on which don't need the wooden tumbler to protect them. Secondly I need to finalise the abrasive to use. Tripoli powder is leading followed by Huon Pine saw dust with Talcum powder and the dark horse Pumice powder following.

1000 Huon Pine hearts are on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by springwater View Post

I used my Tripoli powder last week on another CL box (which I'll post shortly) The end result was absolutely incredible, I had the hardest time keeping my hands off the box to let the wax set!!!

So I'd definitely go the tripoli powder. It truly is amazing!

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    I used my Tripoli powder last week on another CL box (which I'll post shortly) The end result was absolutely incredible, I had the hardest time keeping my hands off the box to let the wax set!!!

So I'd definitely go the tripoli powder. It truly is amazing!

cheers
    Wendy
    I'm hearing Tripoli, do you think it would discolour "raw" Huon Pine?
    Please excuse my ignorance, what's a CL box? Closed Lid maybe?
    Thanks Ruffly

Sorry about the delay, had a few visitors over the past few days. Here is some photos of my tumbler.
    1. A side view
    2. An end view
    3. An end view showing the motor driving a lay shaft. Motor pulley is 50mm the shaft pulley is 225mm. A 50mm pulley on the lay shaft drives a 500mm wooden pulley.
    4. Top view showing the trap door latch.
    5. Trap door open. The shaft runs straight through the drum and the sand paper can be seen in the bottom.
    Can't find any unsanded buttons to compare with the finished product.

In your case I would be tempted to use lots of huon pine shavings instead of an abrasive, this will minimise self dings. Hope this helps you.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Question

Okay, excuse my ignorance here, but:

1. What is a Huon Pine heart?

2. Why would you "tumble" wood around like that? Wouldn't it dint?

Thanks,
    Af.

Thanks for the insight Jim I reckon I could make something like that after seeing your setup, pictures explain a lot. It would certainly be cheaper than hiring a cement mixer. Yeah I've thought about the Huon shavings which I collected during the carving process but I think they might be too sharp. I also saved a lot of the saw dust when I cut the initial shape out with a scroll saw but probably won't be enough to soften the blows, I could mix it with the sifted Radiata Pine saw dust that has accumulated around my old table saw. I assume your buttons are of harder wood therefore you don't have to worry about the ding factor.

G'day AF

I don't want a pearl smooth finish, a few dings, dints and shallow depressions will be alright but don't want smashes, chips, scratches or splinters, hard to explain but I'll know when I see it.

These are Huon Pine hearts:
    Attachment 92554
    They will be strung a bit like this (250 hearts) but won't have the vertical support. They will hang from a horizontal rail:
    Attachment 92557

Hi Springwater

Have you thought about fixing the drum to a variable speed lathe? That is if you have a large size lathe. It would be easier than setting up a contraption like that. I am sure you can find a chuck strong enough to hold it.

Timberbits.

Quote Originally Posted by timberbits View Post
    Hi Springwater

Have you thought about fixing the drum to a variable speed lathe? That is if you have a large size lathe. It would be easier than setting up a contraption like that. I am sure you can find a chuck strong enough to hold it.

Timberbits.
    G'day Timberbits

Thanks for the idea but I haven't got a lathe.